Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration At Low RPM

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration at low RPMs

Lately I've been getting a bit of vibration at low RPMs. When sitting with the clutch in the idle will dip lower than normal...and I will also get an intermittent vibration felt through the driver seat. Also when first engaging the clutch coming off a stop I'm getting more vibration than normal...not felt through the petal...but some panes in the car will buzz...and you can feel it in the driver's seat. Nothing major...just wasn't there before. Clutch engages fine, and it is not slipping. Is this clutch related....or should I look somewhere else?? Thanks!!
Old 11-08-2004, 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had a similar problem right after my Exedy install. It wasn't the clutch though. Check your exhaust, g-load brace, and cross member. This was my problem. For some reason I never had it until the clutch install. Not alot of info, but I hope it helps!
Old 11-09-2004, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually that is a lot of help, thank you. Ever since I installed my loudmouth I've had issues with the Y-Pipe coming in contact with the G-Load Brace. And as I just looked under the car I see that the brace is connected to the body right under the drivers seat....so I can see how vibrations could be easily transmitted up through there.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Vibration At Low RPM

Feeling slight vibration up through the driver's seat at low RPMs. Thinking it could be the Y-Pipe making contact with that black structural brace. I've had problems in the past with my exhaust hitting that....ever since I installed the Loudmouth. Have anyone else experienced this and does this sound like a plausible explination for the vibrations. Has anybody ever just taken that brace off the car??
Old 11-09-2004, 01:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same problem with my ory hitting the floor. I've never heard the loud mouth in person but it could be a differant resinating tone that is causing you to hear it now,rather than with your old setup. The balck brace your talking about, the new pipe might be hitting that too. I didnt realy see a need for it, But i let mine on, some one else might chime in about that. Also that brace might keep the drive shaft in the car if the ujoint broke. good luck.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

What kind of y-pipe you got?
Old 11-09-2004, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's the stock Y. It crosses over the brace right where the loudmouth hooks up with the pipe. Just by looking under the car it is apparent that there is almost no clearence between the pipe and the brace. I had a problem with the pipe hitting the brace when I went over bumps...made an awful clunking noise. Solved that problem by attaching a piece of heater hose to the back end of the brace. However it appears that the front end of the brace may be coming into contact with the pipe. There is no other noises coming from the car like rattling or clunking. This just happens at very low RPM, like if I bog a little. I had heard that the brace is a necessary part of the car to keep the body from flexing...but it seems that from reading a few posts on here that people have ditched that piece though.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cool, glad I could help. My vibration got so loud that I stopped driving my car thinking that it was something much more serious. By the time I finally got it out to the shop that put in the clutch (thinking it was related), they fixed it for free. Just bend or grind out the area where it looks like it's hitting! Good Luck
Old 11-10-2004, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TTT....is it okay if I just take that brace off??
Old 11-10-2004, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the panhard support brace.

Some say it's structural and not to be messed with, others say get rid of it. Either way, BMR makes a kit to relocate it:
http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-bodySuspension.htm