Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

????Newbie Questions????

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 08:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy ????Newbie Questions????

I have had my '98 T/A for 3 months now (2 trans rebuilds and now a rod knock ).

One question is now that I have pulled the motor out of the car, how do I know if I should put the cam in straight up or advace or retard it (mods in sig)? Im transferring my cam to the 6.0L shortblock that should be here next week.

Next, how do I torque the rocker bolts? They are just bolt down rockers not stud mount. Do they need to be done with one valve closed and the other starting to close? Or can the just be torqued down no matter where the valve is?

How do I check the timing since there is no distributor?

Also, is the sensor that is next to the oil pressure sensor the cam sensor? How do I get it out of the block?

PLEASE HELP!!!!! I don't know anyone in my area that can help me.

Thanks in advance.

I need some beeeeeer after today.

Last edited by 8UR SVT; 11-09-2004 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:59 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

unless you have an adj. timing chain you'll have to install it dot-to-dot "straight up". the cam most likely has 2 or 4* advance ground it which would put it on a 110 or 108 icl respectively. for rockers just torque down to spec (22 ft-lbs) in sequence, then turn the crank 180* and recheck the tq. you'll need a data logger to check timing; efi, hptuner, diablo all allow you to do it.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude...you're doing an engine install without a manual?? Depending on a bunch of total strangers for specs, procedures, etc. is pretty brave.

A lot of what you're asking is already posted here and discussed at length, check out the search button and tap the knowledge.

Originally Posted by 8UR SVT
I have had my '98 T/A for 3 months now (2 trans rebuilds and now a rod knock ).

One question is now that I have pulled the motor out of the car, how do I know if I should put the cam in straight up or advace or retard it (mods in sig)? Im transferring my cam to the 6.0L shortblock that should be here next week.

Next, how do I torque the rocker bolts? They are just bolt down rockers not stud mount. Do they need to be done with one valve closed and the other starting to close? Or can the just be torqued down no matter where the valve is?

How do I check the timing since there is no distributor?

Also, is the sensor that is next to the oil pressure sensor the cam sensor? How do I get it out of the block?
Old 11-10-2004, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info JRP.

But I still dont know how to get the crank sensor or cam sensor out. What am I doing wrong?

This is my first LS1 and its no where near as easy to work on as a 302.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:17 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 8UR SVT
Thanks for the info JRP.

But I still dont know how to get the crank sensor or cam sensor out. What am I doing wrong?

This is my first LS1 and its no where near as easy to work on as a 302.
if its anything like the oil pressure sending unit you'll need a special tool