View Full Version : Bent Fenders after Oil Change

SS3933
11-10-2004, 08:20 PM
I'm sure someone has encountered this. I took my car into work to day (dealership) and had the oil changed. I didn't notice it until I got home that the bottoms of both fenders have been pushed out about 3/4" of an inch from the rest of the body. It's caused by jacking the car using the fender tabs underneath the car. Before I go to the service manager tomorrow does anyone know if this is just a simple matter of hammering the "now" bent tabs back into place or is there more to it than that?
Thanks

2001FireBird
11-10-2004, 08:38 PM
Yeah my homeboy did the same shit when I placed Eibach springs on my car. He didn't know you were suppose to place them on the chassis points. It wasn't that bad I guess, but it did piss me off. I just gently used a hammer and pounded it little by little back into place. Looks fine now, but there's a little play on it. But other than that you could fix it easy.

LANDONZ
11-11-2004, 01:19 AM
Take some pliers and grip it and pry it inword..thats what i did for mine!

y2k_ta
11-11-2004, 08:07 AM
Mine got bent at a body shop, but luckily the fenders weren't affected in any way. Why anyone would think that that little bracket would support the weight of the car is beyond me....

NOBR8KSS
11-11-2004, 11:50 AM
One side on mine completely broke off... on the other side I used a 3lb hammer and a 2x4 to bend it back into place. It worked fine, but the broken side had to be replaced. It took me 3 months to get the shop to pay for it.

01 Red WS6
11-11-2004, 02:36 PM
Mine are bent but my fenders are fine. I want to fix it but just havent had time yet

tuffluck
11-11-2004, 03:34 PM
jeez, someone jacked up the car in the wrong spot, huh? someone did that to one side of my car also. the pliar trick works fine. if you actually take out the screw that holds the fender to the underside of the car, you can get a better grip on the metal to bend it back more properly. then you can just screw the fender right back into place after that. it's a common problem; gm didn't engineer those fenders in the most "don't jack your car up here" kind of way.

01 Red WS6
11-11-2004, 03:52 PM
I wish I could take the bolt out but it is bent in a way that I cant get it out. Ill get around to it one of these days.

405pathfinders
11-12-2004, 10:47 AM
Same thing happened to me. I fixed it the same way as everyone else.... 2x4 and hammer. However, I wouldn't put it off for too long as I found that dust/dirt build up within the door joints when the fender is out that far. I don't know exactly why....mabye it causes a low pressure area and sucks the dirt in or something but either way it made my door sound awful until I cleaned it out real good.

PendragonZ
11-12-2004, 11:42 AM
Hey guys, be careful using a hammer on this piece. I had the fender treatment on my car (gotta love buying used :( ) and tried the hammer method. Broke the plastic around one of the bolts. Best to use some pliers to persuade it back into place. Use a cloth in the pliers if you're worried about scratching anything.

MeentSS02
11-12-2004, 12:18 PM
Here's what you do:

Items needed:
1 - Rubber Mallet
1 - Sledgehammer
1 - 2x4, probably about 18" long or so

First, take the 2x4 and place it against the tab, and gently "persuade" the tab back into place with the rubber mallet. Next, take the sledgehammer and put it in your car. Drive to the dealership. Use said hammer to break the moron's toes that thought they could jack the car up by that point. I've had it happen twice, and they haven't found the bodies yet :secret2:

SS3933
11-16-2004, 07:36 PM
Service manager himself fixed it but but broke a small peice around one of the bolts. Gonna start changing my own oil. Sometimes you just can't win. Other than the small broken peice the fenders look perfectly fine again.

Roarin_8
11-16-2004, 08:03 PM
I noticed that also on mine, just on one side. Tightened up the screws, not as bad before so I'll use the plier method to finish it up. :nod:

WhiteDeathLS1
11-16-2004, 08:34 PM
Here's what you do:

Items needed:
1 - Rubber Mallet
1 - Sledgehammer
1 - 2x4, probably about 18" long or so

First, take the 2x4 and place it against the tab, and gently "persuade" the tab back into place with the rubber mallet. Next, take the sledgehammer and put it in your car. Drive to the dealership. Use said hammer to break the moron's toes that thought they could jack the car up by that point. I've had it happen twice, and they haven't found the bodies yet :secret2:I particularly like this quick fix. ;)

EviLS1
11-17-2004, 05:22 AM
Wouldn't they use a lift at a dealership? That's ridiculous IMO

Oscar Will
11-17-2004, 09:02 AM
They would use a lift at a dealership but your standard post type hoist with arms/pads has to be properly positioned on an F-body or you'll tweak the front fenders EVERY time. That's one of the first things we go over with new employees.

Shirt_Ripper
11-21-2004, 05:56 PM
One more thing. After bending the fender tabs out and then back youre bound to cause some of the paint to come off, so you want to make sure you cover the damage with paint or undercoating.

Shirt_Ripper
11-21-2004, 05:56 PM
One more thing. After bending the fender tabs out and then back youre bound to cause some of the paint to come off, so you want to make sure you cover the damage with paint or undercoating.

davered00ss
11-21-2004, 06:31 PM
Use some vice grips or your hands and bend them back in. i would take it back to them and make them fix it.

Zach@Texas-Speed
11-21-2004, 07:09 PM
if someone doesnt know the proper place to jack up the car....they have NO buisness working on one

boosted03cobra
11-22-2004, 01:11 AM
i would go back and bitch if you cry hard enough they will fix it the customer is always right

Jeremiah
11-23-2004, 09:57 PM
I do bodywork for a living and have repaired several with the same problem.

One thing that was not mentioned was to heat the fender lip with a heat gun before bending it back in place. The heat softens the plastic and allows the fender lip to easily bend into place without cracking. Depending on how bad it is bent most of them will crack/break if not heated before hand.

Remove the bolts, bend the steel tab back in place, then heat the fender lip and slowly bend it back into position.

The is the best method I have found.

Ferocity02
11-23-2004, 10:39 PM
Mine were bent too, but I used pliers to bend them back. Also, one of the fenders broke at the tab so I just used epoxy and fiberglass to re-attach it.

alivegy
11-24-2004, 02:53 PM
This is why I always insist on watching my car be lifted if I have to take it somewhere. When I was shopping for my camaro I couldn't believe how many of them I saw that had this problem and no one fixed, well over 50
5 of the cars i saw.

BLULS1Z28
11-25-2004, 02:48 PM
this happened to me it cracked the fenders and the mecanic put it under the rocker and dented that to a 1000$ repair and the shop told me it wasnt there problem

frankdatank01
11-27-2004, 01:01 PM
This happen to me Take it back to them to make it right. There are braces underneath the fender that might need replaced. Also ask them to weld in you SFCs for free as a good jesture.

firecrotch59
11-27-2004, 04:32 PM
Hey do any of you guys have pics of this because I was wondering if this happened to me also. Thanks

firecrotch59
11-27-2004, 04:54 PM
oh god I see it now. I have a gap between my passenger fender and the door large enough to fit my finger into. Wow I should be shot for not seeing that.

01Z0H6
11-27-2004, 08:35 PM
Here.
unbolt the tabs & bent the fender tab inward.
then bolt the tab back in place.

change your oil yourself. Don't let some dick F!@#% up your car.
i had some jackass do the same thing @ Dicount tire. I specifically told the guy to watch where he was javking the car. He bent both tabs out! I went postal on he & the manager. Do it yourself.!
Not difficult @ all.
Good luck.

gwj
11-29-2004, 12:06 AM
Doesn't it just suck? Took mine in for it's first tire rotation at a private shop I've done business with for years. Some little dipshit that worked there for about 2 weeks (probably thanks to me) lifted mine and bent the mounting tabs on one side toward the outside (fixed w/BIG F Channellocks); bent the other side toward the inside and ripped the bottom. About $100 to fix the rip, I took it out in trade at the shop. I now watch to see if a FNG puts mine on the lift, the old timers know how to do it right.
-Grumpy old man- :punch:

ALPHA Q
12-01-2004, 01:38 AM
Does any1 have pics? 'cause I think I have that problem. :confused:

Sykokilla
06-25-2009, 02:23 AM
there you go buddy i know it took 5 years but i wont let you down!

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg219/sykokilla77/th_ls1tech015.jpg (http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg219/sykokilla77/?action=view&current=ls1tech015.jpg)

rican_boi310
06-25-2009, 03:11 AM
Can anyone post pics of the proper lift points??

LS6427
06-25-2009, 12:45 PM
I'm sure someone has encountered this. I took my car into work to day (dealership) and had the oil changed. I didn't notice it until I got home that the bottoms of both fenders have been pushed out about 3/4" of an inch from the rest of the body. It's caused by jacking the car using the fender tabs underneath the car. Before I go to the service manager tomorrow does anyone know if this is just a simple matter of hammering the "now" bent tabs back into place or is there more to it than that?
Thanks

This is yet another stupid design by the idiots at GM. The jack points that GM says to use.....damages the body panels.

GM and all dealerships are supposed to know this. You need to make a stink about it and have them fix it at no charge.

There's also a nymber you can call, I think its like 800-pm-cares or maybe its gm-cares.

Either way, they will fix it for free if you show them how pissed you are. Don't wait.