Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally time for some mods...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 08:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Finally time for some mods...

I'm still doing a bit of debating, but I'm really leaning towards doing some mods to my WS6... I just don't want things to snowball and end up with another car like my '98 turned out to be.

Anyway, I'm leaning heavily towards a set of AFR 205's, a smallish cam, headers/catted y-pipe, catback (yes, my exhaust is still 100% stock), and a new clutch (which I need anyway). Driveability and street manners are of major concern, and I want to avoid having to get custom tuning if I can. I'm thinking if I stick with one of the popular "stealth" cams out there, I'd be OK in that aspect.

Soooo..... What kind of numbers do you guys think are possible with a mild cammed AFR headed setup like that? What about cam choices? Again, I'd prefer to avoid tuning all together, as there is really nobody local to me, and I no longer have LS1Edit (and don't want to have to purchase that again). The no tuning requirement also pretty much dictates that the useable powerband needs to remain pretty much where it is stock.

On the other hand, it's very tempting to go the biggish cam route and suck it up and have the car tuned somewhere...

Opinions? Suggestions?
Old 11-12-2004, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

Good question - that is not dissimilar to the setup I am looking at.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Afr's,mti stealth 11, hp tuners and tune it yourself.425 hp,400 tq ,28 mpg and sneaky.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by z-ya
Afr's,mti stealth 11, hp tuners and tune it yourself.425 hp,400 tq ,28 mpg and sneaky.
Something like that setup is exactly what I've got in mind... I guess re-purchasing some tuning software and making a few changes wouldn't be the end of the world...
Old 11-12-2004, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GeorgeC
Something like that setup is exactly what I've got in mind... I guess re-purchasing some tuning software and making a few changes wouldn't be the end of the world...

Why not got F/I this time, you've already done the N/A car once.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by term
Why not got F/I this time, you've already done the N/A car once.
I've actually considered that as well, but the price difference is pretty major considering the additional "extras" that would be required with a blower/turbo... The added tuning difficulty, fueling requirements, engine bay room, etc... I don't really want to go down that path with this car. I did that years ago with the '93 Formula I used to have (Vortech), so I'm not a total stranger to the FI stuff. A turbo (or two) would be really nice though, since I could make the power I want to and suffer no real loss of driveability. It's just a bit more money to go that route, and I'm not really comfortable spending that right now.

I'm still contemplating, though...
Old 11-12-2004, 10:27 AM
FormerVendor

I understand completely where you are coming from on this one. I want to mod my car also but don't want to take it to the point that it isn't a good daily driver. Also agree that the FI route would turn into a good chunk of money.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I am still reading on some different setups but can't seem to make up my mind based on those results alone.

I am thinking very seriously about giving Futral Motorsports or Thunder Racing a call and having them help me out.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Man I say don't mod it. Once you start its a never ending downhill slump, just leave it stock...

I suspect there is some part of you though that wants the full blown race car agan though heheehe

But if you want to keep it extremely streetable and cheap why not just get a stealth cam like you were saying keep the stock heads get supporting mods like headers with cats etc and put on a small shot of nitrous just incase you do get into a serious race.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:02 PM
11 Second Club

do a stealth cam stage 2 heads wish your car was a auto would be easier to keep the rearend stock
Old 11-12-2004, 01:41 PM
SSU Moderator

I say if you're spending more than 2g's on heads...tuning software shouldn't be a big deal (if you have a laptop). If not, get a SMALL cam (>220 dur.) and a set of AFR's. you should hit 400rw, especially w/ 3.42's...but it may be close w/o a tune. either way good luck to ya!