Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing springs on my Absolute Speed Heads, standard parts???

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 06:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Question Replacing springs on my Absolute Speed Heads, standard parts???

I bought my Absolute Speed STG 2 heads back in December 2002.

Jay told me that they have Manley Valves, ISKY 295D Springs, and Titanium Retainers when I bought them.

Since no one can ever get ahold of Jay, I hope some of you guys can answer some of my questions.

- If I replace my springs, do I have to use ISKY springs again or can I use other brands?
- Can I reuse my Titanium retainers with other brands of springs? What brand are my retainers?
- Are all keepers the same? Are mine stockers?
- Will I have to have my spring seats redone to use other springs than the ISKY 295Ds?
- Is it necessary to check each spring pressure and use shims for new springs? I'm only spinning to 6,600-6,700 RPMs.

Thanks in advance guys!!!

Bill
Old 11-15-2004, 06:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

- If I replace my springs, do I have to use ISKY springs again or can I use other brands? yes you can use other brands
- Can I reuse my Titanium retainers with other brands of springs? What brand are my retainers? yes you can as long as the NEW springs are the same diameter- Are all keepers the same? Are mine stockers?
- Will I have to have my spring seats redone to use other springs than the ISKY 295Ds? no, if you use comparable springs
- Is it necessary to check each spring pressure and use shims for new springs? I'm only spinning to 6,600-6,700 RPMs. depends what springs you'll use

What is your cam lifts?
Old 11-15-2004, 08:48 AM
TECH Addict

Right now I am at .575 lift, but I will probably be going to the MTI Stealth II cam with .581 lift.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

As I mentionned in my PM, run the lightest valvetrain possible.
Comp 918's/Titanium Ret./Super 7 locks/02 LS6 valves (it makes a difference) Oh and .035 crome molly p-rods.Stock rockers.
With those heads and full bolt ons, you should see ~420rwhp with 93 octane gas and the proper tune.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:37 AM
TECH Addict

I called MTI about swaping out my ISKY Springs and ISKY Titanium retainers for Manley parts and they were not sure if everything was going to work with my valves. They were suppose to send me a email after they talked to their machinest.

I also called Thunder and they said that I should change my seats but in order to do that, I am going to have to replace/remove my valve seals.

How hard is it to change out the valve seals? Just pull them off and slide the new ones on?

Bill
Old 12-05-2004, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Billiumss
I called MTI about swaping out my ISKY Springs and ISKY Titanium retainers for Manley parts and they were not sure if everything was going to work with my valves. They were suppose to send me a email after they talked to their machinest.

I also called Thunder and they said that I should change my seats but in order to do that, I am going to have to replace/remove my valve seals.

How hard is it to change out the valve seals? Just pull them off and slide the new ones on?

Bill

Yep,just pull off the old ones,oush on the new ones.The PRC spring kit comes with all the parts you need.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

What is a "PRC Spring Kit"?
Old 12-07-2004, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Precision Race Components. They make a dual valvespring kit that has the springs, seats, and titanium retainers. Very similar to the Patriot Gold kit except the PRC uses stock locks.