Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New and need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New and need help

Nice site id like to say first. Everyone iv talked to seems very friendly and willing to help. very cool!!

Well i was going to get a 2k2 subaru wrx but i drove a camaro yesterday and like them. They seem really fun. This is going to be my first car besides my jeep(only 15) dont say not to get it because of my age. my money. going on...What is a better choice in years? 98 or 99? and what about transmissions? I am a manual fan but was told automatic camaros will beat it? not sure on that so tell me what ya think there. I want a Z28 forsure. I am planning to mod it. how far you ask? far enough to get good numbers on a 1/4 and be reconized. I will not really drag it but would like to have power when needed. will be a summer car only(have jeep for winter) I will have more Questions. thats just some.
Thanks guys and girls.
Derek Blake

P.S. leave your AIM sn if you dont mind to help me out. THANKS!!
Old 11-16-2004, 05:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Good choice, you'll be happy that you chose the Z28 over any import.

2. No difference between the 98/99 model years, so find one with less miles, little to no mods (so you can do it yourself) and a good price.

3. Manuals are more fun to drive, and IMO take better to modding, however, I'm only an average stick driver, and I actually had better quarter-mile times in my last car (automatic).

Good Luck.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:44 AM
Chop-Foo Director

As far as 98/99 goes, it's a toss up. If you can find something 01/02, you'll be starting a little ahead of the game. They already have an LS6 intake, better exhaust manifolds, numerous little things that give them the advantage.

Between manual and auto, stock for stock, the manual has the advantage. However, you can add a torque converter to the auto and have the advantage. For most serious drag racers, auto's seem to have the edge. They are also much more consistant than rowing gears. If you're not going to go to the track much, and enjoy the art of driving (shifting), than go with the manual.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:20 PM
Teching In

so if i get a torque converter auto vs a manual with short sfifter best driver the auto would win?
Old 11-17-2004, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

nobody said that. it depends on a lot of things. different cars are good for different things. i think you'll find once you're goin really fast(9's and lower) you'll find people will be using th400's and the like lol. i'm a m6 guy myself
Old 11-17-2004, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

I'm sure I'll get blasted for this but... I couldn't imagine putting my 15 y.o. son behind the wheel of an LS1 car. Granted, if you drive like a jackass a person could get hurt driving a taurus but the temptation is too great when you have a 300+ h.p. car. Maybe you are the most responsible 15 y.o. in the free world (and I hope you are), but in all likelihood you are not and odds are you will wreck the car. I'm sure you've heard all this before so feel free to ignore me.

With that being said, a 98 or 99 are for the most part equal. As far as tranny choice, I've had both (auto in my 96 Formy and T56 in my 01 Hawk) I think the auto was better in straight line runs, but the T56 offers more control in the turns. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:45 PM
Teching In

Yeah, iv heard it. i drive safe. not worth risking my life or a nice car. if i feel tempted to go fast ill just go to teh tracks where its safer. Hey my dad had a Corvette when he was my age. not really much say in it.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:01 PM
TECH Resident

Just be very very careful. These cars have alot of power stock. Just when you think you have control, things can get out of hand.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:13 PM
Teching In

Yeah i hear ya. Expecially in rain.