Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c1 cam and slp LTs..not making power

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default c1 cam and slp LTs..not making power

i put down 323/339 with no cats, cutout, lid through an auto.the car has always put down good numbers. at that time it also ran 12.90s at 109 with a 1.95 60ft. i added this c1 cam and slp long tubes and it only put down 349/352. whats wrong? im not tuned..and the egr wouldnt reach the connector on the long tubes so thats not plugged. i just didnt connect the wires on the egr solenoid. could that be robbing that much power? it throwing those codes and maybe an egr leak? i dont know where to start looking but something is wrong. my y pipe is also 2.5 inch and non mandrel bent. i had to do that for clearance issues as i am lowered 2 inches. i know thats taking some power but shouldnt be that much. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:57 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 99ls1guy
i put down 323/339 with no cats, cutout, lid through an auto.the car has always put down good numbers. at that time it also ran 12.90s at 109 with a 1.95 60ft. i added this c1 cam and slp long tubes and it only put down 349/352. whats wrong? im not tuned..and the egr wouldnt reach the connector on the long tubes so thats not plugged. i just didnt connect the wires on the egr solenoid. could that be robbing that much power? it throwing those codes and maybe an egr leak? dont know where to start looking but something is wrong.. my y pipe is also 2.5 inch and non mandrel bent. i had to do that for clearance issues as i am lowered 2 inches. i know thats taking some power but shouldnt be that much. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for rolling the eyes. let me tell you. it helps a lot!. btw the connection on the headers is welded shut. so i dont have the exhaust leak. i was TOLD that if you leave the wires disconnected on the egr solenoid that it will not open. so i figured thats not hurting anything. if im wrong please inform me. thats why i posted. and when i was on the dyno my A/F was read. it was 12.5. they told me that was pretty good. i know a tune will help. but if im not extremely rich or lean. what else can be done when tuning? i thought that was where the biggest power gains came from. ive seen these dyno 370 or more untuned. so i was expecting more. hell the guy i bought the cam from put down 384 through a converter.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:29 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dyno jet or mustang dyno, what was the AFR across the board, what was your timing at, any KR, ect
Old 11-16-2004, 05:26 PM
TECH Regular

I pulled numbers in sig untuned with stock ls1 heads and stock crap ls1 intake & longtubes (and numerous 02 codes) w/the almighty c1 cam (hehe).
Was it installed correctly ? Do try and connect everything you need correctly though if possible.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

it was on a dyno jet. a/f we read on only one pull. it was 12.5. thats all it said. so accross the board?. dyno graph looked nice and straight. VERY nice curve. i just wish it would have been higher. i dont know about timing or KR. we didnt run any kind of read program on it. going to in about a week when i go to get it tuned. by that time i hope to have everything plugged(egr) correctly. i was also throwing an o2 code. replaced the o2 sensor. havnt checked to see if it went bad again before the dyno. right after the cam install it fouled out the o2..replaced it..did it again. i thought i had that problem fixed though. but like i said i didnt read the codes to see if it had come back. as far as i know it was throwing just two different egr codes.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mirek
I pulled numbers in sig untuned with stock ls1 heads and stock crap ls1 intake & longtubes (and numerous 02 codes) w/the almighty c1 cam (hehe).
Was it installed correctly ? Do try and connect everything you need correctly though if possible.
me and a buddy installed the cam. he had done them before and is an ase certified tech. we didnt degree it or anything(i dont even know what that does) or if it needed to be done. so as far as i know it was installed right
Old 11-16-2004, 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

349/352 does not sound bad to me, especially in an untuned A4. Of course I only dyno'd 374/373 with cam AND heads, but I'm still pretty happy. I haven't seen many A4's with this cam and heads over 400rwhp through the cat convertors and catback.

Take it to Nick at MC Racing. He'll be able to get more ponies out of it and the driveablility will go up ten fold. He does an awesome job tuning.

Gary
Old 11-16-2004, 07:09 PM
TECH Regular

You have an issue besides tuning. Your car should not need any tuning. The car baselined approx what mine did and turning 12.9 on street tires before the cam is a DAMN good sign for how the car runs - assuming those were street tires. Different people get different results from a $500 tune.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

When I installed my C1, we checked and double checked the dots when it went in and it turned out dynoing crappy, too. Turned out, it was off one tooth. You'll be amazed what one tooth will do!

FWIW, my graphs stock and after the install were almost identical save for about 20 more torque and slightly higher power at the tires. After the adjustment, all was well. Night and day (as you can imagine). Hate to say it, but this may bear checking. We thought it was in right, too, and it jumped one.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mirek
You have an issue besides tuning. Your car should not need any tuning. The car baselined approx what mine did and turning 12.9 on street tires before the cam is a DAMN good sign for how the car runs - assuming those were street tires. Different people get different results from a $500 tune.
well it was on nittos. but 1.95 60ft. im lowered 2 inches so it has no squat. street tires never hook for me. even the nittos dont do too well. that was the only 1.9 i could ever hit. but it would run 13.0s all day long with a few 12.9s. and that was pre headers and cam. to the guy that said check and see if it was lined up..i hate to do it, but i will see what its like after the tune then i may have to check that out