Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAR wont start, HELP please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CAR wont start, HELP please!

I just installed a longblock into my car, im almost POSITIVE that ive got everything hooked up right. Ive got fuel, unscrewed the cap on the end of the fuel rail and pressed in the little valve and fuel squirted out. Ive got spark, pulled a spark plug attatched to the boot and tried to start it and i can see spark. It just makes this running noise, crank pulley is spinning pretty fast and everything, it just wont turn over. Its almost like the motor isnt building compression. Im pretty baffled at this point, and PRAYING there isnt a problem with the motor I got. Any ideas???
Brian
Old 11-16-2004, 03:24 PM
FormerVendor

Can you smell fuel coming from the exhaust? Are the injectors firing? The fuel pump is working if there is pressure at the rail.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BRIAN98Z28
I just installed a longblock into my car, im almost POSITIVE that ive got everything hooked up right. Ive got fuel, unscrewed the cap on the end of the fuel rail and pressed in the little valve and fuel squirted out. Ive got spark, pulled a spark plug attatched to the boot and tried to start it and i can see spark. It just makes this running noise, crank pulley is spinning pretty fast and everything, it just wont turn over. Its almost like the motor isnt building compression. Im pretty baffled at this point, and PRAYING there isnt a problem with the motor I got. Any ideas???
Brian
Is this motor used? Is it stock? Have you tried a compression test? Or used a vaccum gage while cranking? How much fuel pressure are you getting?
Old 11-16-2004, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

obviously the fuel pump is working, there is fuel at the injector rail. I can smell gas by the exhaust yes, very strong gas smell. As far as the injectors firing, i dunno, how do i check to make sure? The motor is a used 99 long block with 30,000 miles on it. Supposedly ran fine, motor was VERY clean. I had the oil pan off it and could see up inside and everything was VERY VERY clean, nice crosshatching on the cylinder walls. But I have not done a compression test or used a vaccum guage while cranking. Guess I'll try those things.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BRIAN98Z28
obviously the fuel pump is working, there is fuel at the injector rail. I can smell gas by the exhaust yes, very strong gas smell. As far as the injectors firing, i dunno, how do i check to make sure? The motor is a used 99 long block with 30,000 miles on it. Supposedly ran fine, motor was VERY clean. I had the oil pan off it and could see up inside and everything was VERY VERY clean, nice crosshatching on the cylinder walls. But I have not done a compression test or used a vaccum guage while cranking. Guess I'll try those things.
Make sure you battery is FULLY charged. Is your tach moving when you crank the motor? Have you tried holding the throttle open all the way and cranking it?
Old 11-16-2004, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

battery is fully charged, and yes i have tried gassing it while turning the key, didnt work. Its making a weird higher than normal pitched humming sound is the best way I could describe it.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

t t t
Old 11-17-2004, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A shot of aerosol starting fluid up the intake while cranking should help you troubleshoot. If it starts this way, then dies, you have fueling issues.

If no start, you have other problems...compression test would be my next move.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Man im a MORON, injector grounds to the back of the head werent hooked up.....so the injectors werent firing. towed the car to Jason at Fbody Central and he found the problem in about 2 minutes.