Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sucked water into the engone and blew it up, getting new one...suggestions?

Old 11-17-2004, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sucked water into the engone and blew it up, getting new one...suggestions?

Yesterday while going driving I encountered an intersection that had a lot deeper water than I thought (everyone else including a TA and vette drove through with no problem) and my engine sucked a bunch of water into it and blew two holes the size of my fist in the side of the block. Not an expereince I wish to go through again, I had never heard a motor sound like a snare drum before. So now I'm getting a new engine courtesy of my insurance company.

The check they are writing is for $7700 and they have told me that they don't care what engine I put in it. My 2002 SOM M6 Z-28 had some mild external mods like a lid and such but I am not a NO2 or blower guy at all.

I have thought of putting in the LS6 service engine (Part # 12498399) which is 405 HP, and is actually cheaper than the replacment LS1 than Scoggin Dickey Chevy had orginally planned to put in it and all of my externals bolt on. ($7500 vs $7700 out the door...)

I'm also talking to the guys at TSP (who are absolutely awesome to work with in any aspect). At the moment they are outlining a built engine that would remain in the cost area so I am not out of pocket more than the deductible ($500) to possibly replace it.

The LS6 would be covered under the original warrenty as stated by the service reps at SDC even though its a replacement performance engine and emissions is not a concern out here in west Texas, and I am kind of leaning in that direction just because of that.

I don't road race, drag race on a rare occasion at the track, and would like to do some more bolt ons and such in the future. I think the LS6 offers a great base to build on, but have always trusted the guys at TSP in their advice on parts and engines too. I was at about 365 hp before and would like to get over 400HP at the rear wheels since I have to go through this event anyway.

My car only had 23,000 miles on it and ran like a bat out of hell to begin with.

What would you do if you were me? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. One thing is for sure is that I will NOT be doing any driving in any more water at all after this experience!

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2004, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

For what it sounds like you want, the LS6 sounds like a good choice to build on. If you do decide you want more, you could probably build a pretty good motor with 7500 bucks, I know that SLP 408 shortblock is selling for a really good price, and you could get a nice set of heads from a sponsor here and possibly end up under that 7500 mark. But like I said, it sounds like you want a mild mannered street motor, the LS6 would be great for that.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to suggest a 408 iron block, a 346 is all you need. I'd look for a core and rebuild it. Alternatively, You can get good stock cube long block deals for around $5k.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well that certanly sucks. But I think in the long run you'll be happy it did lol. If I were in you boat I would go for stock crank, forged rods and pistions. Upgrade wile you have the chance. Then go with the vender you chose There recimidations with a head cam setup. Just my .02. Hope you enjoy your new mortor on the insurance co. tab
Old 11-17-2004, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joker
... My 2002 SOM M6 Z-28 had some mild external mods like a lid and such...
... I was at about 365 hp before and would like to get over 400HP at the rear wheels since I have to go through this event anyway...
Just curious, you said you were at 365 before but only had mild mods. Did you have headers?
Old 11-17-2004, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I certainly appreciate the response...Thank you for taking the time and effort. I know a bit about engines but am not even qualified to build one myself and install at all. So I am going to have to rely on the advice of those more qualified than myself.

I'm still waiting to see what the guys at TSP can do, should hear from them this afternoon. They have always done me right beore and are stand up people, I encourage anyone to take a close look at them. They dyno tuned my dad's truck and he is overjoyed at how much better it runs;power, shifting, response, etc...

A hot street engine that sounds nasty, makes over 400 hp at the rear wheels after a dyno tune, while being able to drive on a daily basis with my power accessories is what I'm aiming for, something I can build on in the future. I hope I'm not asking for too much but I also think that for 7500 I should be able to find a nice bullet installed and that is dependable for what I want.

Out of this bad event I am trying to at least get something much more fun to drive and play with as long as I have to go through this.

The LS6 is a great engine, and offers a great base. A built LS1 with better heads and a cam like a 231/237 would be awesome as well. I just think that while I have to deal with this I might as well upgrade and get the most out of my insurance dollar.

Lubbock is notorious for events like this and acording to the dealership they have quite a few cars that went through this in the past few days, and the tow truck driver mentioned that he has seen at least 20 cars that went through the same thing. He even mentioned a Dr.s ZO6 that is most likely going to end up being totaled because it got water up into the electronics of the dash and the interior. This city has never had good drainage even after spending millions on supposed improvements. It's nice living out here about 350 days out of the year, but the rest absolutely suck. For a moment I thought about sending the city a bill for the deductible but think they would most likely tell me to get bent like a connecting rod. Anyone else ever submit a bill to a city for damage? Just curious if that is even possible.

I would love to hear what others might have to say about the new engine options!
Old 11-17-2004, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Black Z-28: No headers yet, just free mods and lid, I am estimating based upon what another car did dyno that was very, very simular to mine. I bet I am being a little optimistic too....but I always have been...
Old 11-17-2004, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would get the ls6 engine and swap in a good cam, throttle body, add an underdrive pulley, headers, and a spec stage 3 clutch. If you pick your cam right, you should have about 425 rwhp with this set up.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 67SS&99Z28
I would get the ls6 engine and swap in a good cam, throttle body, add an underdrive pulley, headers, and a spec stage 3 clutch. If you pick your cam right, you should have about 425 rwhp with this set up.
i say listen to this guy, just put in something small and streetable like the TR224 and a good set of headers and you should be good to go.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:02 PM
10 Second Club

LS6 = start @ 405 hp & mod it or LS1 = start @ 325 hp & mod it

Hmmmmmm......seems pretty easy to me.

Anyway, sorry about your disaster. But it looks like it will work out for you. It's always nice to have 2 good choices to choose from.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

yes...to the above post though...when modding you will see a higher gain from the ls1...since the cam is what makes the ls6 motor have more hp...if you put a 224 cam in both they will come out with similar horsepower...the main difference being intake and heads...prolly around 20hp there...if i were you i would just have someone build you a forged motor...it would prolly cost less than what you are going to pay for a ls6 and be a better starting point
Old 11-17-2004, 02:43 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
I was going to suggest a 408 iron block, a 346 is all you need. I'd look for a core and rebuild it. Alternatively, You can get good stock cube long block deals for around $5k.
Also the iron block might be better-stronger next time he goes scuba driving!
Old 11-17-2004, 02:48 PM
10 Second Club

I can't believe no one else has brought this up... LPE has some pretty unbeatable deals going on right now. This is what I would be doing, no questions about it. You know you're getting just about the best quality out there and the prices are great now also.

350 short block $2300
383 short block for $5500

check it out
http://www.lingenfelter.com/packages01_short.asp
Old 11-17-2004, 03:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

i've never heard of lpe having unbeatable deals...
Old 11-17-2004, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay here's the deal as of today: I'm having TSP install the exact same LS6 that the dealership was going to do, they actually get the engine cheaper than I do through vendor discount, the installation cost is 400 to 500 bucks cheaper, includes a dyno tune AND a set of pacesetter coated headers and ORY to match to my SLP loudmouth. They are going to possibly install a dynomax bullet in case there is too much rasp. This also allows me to keep the warrenty as the engine is not being opened up.

This provides me with the power I was seeking and a great base to build on and instead of paying extra for installation and other costing from the dealership, the car gets the upgraded exhaust bolt ons. Plus, Joseph and Jason know how to really tune these engines.

I still am apply the difference towards my deductible which keeps my out of pocket lower than the original deductible.

The dealership still gets to sell the engine, TSP keeps a loyal customer and I walk away happy provided I don't go snorkeling with my front end again....

Does this sound like a win win situation to you folks?

Thank you for all of your input on this.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

hey, APE got me an iron 408 block with callies internals for 4420. they also have great deals on budget 346'z. How r ur heads? You can always have them prepped and get the headers, cam, valve springs, retainers, and wat else you can scanvange from the insurance check..............the iron block might be heavy (not really as big a deal as somethings said) but check out Mike K..hes pulling about 591ish at the flywheel with a "moderate cam"

well, mi dos centavos!!! good luck...........i also blew my motor, lack of oil and common sense and im now rebuilding.........turned out for the best though........
Old 11-17-2004, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

oh, also 350 for the callies rods..........
Old 11-17-2004, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

i think you came out on top with what you did...
Old 11-17-2004, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Makes me wanna go out and blow my engine! ( knock on wood )

J/k Sorry to hear about your car, but it seems like you got a good deal out of it.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I want to say thank you to everyone for the input, I appreciate it greatly!

I drive my car carefully, and usually do not drive it in bad weather at all unless necessary, however as you may have seen we have had some serious rain out here. I was driving and had no idea the intersection was as covered up as it was and when I was able to view it, I watched literally 80-100 other cars coming from different directions go through with no problem. These included at least one vette and one TA just in front of me a couple of cars up. It sucks to have happened, but the insurance co. (Farmers Insurance) has been standup about this, as have Scoggin Dickey Chevy and TSP.

TSP has worked on my car before, and Joseph, Jason, and Trevor and everyone else over there have always done me right, been courteous, helpful, and very easy to deal with.

However, dealerships charge dealership prices and the difference in cost between them and TSP was enough to assist me in making my decision. I have sent both TSP and Scoggin Dickey lots of business in the past (my dad in both cases). The difference in installation alone on this was $500 hundred bucks.

I think I am making out very well on this, I am not wealthy (grad student) enough to spend this kind of money or even a fraction of this on my car on a regular basis, so every cent counts in my case and I needed to get the most bang for the buck on this without going nuts. I think I know quite a bit about engines and cars but am nowhere near qualified to build and install one on my own. To get your opinions on what to do means alot to me.

Thanks a bunch!

Search this Thread