Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Spare PCM / LS1 EDIT / HPT question

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 09:14 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Quick Spare PCM / LS1 EDIT / HPT question

I bought a spare PCM from another '01 F-body. It has the same PN on the outside as my stock PCM. I want to test it to make sure everything is fine with it before I get my VIN programmed in it. I'd also like to read it with EDIT if I can.

What's the safest way to do this? Plug it into the stock harness and read it first? Then try to start the car? I CAN read another '01 PCM with EDIT can't I? Is there any risk of damaging anything doing this?

Also, can the new HP Tuners version program a new VIN into a PCM?

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2004, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1fastWS6
I bought a spare PCM from another '01 F-body. It has the same PN on the outside as my stock PCM. I want to test it to make sure everything is fine with it before I get my VIN programmed in it. I'd also like to read it with EDIT if I can.

What's the safest way to do this? Plug it into the stock harness and read it first? Then try to start the car? I CAN read another '01 PCM with EDIT can't I? Is there any risk of damaging anything doing this?

Also, can the new HP Tuners version program a new VIN into a PCM?

Thanks!

Install new PCM, read w/edit and look it over (the file) , reading it won't cause any problems... before starting the car i'd make sure the PCM isn't already tuned for a different setup (just open the file, check the IFR tables, MAF tables and timing advance tables)

Yes the new HPT can program a new VIN into it... but that won't allow LS1 Edit to be used with it.. FYI
LS1 Edit is PCM locked (requires the same PCM AND VIN be used)
Old 11-17-2004, 09:24 PM
8 Second Club

Thanks for the quick response horist. That's exactly what I needed. I asked about HPT 'cause I'm considering joining the dark side and that would save me from paying someone to change the VIN in the new PCM.

BTW, reading my EDIT tuned PCM with HPT shouldn't be a problem at all, correct? I don't want to lose my current tune if I trade in EDIT. I've spent a bunch of time on it.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1fastWS6
BTW, reading my EDIT tuned PCM with HPT shouldn't be a problem at all, correct? I don't want to lose my current tune if I trade in EDIT. I've spent a bunch of time on it.

Correct, HPT won't have a problem with it.. and the resulting .bin files will be unencrypted (you will have to use the ls1 edit software to view any old .ls1 files you may have since they encrypt their files)

There are plenty of stock .bins on the HPTuners repository (see link above) also in case you needed to go back to stock...