Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I may have a new free mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I may have a new free mod

Ok I got an idea when I was looking at my stock lid at silencer (don't have the funds yet for an aftermarket). seems to me like the silencer would take away a few hp, but I didn't want to hack it off and have it look like crap. So I cut some plastic pieces off a cup to fit the triangle shaped openings and sealed it with silicone so it is totally reversable. Am I the first one to do this? If so, what do you guys think about it?
Old 11-17-2004, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

have you tried the free ram air mod?
Old 11-17-2004, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

try removing the plastic fins on the inside of your lid too. Or you could just save yourself the time and buy a used aftermarket lid. There are usually for sale in the PARTS FOR SALE section of LS1tech.com
Old 11-17-2004, 10:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I have done the FRA mod. I plan to buy a lid with the settlement money from a drunk guy rear-ending me in my '69 SS. Hey ddellata I like the look of the SS hood on an RS. I have an RS aswell with the same wheels. I always wondered what it would look like, thanks for clarifying. BTW have you ever thought of removing the RS kit? My friends say I should but I'm kinda partial to it.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:02 AM
Launching!

Thats not an RS it is a Z28 with the Z sports apperance package(I think thats the name of it )
Old 11-18-2004, 01:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KimberWS6
Thats not an RS it is a Z28 with the Z sports apperance package(I think thats the name of it )
I think an RS is a V6 with a body kit and exhaust. Some Z28's have the RS body kit though.

As for the "free mod", I think spending the money for a new lid rather than beating around the bush is a better idea.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
As for the "free mod", I think spending the money for a new lid rather than beating around the bush is a better idea.

Especially since this isn't a baller item(hah....i'm kidding) like headers or a catback. Its just a lid, used you can get one in good condition for 60-70 bucks in the FS section most of the time.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

new.. naah. Many people modified there stock lids over the years, chopping off the bellows, replacing the whole inlet etc.. all of them I know eventually bought an aftermarket lid.

IMO, don't waste your time. Look for a cheap used lid in the classifieds.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jammon46
Yeah I have done the FRA mod. I plan to buy a lid with the settlement money from a drunk guy rear-ending me in my '69 SS. Hey ddellata I like the look of the SS hood on an RS. I have an RS aswell with the same wheels. I always wondered what it would look like, thanks for clarifying. BTW have you ever thought of removing the RS kit? My friends say I should but I'm kinda partial to it.
I've thought about taking off the RS ground effects, but I don't want to pay to have the holes on the front and rear bumpers filled in and painted. If I ever do take them off it will be if I ever put on an SS spoiler. I really like the way the front and sides look, but no the rear. I'll just leave them on for now. Thanks for the compliment.