Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

port matching??

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default port matching??

i have a set of 1 7/8" headers. can i use the header gasket and port match it to the head's exhaust port? i overlayed the gasket on the head, and i was surprised on how much bigger the header is compared to the exhaust port. any ideas would help. TIA.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How does the gasket fair when it is palced against the header? Is there material there to, or is it matched up? I removed a little material from the opening of my intake runners, but the exaust may be effected by the removal because the port is so short as compared to the intake side.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
How does the gasket fair when it is palced against the header? Is there material there to, or is it matched up? I removed a little material from the opening of my intake runners, but the exaust may be effected by the removal because the port is so short as compared to the intake side.
header/gasket is matching, but you have brought up an interesting point about the exhaust port.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ead+discussion

Bottom of page 2, and then on to page 3...I spoke to a guy afterward that knows his stuff (more so than what's in that thread...). He said if you can match just the top of the port to the headers with a spacer of some sort, it can be benefitial. I was warned not to match the botton of the port at all-leave the 'step' as-is. Also, because of how after-market 'shelf' header designs make a sharp turn down immediately after the flange for fitment purposes, a combo can benefit with a spacer identically matching the exhaust ports of the heads. I was able to fit a 3/4" spacer between the head and header flange of both sides with Victor headers. In any case, good luck with it and remember that all those little things can really add up in the end...