Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulley is squeeking.........

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pulley is squeeking.........

After I installed the new pulley tensioner is when I started to have problems, the pulley tensioner is adjustable and the stock one isn't so maybe that the problem, at fist I tightned the tensioner, then changed the tensioner pulley back to the stock pulley and the squeeking went away for a few days, and now the noise is back but worse then before. It now sounds like the pulley right below the power sterring fluid canister is making the noise and not the belt since I tightened the belt more and the noise did not go away. Also is the aftermarket pulley tensioner supposed to get so hot that is burns when touch? Need some advice. Please and Thank You in advance.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would think that the tensioner getting hot is a bad thing. what kind of shape was your belt it? Also the pulley under the power stearing is the alternatior "at least on my 00"
Old 11-21-2004, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

The belt is brand new a week old or so. I will check the alternator pulley it seem it can be that one or the one above the alterator pulley, hopfully it's the alternater pulley and not some major problem, im just so dam frustrated because I replaced one thing and now I have to replace another.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default update

Took the power steering belt off and the squeeking went away. Using the search butten I found a post and a bulleten number with all parts needed to replace, it says replace belt, alternator bracket and double idler pulley. I will try this and hope it works.the post mentioned this bulletin

Last edited by 98BXR; 11-21-2004 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

As mentioned I will be replacing the parts I listed above - which I have already ordered. But before those parts arrive, I decided to purchase another belt, this time a stock gm belt and guess what.... the squeeking stopped, no bull. And yes, the belt I just replaced was almost brand new, days old. But the gm belt costed twice the price. I will still end up replacing the parts the bulletin advices to change since I already ordered them, but if you have a squeeking belt first try a gm belt, would have saved me some money had I done this first, before I started ordering parts, but having the squeeking gone is not bad at all.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh and the problem was not the tensior or the pulley, the falt was the belt all along.

The belt number is #12569527 and you can actually get the belt thru this sites sponer sdcgmparts, for half price.

Last edited by 98BXR; 11-24-2004 at 11:38 PM. Reason: update
Old 09-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Teching In

Your post hellped me, same issue, replace new NAPA belt with Goodyear Gatorback poly, no noise at all. This is after a new pulley and tensenor which did nothing.

Thanks