Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New LS1 owners, here's the perfect 1st mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 01:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up New LS1 owners, here's the perfect 1st mod

If you have recently purchased an LS1 F-body or have owned that stocker for a while saving up cash for mods. The best and one of the simplest first mods you could want is an awesome sounding GMMG chambered catback. It is the shared opinion of almost every member on this site that there isnt a better sounding cat back out there. And now is the perfect time to buy, because there is a group purchase taking place in the sales department. This is the way to go, you'd be hard pressed to find one used and your saving major cash with the GP. The base system costs 700.00 normally but you can have it AT YOUR DOOR for 625.00!!!! They accept check, money order, or paypal. No credit cards (only paypal). I am posting this thread because there is about a dozen of us who are going to commit to this and we only need a couple more to make it happen. You could say I am posting this for my own benefit, but owners of GMMG know that it will be beneficial to you to pick this system up at a discount.

The group purchase ends on NOV 30th, I'm working on extending that a little.

Hear the cat-back at LS1SOUNDS.COM

Link directly to the group purchase thread here:
www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232164

Mods forgive me for the shameless plug. You cant blame me for wanting to make this GP happen though.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered a SLP Loudmouth Catback for now..i got it sent to my door for $315 and its louder than my friends Borla System, and he likes the way it sounds better. to.

no one aroudn here has GMMG though..but it sounds pretty damn good i dunno about bein worth $700 though.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:52 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds good but $700 is a whole lot of money . Worth it if you got it tho.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:02 PM
TECH Resident

If I could aford it. I would have it!!
Old 11-22-2004, 07:24 PM
Staging Lane

i dont see what is so great about it where everyone has to buy it? i am just curious what the performance aspects are. 700 is a lot of money for a catback!
Old 11-23-2004, 03:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes it is alot of money, but it's shipped to your door for 625.00 not 700. If you had 75 bucks you wouldnt say you didnt have any money. I didnt say everyone needs to own it I was saying that, if you have the means, this system has top notch quality and top notch sound. The performance gains are equal to any free flowing catback, you wont have that open pipe sound though.(loudmouth/open borla) The GMMG is loud for sure, but more refined. MANY agree its worth the extra cash.

Check it out: GMMG Chambered exhaust
Old 11-23-2004, 10:44 AM
Launching!

Talking

Is spending over $500 for an exhaust system worth it? It is all relative. My father might say that I am dumb for buying a Trans Am when I could have bought a SunFire for 1/2 the price as either car would get me between home and work each weekday - and given me better gasoline mileage, lower insurance costs, less expensive replacement tires, etc. But if I am willing to pay an extra $15,000 or $20,000 or so to get a Trans Am over a SunFire, then paying a few extra hundred dollars to replace an exhaust system would make sense too for the same reason: it makes me happier!

By the way the OEM exhaust system on my car was in mint condition with about 12,000 miles on it when I removed it in one piece. It is made out of T304 stainless steel and would have lasted many, many more years/miles. But the GMMG exhaust system makes me happier.

Old 11-23-2004, 02:32 PM
11 Second Club

perfect 1st mod? i dont know, i think an airbox lid and bellows would make a better 1st mod, its cheaper and easyer to put on for newbies, the LoudMouth was my first mod but i think the airbox would be better for a newbie 1st mod
Old 11-23-2004, 11:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LiqudFire350
perfect 1st mod? i dont know, i think an airbox lid and bellows would make a better 1st mod, its cheaper and easyer to put on for newbies, the LoudMouth was my first mod but i think the airbox would be better for a newbie 1st mod
Thats true, changing the lid is about as easy as changing the filter. I wasnt trying to target total newbies. I was focusing on new owners (probably somewhat knowledgeable about cars) and peeps who have been saving up cash to mod their stock LS1. You know just trying to spread the word about the GP.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSWannabe
Thats true, changing the lid is about as easy as changing the filter. I wasnt trying to target total newbies. I was focusing on new owners (probably somewhat knowledgeable about cars) and peeps who have been saving up cash to mod their stock LS1. You know just trying to spread the word about the GP.
i think if you own a Z28 or formula, exhaust SHOULD be the first mod if possible. i COULD NOT deal with going from my LT1 with a gutted cat and a corsa catback to the "angry sewing-machine" noise coming out of stock, base model LS1 exhaust.

i actually had the loudmouth sitting in my driveway waiting to be bolted in the morning i brought home the 98. i owned a BONE STOCK LS1 for less than half an hour.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:30 AM
Launching!

Talking

I also think the skip-shift eliminator is a good first mod for those with M6 transmissions.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:28 AM
Teching In

Default Illini T/a

Is there any reasons why a chip/programmer be a good first mod for a newbie like myself? I heard there is one out there that can give you 150+ hp but you have to change out fuel injectors? Has anyone heard of anything like this? Open to suggestions, please.
Attached Thumbnails New LS1 owners, here's the perfect 1st mod-p1010044.jpg  
Old 11-24-2004, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

Don't buy a chip. They are worthless on LS1s. It's a scam.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:54 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdbrkmn
Is there any reasons why a chip/programmer be a good first mod for a newbie like myself? I heard there is one out there that can give you 150+ hp but you have to change out fuel injectors? Has anyone heard of anything like this? Open to suggestions, please.
Junk. Forget about it.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 3rdbrkmn
th only PCM programming that will give you anywhere near 150 hp is a diesel program that boosts the crap out of turbo-diesel trucks. we can't even use a "chip" in the normal sense. the parameter chip in the PCM is soldered in place and can't be replaced with a performance version like it can in other cars. you have to use a programmer that plugs into the diagnostic port.

overall, forget about messing with the PCM for awhile. i got a full LS1 edit dyno tune on my stock internal bolt-on car and we could only get about 15 RWHP and 30 RWTQ out of it (and this is on the high side for a stock internal car).
Old 11-24-2004, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just paypal'd for my exhaust tonight. I cant wait to get it.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSWannabe
I just paypal'd for my exhaust tonight. I cant wait to get it.
you'll enjoy it.

you gonna do the install yourself? (it's not hard.)
Old 11-24-2004, 10:59 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for SLIGHTLY more money, you can buy some coated LT headers and a true dual system. i'll stick with my clogmaster that came on the car untill then. from my strictly performance standpoint, i think that 625$ for a catback is pretty outrageous, but you guys dont drive my car and i dont drive yours.

it is all relative, some people just HAVE to put at least a 10" sub in their car because it sounds good. i'll have to admit that its nice to play some metallica and think that lars is in the backseat on the drums on the end of "One"

it's all what you want though, some people put SS hoods on z-28's and like it, but i think its a no-no.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DeepBlueZ
Are you gonna do the install yourself?
It will be me, my friend and a friend of the family who used to own a garage and restores cars and such.

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
for SLIGHTLY more money, you can buy some coated LT headers and a true dual system. i'll stick with my clogmaster that came on the car untill then. from my strictly performance standpoint, i think that 625$ for a catback is pretty outrageous, but you guys dont drive my car and i dont drive yours.

it is all relative, some people just HAVE to put at least a 10" sub in their car because it sounds good. i'll have to admit that its nice to play some metallica and think that lars is in the backseat on the drums on the end of "One"

it's all what you want though, some people put SS hoods on z-28's and like it, but i think its a no-no.
I hear ya loud and clear. My Z is still under warranty so I'll be going with lid/short-stick/catback only for now. Once its out of warranty I can sell the GMMG, which has good resale value, and get headers/true duals. I had a 15 in my last car (still have it and amp, will probably sell them) and 2 12's in my car before that. I dont think I'll be putting anything in the Z though. I've got a new sound to listen to. I totally agree with you about the SS hood, I'll never do it. If it were functional for the intake I'd consider it. But the only thing I think I MAY ever do would be like a 2" cowl. That might look kinda sweet, but maybe not, I always think about **** like that.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was all ready to get the GMMG, but then realized, my car is a musclecar. What musclecar doesnt have duals? I mean, corvettes have duals, even friggin mustangs have duals. Duals sound better hands down, I say F this catback stuff. Just MO though.

Subs? they add useless dead weight, the stock stereo is all I need to rock to Metallica