Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car can't keep a steady idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 09:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car can't keep a steady idle

After I did my exhaust, which was months ago, when I was cruising in neutral, my car would idle up around 700rpms then drop to about 4-500rpms, then back up and down, and so forth, until I came to a complete stop. My vette did this as well when I had exhaust put on it. Well today, it was a somewhat cold wet morning, and when I started it up, it barely held an idle! It was around 4-500rpms! It sounded like I just installed a cam w/no tuning and tried to get the thing to run. I let it warm up for a bit and then when I drove it, it really seemed like I had a huge cam done on the stock tune!!! IT barely idled and the rpms were fluctuating all over the place! Finally after about 15 mins of driving, the idle smoothed out and just fluctuated when I was coasting in neutral. Then after class, the first 10 mins of driving, it idled between 1500-2000rpms!!! What could be the problem? I wonder if a tune would help? I don't have that many mods done to where I thought id need one, but this whole idle fluctuating thing is really annoying! Anyone have any similar problems or have any ideas whats wrong? Thanks.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 1994 camaro z28 did somethign similar to this..when my Opti got ruined after i washed under teh hood it would rev itself lol...id have it in park in my drive way start it itd reve from 500-1200 back and forth and back and forth..but mine also bogged like hell between gears it'd go to shift then the rpms would jump backand forth then finally go. like something was choking it...i thought i needed to gut my cats..but it was just my...Opti-spark..or Distributor..pretty much same thing.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:12 AM
TECH Regular

It seems to be running ok now, still idles a little weird while cruising in neutral though. I guess I'll just have to live with it. I know all about the opti spark, happened to t friends of mine, but I don't think the coil packs are as sensitive as the opti, and with the location of the packs, its a lot harder to get wet. I guess I will just have to wait and save up some money and do some more mods then get it tuned, hopefully it will run good then, until then I'll just have to tough it out.
Old 11-25-2004, 05:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

clean your idle air controler
Old 11-27-2004, 10:39 AM
11 Second Club

I had this problem and it was a fuse under the hood. The one which controlled the maf.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think Jaberwaki hit the nail right on the head. I had the idle problem and I took out my IAC motor (it's on the drivers side of the throttle body on the top, the bottom one is the throttle position sensor). I found it was pretty gunked up. I cleaned it and the throttle body with WD40 and it's worked fine ever since.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:24 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by glennhl
I think Jaberwaki hit the nail right on the head. I had the idle problem and I took out my IAC motor (it's on the drivers side of the throttle body on the top, the bottom one is the throttle position sensor). I found it was pretty gunked up. I cleaned it and the throttle body with WD40 and it's worked fine ever since.
is there a gasket to replace or can ya just take it off and put it back on? I used brakleen or carb cleaner usually when I did that on my old thunderbird sc.
Old 11-27-2004, 01:14 PM
11 Second Club

Theres a little rubber seal that can be reused