Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gmmg + Lts

Old 11-22-2004, 12:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gmmg + Lts

is this setup ok for a daily driver? or will it be too overbearing? right now the cars running the gmmg and an slp lid....I'm looking at the kooks set up with a catted y...I am not even considering an off road y...I've heard all about it...help me out
Old 11-22-2004, 01:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mph476
is this setup ok for a daily driver? or will it be too overbearing? right now the cars running the gmmg and an slp lid....I'm looking at the kooks set up with a catted y...I am not even considering an off road y...I've heard all about it...help me out
I've got the 1 3/4 Kooks Long tubes on a 2002 M-6 SS and it sounds awesome with the GMMG. I've got an ORY and of course, you have already been steered away from that on. I wish I knew what I was getting myself into before i sprung for the ORY. Oh well, I just threw a few bullet mufflers in there and it sings. Oh, and by the way, mine is a daily driver and I drive the **** out of it. There is nothing wrong with it. It's the best set-up in my opinion. You'll like the headers too by the way.

P.S. When installing the Kooks, my passenger side took 5 minutes and the drivers side took 10 to mount. They kick serious ***. REMEMBER, take out the oil drain plug. That was the only think keeping the driver side header from slipping up there like the passenger side. Enjoy!
Old 11-22-2004, 01:41 PM
Staging Lane

why didnt you like the ORY ......im looking into some kooks within a month and i also have the GMMG, ide like to know your thoughts about the Kooks 1 3/4" & ORY.

Thanks
Matt
Old 11-22-2004, 02:34 PM
TECH Regular

I'll tell you what I think of GMMG and QTP Lt with cats in a couple of hours. They are being installed with an LS6 intake and Kenny Brown SFC today. You can see the rest of the mods in my daily driver. I'll also have dyno numbers later tonight.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

I just put a set of Jet Hots, with an ORY from Hooker, and a GMMG catback, and it sounds awesome!!! It's loud, no doubt, but it sounds kick azz!! As soon as I can, I'm going to get a GMMG for mine, to go with the LT's and ORY.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TraajicLS1
why didnt you like the ORY ......im looking into some kooks within a month and i also have the GMMG, ide like to know your thoughts about the Kooks 1 3/4" & ORY.

Thanks
Matt
I think it just gets too loud with the ORY and GMMG...I am in the process of switching from SLP LTs to Kooks LTs/ORY through the GMMG...I'm not even going to bother trying it...I ordered a Borla XR-1 for the intermediate pipe...as soon as it comes in off of backorder, I'll let you know how it sounds!
Old 11-22-2004, 05:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a friend who has Kooks LT's w/cats and GMMG. It sounds good and it is not too loud at all.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by black_knight
I have a friend who has Kooks LT's w/cats and GMMG. It sounds good and it is not too loud at all.
That is because you have cats. They seem to quite a car more than the aftermarket mufflers.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:30 PM
Launching!

so are we all in agreement that kooks LTs on a gmmg exhaust with a lid only with be fine for a daily driver? also I know that the cats quiet it down in comparison to running an off road y setup...but how much louder are we talking about from stock manifolds and the gmmg....I'm itching to do it...but I don't want to regret it b/c its too loud for every day use
Old 11-22-2004, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LawmanSS
I think it just gets too loud with the ORY and GMMG...I am in the process of switching from SLP LTs to Kooks LTs/ORY through the GMMG...I'm not even going to bother trying it...I ordered a Borla XR-1 for the intermediate pipe...as soon as it comes in off of backorder, I'll let you know how it sounds!
hmmn .. i might just be crazy and get the the ORY and see how it is, to avoid adding the catalytic converter and spending the $$$ for'em .. hopefully its not too "loudmouth" raspy
Old 11-22-2004, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mph476
so are we all in agreement that kooks LTs on a gmmg exhaust with a lid only with be fine for a daily driver? also I know that the cats quiet it down in comparison to running an off road y setup...but how much louder are we talking about from stock manifolds and the gmmg....I'm itching to do it...but I don't want to regret it b/c its too loud for every day use
If its in town driving, i wouldnt think there would be a problem with a little noise. However on 5-15+ hr drives it could get a little ear numbing ...

but all depends on personal preferences ... you can check out http://www.ls1sounds.com to get an idea of what it will sound like
Old 11-22-2004, 07:47 PM
Launching!

ear numbing b/c of drone? I thought when you add LTs it gets rid of all that...even on a 6 speed?
Old 11-22-2004, 07:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you run it with cats, I can guarantee you it will be quiet enough. Without cats... I haven't heard that in person, so I can't comment.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

I have the GMMG with FLP headers and a ory. I love the sound of my set up. There is a little rasp at around 2000 to 2200 rpm but that is it. Again I love the way it sounds.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:21 PM
TECH Regular

I'm running pacesetters,ORY and a GMMG and I can't wait to get some cats on there! I think it sounds like **** without cats (might have something to do with the hotcam) I think it sounds like an old pickup with cherrybombs, just meaner. Very very raspy. I was going to get a TSP catted y, but they let me down with there crappy merge
Old 11-23-2004, 04:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TraajicLS1
If its in town driving, i wouldnt think there would be a problem with a little noise. However on 5-15+ hr drives it could get a little ear numbing ...

but all depends on personal preferences ... you can check out http://www.ls1sounds.com to get an idea of what it will sound like
I'm taking mine on a road trip to Phoenix for a Thanksgiving hockey tournament and I'm not at all worried about it being too loud. On the highway in 6th gear, the rpms are below 2000 at any speed below 90mph. My setup doesn't get loud till I pass about 2000 rpm.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:00 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WS6 #4541
I have the GMMG with FLP headers and a ory. I love the sound of my set up. There is a little rasp at around 2000 to 2200 rpm but that is it. Again I love the way it sounds.
I'm on the same setup, it sounds great. Like he said there is a lil rasp in parts of the rpm range but its not bad. Its not an ugly rasp kinda sound. More refinded sound which is probably a result of the GMMG. Ur gonna love it, i've never even thought of putting on my cats on still, probably won't swap them in till emissions time.

I gotta question for 02BlackBullett about taking out the oil drain plug for the driver side install. Not sure if u had the same problem or not when u had to change oil later on but did the headers get in the way of takin out the drain plug. If anyone has any ideas for me the next time i change oil, pm me or just post it.

Search this Thread