Sponsored by:

larry tool question

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 06:59 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default larry tool question

i used the larry tool to take my dual valve springs off the head. i used it for the first time and the bolt bent. the bolt must be to soft or junk i got with the tool. is there a hardened bolt i can get? whats the thread size i need?
Old 11-22-2004, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just use a water pump bolt
Old 11-22-2004, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you get it from larry? I got a stud with mine.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:25 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by P Mack
Did you get it from larry? I got a stud with mine.
yes i got it form larry with the stud. the stud bent
Old 11-22-2004, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by pdd
yes i got it form larry with the stud. the stud bent
You probably torqued it down too far. Mine bent a little while it was tightened down, but straigtened out when the pressure was led off of it. I tightened it down just enough to get the locks out. Maybe you just got a crappy stud though.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:12 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Yeah I've looked it is not the greatest grade stud you could pick one up at a local botl or fastener co. Just take the old bent one with you they will be able to fix you up. On a different note have you contacted Larry about the issue? He might replace it or know where ot get a harder/stronger bolt. Juat a thought. I ususlly like to give people the chance to fix/talk about somthing before I complain about it although I didn't veiw this as a complaint as much as a problem etc.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

This is the first I've heard of a bending problem. Did you screw the stud all the way into the head before wrenching? As has been said you only want to wrench far enough to get the keepers out. The studs are suppose to be grade 8 quality but as we all know we don't always get what we pay for. I don't make the studs I just buy them. If you would like it replaced I would be glad to send you another. I only have my tool right now but would be glad to send the stud for my tool.

Has anybody else had a problem with the stud bending?
Old 11-23-2004, 03:00 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Larry
This is the first I've heard of a bending problem. Did you screw the stud all the way into the head before wrenching? As has been said you only want to wrench far enough to get the keepers out. The studs are suppose to be grade 8 quality but as we all know we don't always get what we pay for. I don't make the studs I just buy them. If you would like it replaced I would be glad to send you another. I only have my tool right now but would be glad to send the stud for my tool.

that would be great larry. ill pm u. pat
Old 11-23-2004, 03:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Larry

Mine has bent a little, but not enough that I can't still use it. But it has an obvious bow to it.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would you rather bend a few cent stud or would you rather strip the rocker boss / greak the aluminum head / shear the bolt / or something worse?