Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuner / Programming new VIN + vehicle type into spare PCM

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 07:17 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HP Tuner / Programming new VIN + vehicle type into spare PCM

I have a spare 2001 4.3L V6 truck PCM that I want to program to use in my 01 T/A.

If I buy the '01 F-body version of HPT, can I download a stock F-body, M6 .bin file into it? Would I need a license for a V6 truck also to do this? Am I stuck having to pay a dealer to flash the PCM for me with my VIN/vehicle type?

Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Great question.

I am in the same situation. have a PCM flashed for a V6, but want to set it up for a 2000 ls1.

Whats the process? I have access to a tech 2 if absolutely needed, but if its not needed, thats better.

Ryan
Old 11-22-2004, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't think it'll work...

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/YaBB.p...num=1101059792

Different PCMs ... (at least V6 F-Body vs V8 F-Body) I believe all or most of the Gen 3 V8 PCMs are the same, but I don't think any of hte V6 PCMs are the same (as the V8)... as such won't work

Not sure about the 4.3V6 ... dunno if it'd work for a V8 ...

Last edited by horist; 11-22-2004 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:38 PM
8 Second Club

Hopefully someone from HPT can clarify the VIN reprogram capabilities. My initial guess is the PCM first needs to have a program/VIN based on what you have a license for.

BTW, both PCM's have the same service # and I believe same hardware # also.

Last edited by 1fastWS6; 11-22-2004 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ditto, i have the same hardware/service number as a 2001-2002 f-car in the spare PCM i have.

Ryan
Old 11-22-2004, 10:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

As long as the service #'s are the same then the PCM will work fine. It has certain outputs that are activated and deactivated based on the calibration programming loaded into it. All you need to do is install the 4.3 pcm into your car and Have someone with a tech 2 and the SPX OTC flash hardware and flash it for the vin that you need the car will then run A OK. There are various methods of programming but the above setup is what we use at the shop. I cannot help you with the hp tuner? though. This will just get you to stock calibrations.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

if the PCMs are the same ... then the new HPT (since it is now the Pro Package for everyone ) should let you flash the other PCM I'd think... so long as you have the right licenses (IE if you have an 01 F-Body, doesn't mean you can flash an 01 truck )

if full flashing (reflashing the entire PCM) ... i would 127% suggest doing a test first ... during a total reflash.. if your battery dies, laptop fails, other car modules cause crap ... etc.... it can cause PCM failure (meaning need to remove flash chip to fix)
Old 11-23-2004, 03:51 PM
8 Second Club

Maybe having the dealer flash a stock program and my VIN into it first would be the best way to go.

BTW, how does HPT differentiate between PCM years? By the VIN # in them right? If all '99-up PCM's supposedly are the same then you can get any PCM flashed with a VIN for the year you have licensed and it would work?? Not trying to do anything dishonest here, just trying to understand how all this works with respect to spare PCM's and such.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:49 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They look at more than the vin number. I beleive there is something else in the PCM that is specific to the year based on the boot loader/OS. If this wasnt the case all we would have to do was get a vin change on any year and it would work. Since they are protecting their investment i am pretty sure this was thought out
Old 11-23-2004, 09:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Nope on the dealer software which is what we use when you go to the reprogram section it downloads the current files based off of the vin and displays the current vin entered. It then gives you the option of changing the vin. When you enter the vin the SPX OTC reflash hardware knows the correct calibration files based off of the vin entered. It gives a few options for updates for driveability issues then goes straight to the reprogram. As long as the service numbers are the same and you have the gm software you can go back and forth infintely. I have sone it on several vehicles that received engine and trans transplants into donor vehicles. vortec 350 4l80-e motivated S-10 etc.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what happens if you say vin change your car and do emissions (for kicks, in test mode, not for real )
Old 11-24-2004, 10:54 AM
8 Second Club

From Chris at HPT:

"There are a few ways out if this:

1. Order the vehicle type that the VIN number in the spare PCM matches, then use the "rewrite entire VCM" functionality to flash the Fbody image intot that PCM. Thus creating an exact copy of the original PCM. The base VCM Suite packaage comes with 2 vehcile types (smae price) so it doesn;t cost you anything xtra (however, you do use up that license).
2. order your VCM Suite package and then ask around on the forum for someone with the two vehicle types (some of the tuners would usually charge $50 for this).
3. send your spare PCM off to a dealer to get them to reflash it to a Fbody prog, with your VIN as well.

Chris..."

Quick Reply: HP Tuner / Programming new VIN + vehicle type into spare PCM