Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help diagnosing the trouble with ignition

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 08:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need some help diagnosing the trouble with ignition

OK Auto Docs,
I have a 2002 Hawk with only 4500 miles on it. And for some reason I am having trouble turning it over on occasions. One time it'll start perfectly, then I'll drive to the gym, get back in it, and after the workout, then she won't turn over. She's cranking, not clicking, but no ignition! It has fired after about 7 attempts....but that oh crap, I'm stranded feeling isn't cool. Battery doesn't see to be the trouble, lights, radio and all works fine. No alterntor whine, no build up on Battery posts. I did notice that the horn wouldn't honk when I set the alarm before the last no start, but then later it works. I'm puzzled.
What do you gys think the trouble is? Battery, Alarm shorting, poor ignition, starter trouble, distributor? Help! I don't want to get hit up for what may be a simple problem.
Thanks
Old 11-22-2004, 10:15 PM
TECH Veteran

I think you need to drive that bitch more! LOL. J/K Just curious how long has the current tank of fuel been in there? If it sits long periods of time between being driven a fresh fill up and drive it 50 miles or more MIGHT do wonders.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:43 PM
Launching!

Time to take her for a drive....if I find time! Anyone wanna help with that!

Originally Posted by ss rally red
I think you need to drive that bitch more! LOL. J/K Just curious how long has the current tank of fuel been in there? If it sits long periods of time between being driven a fresh fill up and drive it 50 miles or more MIGHT do wonders.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Is the security light flashing during cranking? If so it is probably a key issue. Do you have the OE keys and not a aftermarket keys. Aftermarket keys are known for problems. There are other places to look but this is a start. Sounds like she is rebelling against being parked. They like to be driven and not stared at in a garage. Good luck.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:24 AM
Launching!

She better behave or she isn't going to get her supercharger. Makes you wonder what if cars had a personality....some of us would probably come back as a car in another life then. I better go smoke some more **** if I'm going to think like this. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll watch for the security light.