Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Input on dual valvesprings

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Input on dual valvesprings

Just curious as to what you guys think about both the PRC dual valvesprings and the Manley performance dual valvesprings. Both kits are offered by Futral Motorsports. I've heard alot of great things about the PRCs, even though they're relatively new to the market, but I haven't heard much about the Manleys (even though they're a well known name). I did a search and came up with pretty much nothing about the Manley stuff. Any input, ideas, suggestions from anyone. The cams I'm considering have a max lift of just under .600.

TIA.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm suprised you haven't considered patriot gold duals as well. PRC and PP Golds are both excellent springs, should do you well either way. Manley is a good company as well, but I don't know much about their dual springs so I can't comment on them.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I was in the market for springs, I was reading not so nice things about the manley's. I have no practical experiance with them, but others didn't do so well. In my conversations with the guys at Thunder Racing, the 918's will work just fine on a cam with .600" of lift. I bought their "Old Man" cam w/ .600" on the intake side, and even though I had the money, they suggested the 918's. They're lighter, and mucho tough. Just a thought. Good luck whichever route you decide to take.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:21 AM
FormerVendor

Patriot Golds...the orginal "Gold" Spings are available for only $279.50 for the complete kit, from any of the following retailers: Speed Inc., FFHP, LM Performance, Summit, Combination Motorsports, Scoggin-Dickey, Pace Performance, Eckler's, F Body Motorsports, JC Whitney
Old 11-23-2004, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The PRC spring kit is better than the Manley spring IMO.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:14 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GUNNAR@PATRIOT
Patriot Golds...the orginal "Gold" Spings are available for only $279.50 for the complete kit, from any of the following retailers: Speed Inc., FFHP, LM Performance, Summit, Combination Motorsports, Scoggin-Dickey, Pace Performance, Eckler's, F Body Motorsports, JC Whitney

Yea, not a chance in hell I'd ever use another product w/the name Patriot Performance on it, I've already been through one LS1 motor on my previous car.. I know you're just working for them & selling their product, but I wouldn't put them on my car if you paid me the $279.50 to put them on it.

Last edited by 99BackNBlackZ28; 11-25-2004 at 02:46 AM.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99BackNBlackZ28
Yea, not a chance in hell I'd ever use another product w/the name Patriot Performance on it. I know you're just working for them & selling their product, but I wouldn't put them on my car if you paid me the $279.50 to put them on it.
LOL You gonna give us the story?
Old 11-25-2004, 11:16 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We are running a huge camshaft special currently with free shipping on PRC gold spring kits. The kit is designed to use stock keepers & a retainer designed to fit ONLY 1 spring

404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 11-26-2004, 12:44 AM
TECH Addict

so if i wanted to order the Torquer Cam, what components would i need to change? and do these PRC spring kits bring every component i need for a cam swap? thanks
Old 11-26-2004, 01:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
so if i wanted to order the Torquer Cam, what components would i need to change? and do these PRC spring kits bring every component i need for a cam swap? thanks
You'll need gaskets/ front cover seal/pulley bolt, push rods, timing chain, ported oil pump, oil+filter, coolant (assuming you are not doing install).
If you are doing install add tools, spring tool, lifter holding tools, cam degreing kit etc....

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 11-26-2004 at 01:21 AM.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:38 AM
TECH Addict

Yea, not a chance in hell I'd ever use another product w/the name Patriot Performance on it, I've already been through one LS1 motor on my previous car.. I know you're just working for them & selling their product, but I wouldn't put them on my car if you paid me the $279.50 to put them on it.
are you just spitting up info that you read on here or do you have a personal experiances with it?
Old 11-26-2004, 06:12 AM
11 Second Club

I got my PRC duals from TSP and they work like a charm!
Old 11-26-2004, 11:22 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ramairstyle00
are you just spitting up info that you read on here or do you have a personal experiances with it?

Does your reading comprehension just suck or what?

I went through 2 sets of Patriot heads and 1 LS1 motor...whats so hard to understand? I bolted a set of Patriot heads on, Terry @ the time, called me 2 days later to tell me that there were issues with some bad valves going out. So Terry was cool enough to send me another set of heads. I guess quality control let another bad set slip through and I toasted my motor. Is that a personal enough experience for you?
Old 11-26-2004, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

How long ago was this? All of those issue have long been resolved. It is not uncommon for a company that is just starting out to have a few hiccups. I'm sorry for your situation, but rest assured, that the quality issues they had in the past have been dealt with. Can you name one person yet who has broken a PP Gold srping? Hell even AFR is using the same springs.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Can you name one person yet who has broken a PP Gold spring?

There has been a couple but nothing major, just the coil tip broke off, no middle coil failures on record AFAIK.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Can you name one person yet who has broken a PP Gold spring?

There has been a couple but nothing major, just the coil tip broke off, no middle coil failures on record AFAIK.

I'm sure you're right. I mean you put out enough of a particular product and eventually somebody is going to have a failure. It's how a company handles those situations, that will determine their success in this business. As far as I can tell the service over at Patriot is top notch. However I don't see the point in bringing up old dead topics that have long been resolved, just because you want to bash a company. Those past issues are no longer, and the company has gone leaps and bounds to fix the problems and assure the pulblic of a quality product. I don't suppose GM has ever had a recall because some bad parts got out there either? Like I said, it's how you handle a situation.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

I've heard nothing but good things about the Patriot Gold Springs, and these new PRC springs look really nice also. I went with Crane 832's, had to shim them .090.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:49 PM
FormerVendor

To the best of our knowledge, our Patriot Golds have never had an "in the field" failure. There was a case in which our Patriot Golds were installed incorrectly and this resulted in the coil "tip" breaking on a few of them. Our Patriot Gold Spring is among the best on the market. When you buy our spring kit, you get a COMPLETE spring kit which includes; Patriot Gold Springs, Super 7 Locks, Viton Rubber Seals, & Machined Seat Bases. All for this for only $269.50 !!

Why pay more for less ??
Old 11-27-2004, 02:35 AM
TECH Addict

don't get your panties in a bunch there guy. i was asking because some people on here don't know first hand... they just say what they read and i wanted to make sure this wasn't the same thing before i go out to the garage in fear and swap them out for something else..... so no need to get pissy please.

Last edited by ramairstyle00; 11-27-2004 at 02:40 AM.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:36 AM
11 Second Club

I went through 2 sets of Patriot heads and 1 LS1 motor...whats so hard to understand? I bolted a set of Patriot heads on, Terry @ the time, called me 2 days later to tell me that there were issues with some bad valves going out. So Terry was cool enough to send me another set of heads. I guess quality control let another bad set slip through and I toasted my motor. Is that a personal enough experience for you?
None of which has anything to do with the valve springs they market and sell. So say they sell the best valve springs on the planet, you won't buy them because why?

My reading comprehension is fine as I went to school and college when they still actually taught and spoke proper English, but someone's logic sucks.

FWIW, I don't use the Patriot springs, but I haven't heard or read a single bad remark about them.