Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Qustion on smell with true duals

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Qustion on smell with true duals

I am looking at getting LT's and true duals installed. I want to go the catless route and have them exit infront of the rear tires. I was wondering if there will be a bad gas or exhaust smell. I carpool with my other half and I would never hear the end of it if this is the case. Any info or suggestions would be greatly appriciated.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

With the windows up, when cruising you can't smell anything. With them down, sitting at red lights/parking lots you will smell fuel. It doesn't smell bad, just like exhaust should. Not a big deal.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, what simp said. If the windows are up no big deal, or if your on the highway w/ the windows down no big deal. But driving around the city with the windows down will smell...like exhaust fumes. Especially if you get the dumps angled away from the ground (like mine). I doubt she'll like that very much, or the sound b/c it will be LOUD

Here's a pic of my setup, and I smell like fuel after 30 mins of driving. I ride alone most of time though and don't mind it.
Attached Thumbnails Qustion on smell with true duals-trueduals1.jpg  
Old 11-23-2004, 02:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 5POINT7
Here's a pic of my setup, and I smell like fuel after 30 mins of driving. I ride alone most of time though and don't mind it.
****, with my dumps and no cats I smell like fuel even before I can pull the car out of the garage. Stop lights with windows down is probably the worst case scenario. It doesn't bother me though since I kinda like it Of course, if the smell of gas bothers you or you're planning on chauffeuring business clients around I'd definitely look to run the exhaust out the back.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same scenario with the rest of the guys. Its not a daily driver, so it doesn't bother me. The sound is worth it.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Like everyone else has said, at idle the smell of gas is there. But when moving, cant even tell.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mines definitely a stinker...
Old 11-24-2004, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Tell her she is imagining it. Who knows, might work
Old 11-24-2004, 01:06 AM
TECH Addict

Dude!
True duals dumped at the axle without cats can be dealt with.. But true duals exiting in front of the tires that close to the doors is a different story.

You can try it out, but I recommend adding cats if you want side exits. If you go without cats and notice that you're falling asleep in traffic.. Then you'll know that it's time for a change.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WillR
I am looking at getting LT's and true duals installed. I want to go the catless route and have them exit infront of the rear tires. I was wondering if there will be a bad gas or exhaust smell. I carpool with my other half and I would never hear the end of it if this is the case. Any info or suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

i had my exhaust this way but i had to change it. personally i got tired of the smell(at idle) and the noise,so i went under the axle and out the back. as far as your other half.......women hate loud cars. when i give my gf's friends a ride, the first thing they do when they get in the car is make a face and ask me why is my car so loud?and why does it shake so much?is there something wrong with it??????
Old 11-24-2004, 01:30 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
****, with my dumps and no cats I smell like fuel even before I can pull the car out of the garage.
That is probably because the garage is an enclosed area
Old 11-24-2004, 01:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSideExhLS1
i had my exhaust this way but i had to change it. personally i got tired of the smell(at idle) and the noise,so i went under the axle and out the back. as far as your other half.......women hate loud cars. when i give my gf's friends a ride, the first thing they do when they get in the car is make a face and ask me why is my car so loud?and why does it shake so much?is there something wrong with it??????
Not all women hate cars like that. When I take my gf for a ride in the '69 Mach 1 Mustang that I restored with my dad in high school, she gets this look in her eyes that just says "that is so awesome".
Old 11-24-2004, 02:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

I only smell mine at red lights if the wind is blowing from the rear towards the front. If your exaust stinks really bad then your A/F ratio is off. Mine was awful untill I got it tuned. Your right about some girls, but they are pretty few. Most of them that I date, like it right off the bat, but usually wind up complaining later on down the road. Thats just a good excuse to use her car/gas
Old 11-24-2004, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

Sometimes at traffic lights you can also feel the heat bubbling from under the car. Damn, I still love it though.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:29 AM
TECH Addict

Sometimes at traffic lights you can also feel the heat bubbling from under the car. Damn, I still love it though.

Can a muscle car be too loud????
Old 11-24-2004, 09:36 AM
TECH Resident

You're going to have some clearance issues trying to exit them in front of the tires...