Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't teardown 4L60E

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 10:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't teardown 4L60E

2002 Blazer 4L60E with only 2400 miles on it. Trying to swap into a jeep. The output shaft had to be replaced as part of the advance adapter kit. With all the local shops telling me they would not be able to get to it for weeks, I bought a manual and tried it myself. Well now I got myself in a pickle. After replacing the output shaft without a hitch I tried to install the input drum. It did not go smoothly and tried to use the pump to push it in (bad idea). Now the input shaft/ drum will not come out. Any ideas out there could save me a ton of time and money. Thank you with great embarrassment.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Lots of patience is in your future. Just wiggle and tug very gently. It would be a really good idea to take the pump apart and make sure it did not crush it internally. This all depends on how much force you put on it trying to get it to go in. On an auto trans if it does not slide together easily or with minimal effort something is wrong. As you have found out just be careful and pray and maybe you'll get lucky and save it.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:39 AM
Launching!

You more than likely bent the 3-4 clutches. They spline to the reaction carrier shaft and since you forced the drum in place, you probably bent them and got the clutch plates wedged on the carrier shaft. You'll have to get that drum out (might as well pull very hard, you'll have to replace the clutches anyway).

When you go to instal the drum again, you'll need to put the band in first, place the reverse input housing (the big drum) on the input housing and install as an assembly. You have to wiggle and shake the assembly so that the 3-4 clutches line up, then the drum engages the Sunshell. You'll know its fully seated when the drum's top surface is about 1-2mm BELOW the pumps sealing surface of the case.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:24 AM
Teching In

Thank you for all the help. It was a jammed clutch disc (3-4) that was keeping it from sliding out. Solution=steady pressure while turning.