Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Decided to take the Cobra out for a little fun

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decided to take the Cobra out for a little fun

Actually, lots of fun.

Last Wednesday night we went out to the usual spot and a lot of "new" domestic guys were out there. Two in particular. A yellow convertible 03 Cobra, and a black one, dropped with nice wheels, real nice cars.

So I go up to them and ask them if those are their cars, and they said yes. I asked what was done to them, and the guy in the black one said, "Eh, just bolt ons" and I had gotten this arrogant impression from his reply. So I replied with, "Oh. Cool, me too." And he asked if I had anything else done other than catback. I replied with "Just the K&N filter and chip." And they nodded. The yellow one told me he had a smaller upper pulley. I ask them if they're going to be running tonight, and the guy in the black one just shrugged, and said, "Huh, it depends." Like he's the fastest guy out there. Oh well.

So I get everyone out of the parking lot and off we go. We get into mexico and they want to "let their cars cool down" and they wanted to run a 3-way between me and the two Cobras. I asked what kind of tires they are on, and I saw the black one was on Nitto DR's, and the other guy had some 315 street tires on. Either way, I'm on the stock F1's so anything is better than that.

While they were cooling down, I decided to run adrenalineVR4 (Omar) and his friend in a cam Z28. The Z28 and I go at it.. 1st gear punch, I feather it through first so I don't get any wheel hop, we are dead even. Grab second hard and pull about a car ahead. 3rd I gain another car.. we probably shut it down at the top of third with me about 2-3 cars ahead.. not sure. He's fast though.

Now here comes Omar. We went from a 45mph roll.. I was in 6th gear cruising, he comes up to me, honk.. I put the clutch in, honk... I put it into 2nd with my foot still on the clutch, HONK. I pop the clutch and jam on the throttle and the tires let go for a split second as Omar pulls me by about a good car and a half. I grab third and he gets to a 2 1/2 car lead.. and as soon as my third started coming up, he stopped pulling. Bang 4th and shut it down.. with him about 2-3 cars ahead. Not bad.. not bad.

Finally we turn around.. I have no cool down time as the guys in the Cobras are like, let's do it.

We line it up.. black cobra on the left, yellow in the middle and me on the right. adrenalineVR4 is a 1 1/2 cars behind us. They do some crazy burnouts and I'm just sitting there. Whatever. I was hoping to ease it off the line and catch them in the top end.

So on a 3 honk we go.. honk, honk, I rev it to 1500.... honk. I slip the clutch, look at the tach as it swings to 4500RPMs and I find myself feathering the throttle, with the yellow car 2 cars ahead and the black one about a car ahead. I feather it the rest of the way through 1st and as soon as I see 5800 RPMs, I drop the hammer, grab 2nd, the rear tires did a little dance and as soon as they bite, I was a car behind the yellow cobra. All through second I stay at his back bumper.. "uh oh, Im' in trouble" I think to myself. Then I hit 3rd with a little tire chirp. As soon as 3rd gear started rising.. he started falling back. At mid third I'm passing him hard. Top of third I'm a good 3-4 cars ahead. Right when I'm about to shift into 4th I hear "BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSHSHHHHHH" and I look over.. there's adrenalineVR4. We are dead even, I bang 4th, which is my strongest gear, top it out, 140mph, look over, neither of us have moved. Dead even. Smoothly put it into 5th.. and here comes an intersection, and I hate going through intersections fast, so I jam on the brakes hard. We turn around and come back.. and my brakes are fogging up the streets. Awesome.

On the way back I ran into a cam Trans Am. My friend Hendrick in his white blue 30th anniversary car. That car runs strong for bolt ons and a cam. His best time was a 12.1 @ 119mph. We did 40-50mph rolls.. 2nd gear punch all the way through 4th. Every single time I would jump half a car ahead.. stay there until the top end 3rd.. then pull it out to a car. Then I hit 4th and start barely inching away.. probably had a total of 2 cars on him. It was some damn good races.

After all that we decided to go ahead and go eat at Taco Cabana and then call it a night. While eating, I saw my friend Trung there. We were shootin' the **** a little when he mentioned he was with his friend in a CL55 AMG. And he wanted to run. It was bone stock and all for fun so I said cool, we finished eating and went over to Mexicano's Latin Buffet of Roads.

We line it up from a 30mph roll.. way too low for me on stock tires.. but oh well. Three honk and we're off. I mash the throttle halfway in 1st and the tires blaze. I powershifted into 2nd, rear went a little swiggly and I was about half a car ahead. We were even all through 2nd.. then hit 3rd and I started inching away.. then we had to shut it down.

So we decided to do it again from a 45mph roll on the freeway. We get there.. 3 honk once again. I jump out ahead probably half a car and started steady walking way... until I missed 3rd. He creeped back up to my door and I put it back and got back into the throttle and proceeded to gain back my ground and steady pull away. He called me and said he shifted way too early on the triptonic.. but I missed 3rd anyways so I believe I would have gotten him in the top end.

That is one fast car. I never expected it the first time... but that thing hauls butt.

Lastly, yesterday I was driving home from work, and it had dried up just a little bit after about a full week of rainstorms. On the beltway, coming from 288 going north, there was a pewter G35 with silver tint on it with a passenger... I couldn't see who was driving cause the tint was so dark, I could only see the shape of their heads. Looked asian. I had passed him up just minding my business, jammin' Paul Wall and Mike Jones, UHHHHHHHNNNN!

Anyway, I pass him up going 80ish, and I guess he got upset or something cause he hurried back up next to me and threw me a little rev. So I just gave it a little gas in 6th, and I heard him drop the hammer. So I floor it, still in 6th gear, and he starts to pull a little bit so I keep the throttle planted, clutch in, took it out of 6th, threw it into 3rd and all I could hear was the supercharger whining it's *** off and I was gone. I left him like I drove off a cliff and they were still at the top. I tried slowing down to about 55mph, and they were still back there. So I just kept cruising around 65mph.. finally they came back up. I looked over and rolled my window down a little bit to give him the thumbs up but he just drove off.

Awwwww. Too bad.

Cliff notes:

1. These are actually cliff notes.
2. Ran 2 Cobras from a stop, me on stock tires, them on better tires, both outlaunched me, sucked them up in 3rd hard.
3. Ran a bolt on, cam TA and Z28. 2-3 on both.
4. Ran adrenalineVR4, got denied by 2-3 cars.
5. Ran a bone stock CL55 AMG.. surprised the crap out of me.
6. Denied a G35 while drinking coffee, smoking and eating cheetos.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

sounded like you had fun. Fast car, what do you have done to the cobra? Nice wins by the way. Looks like you were faster than all except the vr4. They are quick and easy to modify.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:23 PM
STF Veteran

Long post, good stories. Nice runs and that death...guess time for more mods.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:44 PM
STF Veteran

I might be off base but that is a LOT of races in a small time frame.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:41 PM
TECH Regular

DAmn I didnt know we could hit 140 in 4th
Old 11-25-2004, 12:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 8-Pack
DAmn I didnt know we could hit 140 in 4th
he was in his cobra
Old 11-25-2004, 12:57 AM
TECH Regular

Damn they can do 140 in 4th?
Old 11-25-2004, 01:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 8-Pack
Damn they can do 140 in 4th?
Top of 4th is around 138mph if I take it to 6500.. I usually shift around 6000.

99-LS1-SS, we do these things weekly.. we get tons of runs in, just cruise the highways with a pack of cars and we busy. It's fun, if you ever come down to Houston give me a shout and I'll show you around.

As far as mods go, all I have is a full exhaust, K&N air filter, 2.80 upper pulley and chip. The car dyno's 470whp, 495trq.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Big Turkey
Top of 4th is around 138mph if I take it to 6500.. I usually shift around 6000.

99-LS1-SS, we do these things weekly.. we get tons of runs in, just cruise the highways with a pack of cars and we busy. It's fun, if you ever come down to Houston give me a shout and I'll show you around.

As far as mods go, all I have is a full exhaust, K&N air filter, 2.80 upper pulley and chip. The car dyno's 470whp, 495trq.

yep, he is right brandon..

tonight i was in about 10 to 11 races. I was in a BPU supra with nitrous tonight, roaming around in a pack of heads/cam, cam only on gas LS1's and a bunch of 11 second EVO's

tonight was a good night!
Old 11-25-2004, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Turkey

The same as 99% of Cobras out there. 470hp is on the very high end for those mods. 495rwtq without a lower pulley on the stock Eaton?

Nice runs.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by unit213
The same as 99% of Cobras out there. 470hp is on the very high end for those mods. 495rwtq without a lower pulley on the stock Eaton?

Nice runs.

and nice weather with no humidity = good dynoing too
Old 11-25-2004, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by unit213

Nice runs.
Originally Posted by BigBronco
and nice weather with no humidity = good dynoing too
Unit, I made 480trq with just an xpipe, catback, K&N and the 2.80. Then I got the Kook's LTs with a catted H pipe and trq just went insane. I saw gains of 33rwtq in some places, with 15trq gain at peak.

BigBronco, where you in Karim's Supra? It's time for us to run again.. the last time I ran him I was stock, and he said he was on pump gas... and I pulled him. This time, tell him to be on nitrous and race gas and we can do it from a dig. No excuses... should be fun.

Also, when I dyno'd it was mid 80's out. Lately it has been cold.. but remember right before it started raining really badly? It was super humid and hot? Yeah, that's when I dyno'd. The dyno read 87% humidity and a outside temp of 82-84deg. F.

Sorry I couldn't make it out tonight.. it was a beautiful night for some races but I'm in Louisiana right now visiting the girlfriend's parents.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:25 AM
TECH Regular

I need to start hanging out with you guys I'd love to meet up sometime. I've got a Cobra buddy thats been dying to run his car. I'd race him but I don't want to get humiliated.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS2 KLR
I need to start hanging out with you guys I'd love to meet up sometime. I've got a Cobra buddy thats been dying to run his car. I'd race him but I don't want to get humiliated.

You definately need to come out. I will send you a PM on a tuesday for a little meet somewhere on wednesday night. usually on westheimer, before we head to the south side of town to get it done!

i was in Amar's pewter supra doing are thang in that just beating around on some cars.

i need to give peter Blach a call, im sure we can really do something with a 1000 rwhp on tap!

Gray