Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stripped thread in head

Old 11-24-2004, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default stripped thread in head

I went to change my headers out on my 00 Z28 Motor.. when I pulled the old one out I noticed that the previous owner used extra washers on the front most hole that mounts the header to the head on the driver side (right next to the coolant sensor). Pretty much everything the guy did to the motor was done wrong so it didn't really suprise me. I think he cross threaded the hole and just crammed the bolt in there.

Didn't think too much of it until I tried to bolt the headers back on and noticed that the threads were stripped as hell on that front bolt. No way I can tighten it.. possibly with a longer bolt but I'd rather not worry about messing it up more with one.

I don't really want to pull the head to get it heli-coiled right now. I was thinking of just trying to tap the thread with a slightly larger bolt and to just use a larger bolt for now and if I ever pull the heads to get fixed correctly at a machine shop. I'm pretty sure without the header in there I'll have enough room.

Anyone have any better suggestions or ideas?
Old 11-25-2004, 12:10 AM
10 Second Club

Find a right angle drill to put a heli-coil in it (if you have enough room) you may have to take the motor mount loose and jack up the side of the engine.
You may or may not have room, but I sure would try, before pulling the head or trying to put a larger bolt in it.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:59 AM
TECH Regular

I talked to my buddy and he said that we should be able to do that.. so I'm going to try to go that route.

This is why I hate cars that someone else has worked on.. The previous owner also stripped one of the engine to trans bolts and decided to remove some of the heat sheilding on the wiring harness to install yellow wire loom over it. Also he felt it was neccesary to use orange rtv on the air pump/egr pipes instead of sealing them correctly. Good thing he didn't get any further than a couple bolt ons.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aram
I talked to my buddy and he said that we should be able to do that.. so I'm going to try to go that route.

This is why I hate cars that someone else has worked on.. The previous owner also stripped one of the engine to trans bolts and decided to remove some of the heat sheilding on the wiring harness to install yellow wire loom over it. Also he felt it was neccesary to use orange rtv on the air pump/egr pipes instead of sealing them correctly. Good thing he didn't get any further than a couple bolt ons.
I know the feeling man... Modding a car that was improperly modded by the first owner. Mine had quite a bit of crap wrong with it.. but I just redid it all one piece at a time..

You're definitely gonna have to jack the engine up if you're going to drill that part of the head with it in the car. There's almost no clearance there.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try and find the right size tracer. They usually sell them just for spark plug holes though.

Search this Thread