Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for quick info

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 02:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for quick info

Am in a unique situation. Until this past monday I was driving a AWD dodge stealth Twin turbo. It had a few mods, but nothing major. Dynoed around 280 AWHP. Was driving back from school for thanksgiving, and it caught on fire and burned up. Personally think it was an eletrical fire, but dad thinks a fuel line broke. Basically, i have to get a new car. Now i have looked, and found a 99' TA with the Ram air hood. It is a clean car, and has realitively low miles (under 50k). However for around the same money i have found another stealth identical to mine, except it has a mere 17k miles. Is in perfect condition. However i know how much of a money pit they can be, and was kinda leaning toward the ls1. Since you guys are the pros, I was wondering how reliable your cars tend to be. My stealth seemed like it was broke more often than not. Also, i am not familar with the ls1 platform, except that the ones i have seen WHOOP *** on the highway! I have a friend who said that with a lid(air filter), exhaust, 12 bolt, clutch, throttle body, good heads, and a good cam, I could be pushing well over 400 at the rear wheels. To do that on my stealth, would require so much money (wont even go into the particulars). I know you can make ls1's fast for cheap, but i was wondering whats a good start with a 400+ RWHP goal. Basically w/o sounding like an idiot i am asking for a, excuse me for the import terminology, staged upgrade list. I am also looking for some websites or brand names for the items on the list. This is just so i can get an idea of what the cost would be to modify the car in comparison with the stealth/300gt platform.

Sorry for the general question. Usually i would do my own research but i need to move on one of these cars here pretty soon, because I am w/o transportation.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by landonew
Am in a unique situation. Until this past monday I was driving a AWD dodge stealth Twin turbo. It had a few mods, but nothing major. Dynoed around 280 AWHP. Was driving back from school for thanksgiving, and it caught on fire and burned up. Personally think it was an eletrical fire, but dad thinks a fuel line broke. Basically, i have to get a new car. Now i have looked, and found a 99' TA with the Ram air hood. It is a clean car, and has realitively low miles (under 50k). However for around the same money i have found another stealth identical to mine, except it has a mere 17k miles. Is in perfect condition. However i know how much of a money pit they can be, and was kinda leaning toward the ls1. Since you guys are the pros, I was wondering how reliable your cars tend to be. My stealth seemed like it was broke more often than not. Also, i am not familar with the ls1 platform, except that the ones i have seen WHOOP *** on the highway! I have a friend who said that with a lid(air filter), exhaust, 12 bolt, clutch, throttle body, good heads, and a good cam, I could be pushing well over 400 at the rear wheels. To do that on my stealth, would require so much money (wont even go into the particulars). I know you can make ls1's fast for cheap, but i was wondering whats a good start with a 400+ RWHP goal. Basically w/o sounding like an idiot i am asking for a, excuse me for the import terminology, staged upgrade list. I am also looking for some websites or brand names for the items on the list. This is just so i can get an idea of what the cost would be to modify the car in comparison with the stealth/300gt platform.

Sorry for the general question. Usually i would do my own research but i need to move on one of these cars here pretty soon, because I am w/o transportation.
I would get the 99 TA. They are reliable. My car has 96k miles on it and it is a 98. It runs perfect, no fires yet

You can get 400RWHP with that 99 TA easily. You just need a decent cam, headers, a new intake and other minor bolt ons Or you can leave it stock and put a 150 shot on it

Websites for the items are over there --->

Last edited by Keenov; 11-25-2004 at 04:14 AM.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:58 AM
Launching!

LS1
GO AND GET IT !!!
Old 11-25-2004, 05:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all parts are here---------->
all answers are on this website
click newbie link in my sig
Old 11-25-2004, 10:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

yep, TA is suprior, probably won't catch on fire eighther.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:38 AM
Teching In

TA, more power, less money
Old 11-25-2004, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey man. I would reccomend the Trans-Am. I just bought my Trans-Am about two weeks ago. It's a 99 and has 44k miles on it. Runs like a champ. The entire drivetrain is the most outstanding point of an (ls1) F-bod IMO. As far as reliability, the T/A should have you covered. With the exception of possible (slight) oil consumption, bad power window motors and misc. little stuff, the ls1 F-bod would be a great choice. Ls1's respond very well to bolt-ons and even better to a nice head/cam setup. You can make great power for relativley little money. Plus, there are tons of guys (even heads/cam) that are running around with over 100k miles, and still running real strong. As far as an "upgrades list" goes, it is all relative to how much you want to spend. Maybe:

1. Basic bolt-ons (lid, catback, free mods)
2. Heavy Bolt-on (headers, stall, tires, nitrous)
3. Internals (Heads/Cam)
4. Beast mode (forged rotating assembly, Forced induction application)

Or something like that.
Do you want a quick daily driver? A hole-shot, nitrous-guzzling drag car? It's up to you and your pocketbook.

Get the Trans-Am. It looks better.
Old 11-25-2004, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the input. Doubt i would spray it, but the heads and cam sound like something i would do. Basically think that i am leaning toward the TA because of reliability, and cost of performance upgrades. I appreciate your opinions.
Old 11-25-2004, 05:48 PM
11 Second Club

and if you get the TA, everything you would possibly need to know can be found on this site, just search, these guys are awsome
Old 11-25-2004, 06:09 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry about your car, Ive got a story to tell...

My friend and I installed heads and cam on his 95 5.0 mustang and we went to some distant church away from people to brake in the cam. It was late at night and you have to rev the engine up to brake the cam in. so we're sitting in a parking lot away from everything and he's keeping the rpms ar about 2,500. I start to smell a slight burning smell so I get out of the car and walk around. I notice a orange glow from under the hood and shout at him to kill the engine. He runs out and opens the hood and the right side of the engine is on fire. we start freaking out, and my friend starts to go hysterical. we took off our shirt and pants and tried to smother it but it was too big. The fire was around a web of wires (wires touching a header) and was hard to get to. Then an idea came to mind. I concentrated with all my might to relax and get calm and then I got the ability to urinate. so I told my friend to step aside and I proceeded to **** out the fire. It worked suprizingly well and I aimed for all the big fire areas and put them out. Then he followed up with some more smothering. Well a lot of electrical wires were burnt but the car was fixable. and I saved my friends car from melting to a puddle by peeing on it. One of my greatest car stories.

Sorry about your car, I'd go with an LS1. I just got one and Im in love with it
Kenny
Old 11-25-2004, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigSteele
Sorry about your car, Ive got a story to tell...

My friend and I installed heads and cam on his 95 5.0 mustang and we went to some distant church away from people to brake in the cam. It was late at night and you have to rev the engine up to brake the cam in. so we're sitting in a parking lot away from everything and he's keeping the rpms ar about 2,500. I start to smell a slight burning smell so I get out of the car and walk around. I notice a orange glow from under the hood and shout at him to kill the engine. He runs out and opens the hood and the right side of the engine is on fire. we start freaking out, and my friend starts to go hysterical. we took off our shirt and pants and tried to smother it but it was too big. The fire was around a web of wires (wires touching a header) and was hard to get to. Then an idea came to mind. I concentrated with all my might to relax and get calm and then I got the ability to urinate. so I told my friend to step aside and I proceeded to **** out the fire. It worked suprizingly well and I aimed for all the big fire areas and put them out. Then he followed up with some more smothering. Well a lot of electrical wires were burnt but the car was fixable. and I saved my friends car from melting to a puddle by peeing on it. One of my greatest car stories.

Sorry about your car, I'd go with an LS1. I just got one and Im in love with it
Kenny

Rofl!
Old 11-25-2004, 06:50 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by landonew
I have a friend who said that with a lid(air filter), exhaust, 12 bolt, clutch, throttle body, good heads, and a good cam, I could be pushing well over 400 at the rear wheels..
You won't even need that much work to make 400rwhp.