Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFR's Patriot performace "gold" springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 06:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFR's Patriot performace "gold" springs

I purchased a set of AFR heads with the stock Patriot Performance gold springs. I also have a set of springs set directly from Patriot Performance and they are the "gold" one's. The two springs do not look the same. The PP spring is very golden and has a smooth shinny finish. The AFR's are dark golden in color and are dull in finish. The reason I am so worried is that I just looked at one of my old PP springs(which broke with only 6,000 miles on it with a small tr220 cam) and the AFR spring and my old PP spring are identical in color and finish. What spring is AFR using? The old PP springs or the new PP "gold" spring.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great question. When I emailed Thunderracing I was told to call AFR direct and ask them what spring they used.
Old 11-26-2004, 08:19 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm pretty sure AFR usses Comp. products.

Are these going on the GTO?
Old 11-26-2004, 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

Tony Mamo said that they were using the Patriot springs in a post some time ago.
Old 11-26-2004, 08:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeap I would speak to AFR direct and get part#'s, at least it should match the ones on your PP set.
It is easy to swap them with the heads off, I would do it anyways.
Old 11-26-2004, 08:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes but for $2200 I would expect the better springs to begin with no?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ght=afr+spring
Old 11-26-2004, 09:26 AM
Teching In

. I did talk to AFR's tech support and was the told the reason for the difference in the springs was more "Quality control at AFR". So i was under the impression that maybe it the good gold sping just sand plasted to remove the finish and to look for imperfections (yes I am an idiot for thinking this) Now when I look at the two spring together there is no way its the same spring. At this point the heads are no on the car with the spring from AFR. I did not come across one of my old springs until the heads were on the car and almost completely reassembled, if this was not the case I would of put on the PP "gold" springs. I just hope these do not fail as so as the PP older type of spring. The reason these heads are on my car in the first place was I broke a spring and bent a valve. So while the heads are off why not up grade to the AFR's with the new Patriot gold spring

Last edited by Brent02; 11-26-2004 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

Question

Maybe AFR is now using the PRC "gold" spring kit instead of the Patriot "Golds".

Do your springs look like this?
http://www.texas-speed.com/images/prckit.jpg
Old 11-26-2004, 11:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

The AFR valve springs are coming from the same source as PP and PRC (and a lot of other places) purchase them from.

No magic here, "Associated Spring" makes them for everyone.

I've been buying the same springs in bulk for a while now.

Good pieces no matter what color!

Ed
Old 11-26-2004, 02:10 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default AFR "Standard" springs...

Relax guys...

My first question before I clear up this situation is why not try contacting the "source" (the manufacturer) before making a big fuss on the internet and taking the chance of possibly getting the wrong information anyway??

If the "source" is unable to be contacted or reached (highly unlikely), it certainly makes a lot of sense to go on the boards and see what you might find out, although personally, I ALWAYS prefer to hear it out of the "horses" mouth if you will. This is very "general" advice, not specific to AFR, and is usually the best way to get ACCURATE information no matter who's product you might have a question concerning.

That being said, Patriot Performance is not in the "valve spring business"....they purchase them from a manufacturer that supplies many springs to many different companies. I like to refer to them as "Patriot Springs" only because you guys can relate to the very good level of reliability these springs have provided out in the field. AFR's "standard spring" is the EXACT same spring purchased from the exact same supplier as the "Patriot Gold", however, we opted not to pay extra for the gold finish which is purely cosmetic. Some of our earlier 205's that shipped had the "gold" spring because we were in a time crunch and had to purchase them direct from Patriot at the time.

This spring has proven VERY dependable and AFR choose to use this spring based on the benefits of a dual spring design, it met our criteria for seat and open pressures, and the reliablity we saw out in the field has been phenominal....and a good portion of that input came from message boards such as this. We have hundreds of 205's out in the field currently, and so far we haven't heard of a single failure with that spring to the best of my knowledge (at least on an AFR headed engine).

Hope this info puts you guys at ease...

Regards,
The "Source"
Old 11-26-2004, 03:10 PM
Teching In

Thanks for clearing this up. Just to point out I did call AFR's tech support and was told about why the spring was different was due to "Quality control at AFR". If your tech support told me it was only a cosmetic thing then I would of not been posting this.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by EDC
The AFR valve springs are coming from the same source as PP and PRC (and a lot of other places) purchase them from.

No magic here, "Associated Spring" makes them for everyone.

I've been buying the same springs in bulk for a while now.

Good pieces no matter what color!

Ed
Very good information.
Old 11-26-2004, 05:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Gald thats cleared up... pics wouyd be cool!