Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Me and HOSS got in a few runs this afternoon

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 04:23 PM
STF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Me and HOSS got in a few runs this afternoon

This afternoon Ben (HOSS) wanted to check out my car and I wanted to see how my car does against a lightly modded M6 SS. Well we meet up at the Cookout and I take him for a ride, and scope out the road that we will race on to make sure that there aren't any cops. We both head out and it seems like there is a lot of traffic but as luck would have it the light before the long stretch of highway turns red. We both line up and get ready. Light turns and we both launch I spin and wheel hop and feather the gas and I can hear Ben spin a little. I pull ahead in first by maybe a car and I try to shift into second and I miss the hell out of second gear . (I know is should be impossible to miss second ) Ben forgot to turn his traction control off too. We really messed up a great opportunity to have a good race from a dig. Well, me missing second allows Ben to catch back up to me quickly. Once I finally got it into gear I started pulling away slowly. We probably ran up to 110 on the first run. The next run was from a 60 mph roll. 3 honks and we're off. Both of us in second. It is pretty close in second and I start pulling away again in third. Then I miss fourth gear. I really hate this shifter!!! But we were coming up on traffic so it was the end of the race anyway. We do a u-turn and go for one more run at 60 mph. I give Ben the jump. This time I actually hit all of my gears(what a damn shock). We run up to about 130 mph. He said he let out of it around 120 mph. I'm not sure how many cars I was ahead. I think it might have been 3 maybe 4. He might be able to tell better than me. All in all it was a lot of fun. I really like the Cobra alot. I can't wait to get the KB blower! Then I might be ready for George (TurninLT4) .
Old 11-26-2004, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Good runs guys.

That stock shifter is horrible isn't it Brandon? Gotta ditch it asap.
Old 11-26-2004, 05:43 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by unit213
Good runs guys.

That stock shifter is horrible isn't it Brandon? Gotta ditch it asap.
Yeah that will be my first mod.
Old 11-26-2004, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

Good runs! Yep, my first mod was a catback and a Steed Tri-Ax. It was awesome. I used to miss about 3-5 times.. now I miss only if I get nervous.. which doesn't happen that often. I think I've only missed twice since I got the shifter.. and one of the times was the first time I took the car out after the shifter install to try it out.
Old 11-26-2004, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

watz wrong with stock shifter???
Old 11-26-2004, 06:22 PM
STF Veteran

It is very notchy feeling.
Old 11-26-2004, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by TX_SS
You tell me...

Old 11-26-2004, 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TX_SS
Supposedly, the stock shifter's spring isn't very strong so when you try to powershift into 3rd, the spring doesn't spring it back into the neutral position fast enough and you just bang the shift fork. Another horrible thing about the stock shfiter the reach.. man it's bad. With the Tri-Ax and the Pro5.0 it's better, but not the best. IMO, the MGW handle is awesome because it curves towards you and you actually don't have to "reach" to get it into 3rd. But I've been too lazy to order this $30 part.

Alot of Cobra owners, including myself, move the seat up a inch or so just so we can get a good grip on the handle and reduce the travel our arms have to do when shifting into 3rd.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:53 AM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by Big Turkey
Supposedly, the stock shifter's spring isn't very strong so when you try to powershift into 3rd, the spring doesn't spring it back into the neutral position fast enough and you just bang the shift fork. Another horrible thing about the stock shfiter the reach.. man it's bad. With the Tri-Ax and the Pro5.0 it's better, but not the best. IMO, the MGW handle is awesome because it curves towards you and you actually don't have to "reach" to get it into 3rd. But I've been too lazy to order this $30 part.

Alot of Cobra owners, including myself, move the seat up a inch or so just so we can get a good grip on the handle and reduce the travel our arms have to do when shifting into 3rd.
Well, Dan PM'ed me some stuff last night and I am going to get the Pro5.0 shifter and the MGW handle plus a CAI. That ought to be enough to hold me over for a month or two.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Do you guys want some cheese with all that wine.......?
Old 11-27-2004, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by titanium barchetta
Do you guys want some cheese with all that wine.......?
That's wHine Chris.

Your **** talking skillz left with your 'stang.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:15 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS
Well, Dan PM'ed me some stuff last night and I am going to get the Pro5.0 shifter and the MGW handle plus a CAI. That ought to be enough to hold me over for a month or two.
Or a week or two

Just fork over the money and get a catback as well.. you'll gain a good amount of midrange and top end.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Big Turkey
Or a week or two

Just fork over the money and get a catback as well...
No way Jose. That cuts WAY into the KB fund. My Bassani catback was $700 if I recall correctly.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Isnt he going to NEED a catback with the KB anyway? I'm assuming it wont be able to breathe out fast enough to handle 21 psi worth of blowzilla.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by KCamaro
Isnt he going to NEED a catback with the KB anyway? I'm assuming it wont be able to breathe out fast enough to handle 21 psi worth of blowzilla.
Eventually, yes. What happens is that guys (like me ) end up nickel and diming ourselves to death instead of just saving up and getting the only real mod that counts first. I've spent well over $5K in mods so far. I should've just bought a KB right from the get go.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:04 AM
TECH Junkie

That's wHine Chris.

Your **** talking skillz left with your 'stang.
Justy a little rHusty brother, not gone!
Old 11-27-2004, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

Eventually, yes. What happens is that guys (like me ) end up nickel and diming ourselves to death instead of just saving up and getting the only real mod that counts first. I've spent well over $5K in mods so far. I should've just bought a KB right from the get go.
Yeah I hear ya. I didn't think I was goign to go hardcore with the car anyways.. and I bought the same catback. It was a little cheaper because I purchased other things.. I think mine came out to $980 for the Bassani SS catted X and catback. Now I have longtubes and have sold the catback.. I'm about $2500 down the drain but it's all crap that I would eventually need with a KB.. but still.