Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After Heads install issues, need some help

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 11:12 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After Heads install issues, need some help

Ok, friends installed my heads, and after startup a P0171 Bank 1 too lean, and they couldnt get Edit to conenct either. I am sure the two are unrelated, but...
I am guessing either some anitfreeze got on an O2 sensor knocking it out, OR a vacuum leak at the intake. Thats all I can think of while sitting in Afghanistan. Anyone want to chime in and offer some help, hindsight 20/20 need to remove O2's before removing heads.

Oh BTW, I dont run coolant in my car since last year, straight water, could have been some residual or ??????
Old 11-27-2004, 01:23 AM
TECH Junkie

believe or not I got a too lean code when I had an exhaust leak just after my 02 sensor. We found that the bung that is there for the a/f on dyno runs had fallen out, my ltrims were maximum + lol and my strims were max + until I floored it. My guess is that the cool air was coming in an exhaust leak cooling the 02 to the point that that it tried to go lean, I was also having some part throttle stuttering issues while in this mode but when I floored it it went away. replaced bung and all was normal

Just saying dont rule out an exhaust leak either but I would also imagine the 02's could be screwed up if antifreeze got on em. Also with an intake leak doesnt the MAP read either really high or really low (cant remember which one) due to lack of atmospheric vacuum?
Old 11-27-2004, 01:38 AM
Restricted User

MAP should change, with enough to make the code throw on one side at least it seems like it would. And yep, I read through the search resultsin Diag section, seen your post in there. I forgot to add the exhaust but totally agree. At this point I am just trying to internet troubleshoot, Drew778 swapped the heads for me, so we'll see.

Thanks

Charlie
Old 11-27-2004, 06:59 PM
10 Second Club

Well, if this helps, I disconnect the MAF and Bank 1 was still running lean?

I'm going to check the driver side header again
Old 11-27-2004, 09:22 PM
TECH Junkie

are you guys able to drive around with a scan tool and look at the strims vs the ltrims? Maybe start there and just get a feel for how the car is acting. Is it lean at WOT? or only at part throttle? Inquiring minds want to know
Old 11-27-2004, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All grounds are secure on the back of the drivers head?
Old 11-28-2004, 02:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

As far as I know I hooked up the 3 grounds on the back of the heads. Also for some reason the headers were loose at the clamps. Also any ideas on why the ls1 edit won't open the file? opens mine and drews up with no problems.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:57 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike K.
are you guys able to drive around with a scan tool and look at the strims vs the ltrims? Maybe start there and just get a feel for how the car is acting. Is it lean at WOT? or only at part throttle? Inquiring minds want to know

The Strims were 50 and the Ltrims were 25 on the drivers side.

As for WOT I never got that far the more throttle I gave it the worse it started breaking up.