Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock exhaust+cutout or Borla?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default stock exhaust+cutout or Borla?

hey guys currently i've got Pacesetter LT headers, Pacesetter ORY, and my stock exhaust plus a 3" cutout right after the rear axle

anyways i've been thinking of getting a Borla, what do you'll think? will i gain or lose power? i plan on running the open plate most of the time, i run my cutout open as of now too and its not as loud as i thought

any suggestions would be appreciated
Old 11-30-2004, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Me personally, I wouldn't do that at all. It's going to sound similar, but probably even more raspy/higher-pitched than the cutout. Volume should be about the same if you run it wide-open. You won't lose any power running the wide-open Borla anyway (it's basically a built-in cutout). You're basically going to be paying $600+ for a high quality stainless steel system w/ some fancy tips. I'd only do it if you really, really like the tone of the Borla with headers & no cats and want that look...

Save your $$$ IMO!

Mike
Old 11-30-2004, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

it's going to sound like **** with the BORLA unless you add a Borla bullet to the I pipe. With your setup why don't you look into getting a Hooker catback. These are inexpensive and sound awesome with LTs and ORY.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

actually i know someone selling a hooker catback but its for a LT1, will it work on mine?
Old 11-30-2004, 03:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you might also want to look into gmmg(going to be pretty loud) or corsa. corsa im my opinion would be perfect for what you looking for, not too loud at idle but wakes up when you get on it. it somehow always keeps an awesome low tone too. just my $.02
Old 11-30-2004, 08:09 PM
10 Second Club

i did both borla on the 99 formy and cutout on the 00 formy. the borla picked up .4 in the 1/4. the cutout gain nothing in ET. lost .1 in 60ft but gained 1 mph. the cutout will eventually get annoying because it dumps under the car. and in doing this, it is real loud in the car.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

borla is nothing more than a overpriced cutout.
magnaflow and hooker both sound good with long tubes.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:22 PM
10 Second Club

yeah must be. that's why i gained with the borla. and got nothing from the cutout.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

I have the Borla on mine and it is pretty loud. i had to run to MTI at lunch today and pick up a block off plate to tone it down. To tell you the truth it is kinda raspy when you get on in like the metal is vibrating, but is really lound and sounds bada$$ once the rasp quites. i orginally thought something might have come loose but climbed under neath the car and it was all tight.
Just my .02 cents.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

well the Corsa and GMMG are pretty pricy, i've found a Borla used and its pretty cheap, that's the only reason i was even considering it

every now and then i make trips to Plano (6 hrs from Lubbock) and its nice that i can cap my cutout and have my car sounding very quiet, that's kind of why i was attracted to the Borla b/c i could cap it and run it straight thru the muffler and have it not be so loud

BUT, i'm getting extremely annoyed of the rasp i have now, so with a $400 budget what can be done?

another friend suggested a Dynomax bullet muffler on my stock I-pipe and just get a LS6 intake for the money
Old 11-30-2004, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What would be a good bullet style muffler to run to quite things down? Spending $400 is just to much for another catback
Old 12-01-2004, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you're already sick of the rasp with the cutout I guarantee you it will only sound worse with the Borla...

You're best bet would be to either put some HIGHFLOW CATS on the Y-pipe (trust me, this really WORKS in eliminating the rasp, popping, and higher-pitched tones). Or you could just put a SLP dual/dual or Hooker cat-back on your car which both sound much less raspy without cats then say your cutout or a Borla system...

Only surefire fix to eliminating rasp while running no cats is to use a true dual X pipe system out the mufflers of your choice, but that does cost some money, especially if you want to go out the back...

Mike
Old 12-01-2004, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You could try a XR-1 Borla, i've heard they're supposed to sound awsome and should kill the rasp.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mrr23
yeah must be. that's why i gained with the borla. and got nothing from the cutout.
that may be true. borla still sounds like **** w/lt's and ory.

if you can't afford corsa or gmmg, than why not look into magnaflow or hooker? both can be had for under $400 new usually, and sound great for the price.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:22 PM
10 Second Club

well it has bassani optimum length headers with hi-flow cats. i have no rasp. it's quieter than a cutout. the cutout has been removed from the 00 formy. in it's place is the bassani dual exhaust that's in another thread on this board. sound is just opinions. the borla is better sounding than the cutout to me. and i have both at the same time. the bassani dual exhaust i have on the 00 formy now is better sounding to me than the borla. much quieter like a magnaflow.