Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NY new Emission testing

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 08:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NY new Emission testing

Ny just passed a bill to have emissions testing on all 96 and up vehicles. This test is done through a computer connected directly to the state, and the dmv. Now, this is not a sniffer test. this plugs right into the OBD2 port and scans your vehicles computer. It is looking to see if you have any engine codes, and that your monitors are in ready mode. if you have no engine codes and all your monitors show ready, you pass.
Here is my question, is there any way i am going to keep my engine from throwing codes, and make sure all monitors are ready on a TReX cam? I know you can just delete codes with hp tuners, but once you delete the code wont the monitor show not ready? any input would be great.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

hptuners will let you do what you want to do i promise
Old 12-01-2004, 01:06 PM
FormerVendor

Even with the ready codes/tests the computer does?
Old 12-01-2004, 01:08 PM
TECH Veteran

I live in NY and failed inspection (sniffer test) two weeks ago. When does this go into effect and does it eliminate the sniffer?

I have LS1Edit and I have eliminated some emissions tests. I also have rear O2 SIMMS.

Does anyone know if this would present a problem?

These NY monkeys have retroactively tightened the sniffer standard last year and again this year.....really a pain for cars that have been manufactured in earlier years..

This does not seem fair to me....
Old 12-01-2004, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
I live in NY and failed inspection (sniffer test) two weeks ago. When does this go into effect and does it eliminate the sniffer?
Today!

http://www.nysdmv.com/vehsafe.htm#NYVIP

Well, depends where you live. For us metro NY area folk, we may have to wait anoter 4 months.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

as i said it will do what you want, readiness and all. down here you can even have 1 non-ready bit for 01-02 and 2 for 96-02 i think, unless its changed.

here's the deal it can take weeks to get some tuffies like EVAP to become ready after you:
1. read & clear the obd-2 fault codes.
2. make any changes to the ecm tune.

So make sure you give yourself time, with hptuners 1.5 you can see your readiness bits, and on my 00 the evap took 2 weeks to set. And yeah i have all my evap gear on. that one had me worried for a bit till i realized i could have 2 non-ready bits. The rest of them fall inline pretty fast (maybe a week at most).

as i said you should have no worries once the readiness bits are set. make sure of two things:
1. some places check for cats, for legality sake we'll assume you have them, even with this test, some don't. it may be discretion or law, check.
2. The # of not ready readiness bits allowed for your year, definitely find out.
3. dont wait till the last minute to buy hptuners and think you can go in the next day and pass, unless you are going to actually do the drive cycle which is a very unrealistic pattern. Best to give yourself a month or so to get all bits set, maybe 2 weeks, maybe less if you drive more, i drive mostly city (45 and less mph) so my car doesn't even get into some of the drive cycle speed ranges (55mph).

that being said, talk to a buddy that works the emissions place, see what the protocol is for them, just ask, then do whatcha gotta do man.

some states are 100% OBD-2 but check for cats. Some states do OBD-2 test AND rollers, some states like cali will check every damn thing that doesn't look stock and you best be good at printing (j/k) CARB exempt stickers and passings obd-2 and sniffer. lol.

of course i'm not giving you advice on anything illegal, if you do something and get caught, well that sux to be you.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:35 PM
Launching!

From what I understand if the MILs associated with any readiness tests are set to report no error then the monitor is automatically satisfied. Will be trying soon.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Sounds like NY is adopting the same program we have had in Ga. since 99, send me a PM if I can help.(have done over 18K Et's since 98).
Old 12-06-2004, 02:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by james99ws6
Ny just passed a bill to have emissions testing on all 96 and up vehicles. This test is done through a computer connected directly to the state, and the dmv. Now, this is not a sniffer test. this plugs right into the OBD2 port and scans your vehicles computer. It is looking to see if you have any engine codes, and that your monitors are in ready mode. if you have no engine codes and all your monitors show ready, you pass.
Here is my question, is there any way i am going to keep my engine from throwing codes, and make sure all monitors are ready on a TReX cam? I know you can just delete codes with hp tuners, but once you delete the code wont the monitor show not ready? any input would be great.
We have the same test here in parts of Texas. There is more to it then this. You can only fail 2 codes. Your idle speed cannot go over a certian RPM. If you remove your AIR & EGR (I did) theres at least 2 codes there. Im not so sure that you can just put the code in a "3 - No Error Reported" and it will pass with the state. I do know that it will turn off the SES light but if the dmv goes out and trys to get the voltage reading from the sensor it will probably not be within spec. I know (for me at least) passing inspection will be a beetch. I guess ill find out in january
Old 12-06-2004, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We've got OBDII testing here too... I got my emissions notice In October... but it said I don't have to do it till the end of April (at the latest) ... so I won't know for sure until next year (car's sleeping for the winter now) but I think IL is the same as mentioned for GA .. (which is good cause last I checked my 2000 wasn't setting ready yes for EVAP and O2 heaters)
Old 12-06-2004, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hi Folks
Maryland checks for fail codes but the car is not running when they do. I believe they look for SES light to see if it is on or fail codes inside the PCM. I have three cars they have gone thru and they plug into the PCM connector. I wish I knew what they look for but I believe it is fail codes. What is a pass or fail criteria, I don't know.
Bill
Old 12-06-2004, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Most states, including mine do not visually check for cats at the emissions station. If the OBDII says it passes, your out the door. You have to watch out for a few things. Turning the EGR "off" on hptuners will yeild an Unready status for EGR system. Its best to zero out the egr values and delete the codes so it will never open, but still be "ready". Sam, it must be your type of Driving cycles. I can usually pass all my readyness test in two days or less. However i'm going anywhere from 0 to 80 mph every day city and highway.

If you play your cards right using ls1edit or HPtuners you can past the OBDII test regardless of what mods, changes you have made to the emissions test. I've known cars H/C and ture duals pass I'd hate to see what it would read on the sniffer PM me if you have any questions. I worked at an inspection station a while back.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:10 AM
TECH Addict

it's pretty obvious as the dude is choking on the gas fumes whats up they aren't that dumb to not pick up on a ls1 sized motor without cats lol

you can smell one from 10 feet away on any given day. they probably dont care since they are getting their $7 for doing the test and you pay them your $25 or $15 or whatever.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Where do you see "non-ready" bits?

Are these codes the PCM throws when the engine check light comes on or what?

When LS1Edit first came out there was an enormous void of written information about how to tune and understand PCMs.

Has this changed? Does Carputing have any better instructions? Is there any where you can look to find valuable information on tuning other than this board?

Thanks...
Old 12-07-2004, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The HP Tuners scanner allows the ability to see the readiness bits , the PCM sets them after a couple driving cycles has completed and it sees everything is ok... not sure if the Edit scanner has this included , but prolly not
Old 12-07-2004, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by samz28
it's pretty obvious as the dude is choking on the gas fumes whats up they aren't that dumb to not pick up on a ls1 sized motor without cats lol

you can smell one from 10 feet away on any given day. they probably dont care since they are getting their $7 for doing the test and you pay them your $25 or $15 or whatever.
Yup, they don't care. But look, half the guys there are car guys in the first place, busting fast cars for bs reasons is the last thing they are looking to do. My center was up to 4 Fbody owners at one time.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeh, if I'm paid $7 per hour I think it is amusing to flunk some F-body guys that are trying to participate in a hobby that is fast becoming illegal....