Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 Tranny Problems..

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 01:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A4 Tranny Problems..

Hi. I have a '93 Z28 and a week ago I experienced an interesting problem. I started the car and it immediately shifted into reverse (The stick was in park!). The car would not shift into park despite the indicator being in park, so I had to put it in neutral with the parking brake on whenever I parked. I think the linkage is messed up because sometimes when I shift into reverse the tranny goes into neutral. The problem I am having now is the fact that my car won't start at all. I tested the battery and the starter and both have plenty of power. The lights turn on and everything works fine until I turn the key. My guess is that my car has to be in park for it to start. So I've opened up my console where the shifter is and I figure I need to adjust something in order for the linkage to match up properly again. This is where I am lost, because there are several wires and connections under the shifter that I have no clue about. Any help with what to adjust or mess with would be appreciated fellas.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can put your console back together the adjustment is under the car there is a bracket that the cable goes though the bolts could have backed off or your cable could just be bad plain and simple
good luck
rick
Old 12-01-2004, 03:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

A 93 has the neutral safety switch mounted to the shifter under the console. Only newer cars have the switch on the trans. With the key in the crank position the yellow wire should have fire going into the switch. Then check the purple wire coming out which goes to the starter it should also have power on it then. If it does not the problem is the adjustment of the switch or the cable is giving problems and not allowing the shifter to actuate correctly in which case the switch is doing exactly what it is designed to do interupt the starter if the car is in gear. Also check to see if the security light on the dash is flashing during crank. It is getting old enough now to where the lock cylinder can cause troubles.