Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Katech Vs. ARP Rod Bolts?

Old 12-01-2004, 06:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Katech Vs. ARP Rod Bolts?

Ok i spent most of yesterday searching this topic and have a question that is left over.
Katech's Rod Bolt is about the same weight and length as the stockers with good tensile strength. This will do less to throw off the how everything is balanced right? It will also keep from deforming the rod ends if i read everything right.

ARP bolts are heavier and longer helping to unbalance rotating assembly some. So besides price, why do more people go with ARP Rod Bolts over Katechs (besides price)?

Seems if you want to spin the motor to higher rev's you wouldnt want to do something that would throw the balance off, even if it is very little. Just a newb trying to learn, so educate me guys
Old 12-01-2004, 08:35 PM
Launching!

ummm anybody?
Old 12-01-2004, 09:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bluehawk27
ummm anybody?
I went with the ARP Pro's. No balance issues I can feel. Caveat. ARP recommends resizing the rods if you use their bolts. They have seen deformation in rods that have the bolts replace with theirs. I talked to an engineer at Katech and he told me it is not nessecary to resize with their bolts. I checked mine the best I could from underneath the car and didn't measure any difference. Your results may vary.
BTW, I now have about 490crank hp and 470crank torque. I have made several trips to 6800rpm and one to 7200 when I missed a shift and no issues.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

My car will be a testiment to the strength of the stock rod bolts with a good tune.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

I asked about this before. It seems that you may (though most likely will not) have problems going with the ARPs, as they may cause out of round issues. You should not have any issues with the Katech's though. So when I swap out my stockers I will use Katech, cause the way I see it why take chances when you don't have to. I also like to do things only once and get it right the first time. That may not always happen but that is what I try to do. If that involves spending a bit more now, I'll always do it than have to spend more than double when I have to do it again the second time around and then I have to buy better parts which I should have gotten to begin with. This is where thourough research becomes an invaluable tool when choosing parts and set ups. That's just my 2 cents worth though.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

This is where thourough research becomes an invaluable tool when choosing parts and set ups. That's just my 2 cents worth though.

TOTALLY AGREED HERE!! My dad is an engineer and im going to be in the same field he is in (I'm at college now) and he has taught me to just wait it out and look at everything even if it sets you back a while it would almost all the time be worth the wait to get everything done right the first time.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by family sedan
My car will be a testiment to the strength of the stock rod bolts with a good tune.
Well, I hope you aren't planning on revving that thing to high, good luck with that one. I also talked with an Engineer at Katech and he said their Rod Bolts were designed around the ASA engine program, and I am not sure if you realize it or not, there was not a single engine failure until GM decided to rebuild them. So I don't know what you guys would do, but I would put my money on the Katech bolt hands down. They get the advantage of dealing with the GM race programs everyday and I think that says enough right there.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:15 AM
TECH Addict

ARP has the some of the finest heat treating equipment and matallurgical staff in the world. Don't think for a minute that GM can do no wrong.Large corprorations tend to suffer from "Not invented here syndrome" and will pass right over a better design in order to make sure there own companies/subsidaries products are being used.

I would take ARP hands down. Resizing a rod is a neccessary step in thsi process IMO. If you are willing to skip that step you might as well skip the new bolts and pray that the stockers will hold (they won't)
Old 12-04-2004, 12:36 PM
Under criminal investigation for fraud

Originally Posted by MSURacing
Well, I hope you aren't planning on revving that thing to high, good luck with that one. I also talked with an Engineer at Katech and he said their Rod Bolts were designed around the ASA engine program, and I am not sure if you realize it or not, there was not a single engine failure until GM decided to rebuild them. So I don't know what you guys would do, but I would put my money on the Katech bolt hands down. They get the advantage of dealing with the GM race programs everyday and I think that says enough right there.
I wouldn't go as far as saying there wasn't a single ASA engine failure prior to rebuilding them. I can think of a few that met there maker in a ASA car. But that's another story.

Just a little info on the Katech rod bolts, they aren't made directly by Katech. They are made for Katech by A-1 technology's in California. They are a large fastener company that was hired by GM to make the ASA rod bolts. After GM did all of the testing on them, with the help of Katech, Katech then became the source to purchase these bolts from. A-1 also makes mutiple other fasteners for GM, including the studs that come with the C5R blocks.

Thanks
Old 12-04-2004, 10:01 PM
Restricted User

Hmm interesting points on the Rod deformtion, havent heard anyone mention that before. Also, interesting about A-1 and Katech relationship....reminds of which is really better, Craftsman or Mac (or snap-on, or Husky etc....).
Old 12-04-2004, 11:09 PM
Launching!

Why would the bolts need to be resized if their torque value is the same? I can understand how torquing down the bolts more could be a problem, but just because the bolts are stronger doesn't necissarly mean they need more torque.

If I remember Screw to Win correctly, a bolt's strain (stretch) as its tightened is what applies a force holding the head against the rod which holds everything together. Seems like this wouldn't necissarly mean you need more torque with a stronger bolt, maybe just less strain. But I dunno, I'm no ME....

Last edited by Grant B; 12-04-2004 at 11:16 PM.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:46 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I am wondering this same thing myself. ARP has a great reputation but I will spend the extra on the Katech bolts if they are better for this application. I want to get one more year out of the stock short block and see this as cheap insurance.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting , just noticed my rod bolts on my new LPE engine have 'A-1' stamped on them. Since LPE builds motors for ASA ( LPE just signed on for their 5th season ) these must be the Katech bolts.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Jager switched to A-1 after the ARP bolts failed during "intallation"!!!!

Never reached stretch dim before they snapped. More than one set up also.

ARP hardware in far from perfect and has it's "issues". They just spend more money in advertising so they are more familiar to the masses.

Ed
Old 12-05-2004, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

So, is rod resizing necessary with the Katech bolts since they are much closer to stock size/specifications, like its 'necessary' with the ARP bolts? If not, these bolts would make a great insurance policy for a few thousand miles saving up for a new block
Old 12-05-2004, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Grant B
Why would the bolts need to be resized if their torque value is the same? I can understand how torquing down the bolts more could be a problem, but just because the bolts are stronger doesn't necissarly mean they need more torque.

If I remember Screw to Win correctly, a bolt's strain (stretch) as its tightened is what applies a force holding the head against the rod which holds everything together. Seems like this wouldn't necissarly mean you need more torque with a stronger bolt, maybe just less strain. But I dunno, I'm no ME....
Screw to win? Carol Smith? Engineer to win and others in the series?

Clamping abaility is the determining factor. Not the torque value. Besides, you should be setting your rod bolts up with stretch not torque values.

Search this Thread