Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High-Mileage block, okay for re-build?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High-Mileage block, okay for re-build?

I am wondering if a block...JUST the block itself can be just as good as a fresh brand new bare block, if it's got over 100k miles on it? Basically stripping the block down to bare, and re-building it from the ground up. The motor lost the oil pump, and spun a rod bearing, since there is now damage to the crank, and I don't want to cut corners on this one, which onen would be the best way to go (cost wise) buy a stock type crank (new) or, go ahead and do a stroker motor now, while the opportunity is here? How much generally does a stroker set-up run vs. a stock-inch build up? Not looking to build anything too radical, but would like to make a street-friendly car, capable of 125-ish mph traps, full weight with 4.10's and a 6-speed.

Thanks In Advance Guys,
Jason
Old 12-01-2004, 06:43 PM
Launching!

I'm not an engine builder or anything, but there are a lot of really good builders out there offering blueprinted, balanced, machined 346 shortblocks for under $3000.00 with a warranty. If you want forged parts, it can be less than $3500.00. Many of these shops are LS1TECH sponsors, Keith Craft Motorsports, AP Engineering, LS1Speed, and many others.

Unless you really want to go through the experience of a build-up, that's the way I would go. Just my $.02...
Old 12-01-2004, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

High mileage blocks are fine if it's still in normal condition. They are already well seasoned. Good luck on the rebuild.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Well, wasn't really wanting to have to mess with a build-up, but I figured that it would be a little cheaper. I am 100% against using used parts, so I wasn't going to 1/2 *** it to get it done quickly, I would take however long it took to get it done right. Forged is DEFINITELY a necessity, b/c I am sure at some point, it's gooing to feel "Slow" so I would like to be able to spray on it without worrying about stock cast parts failing. My only fear of ordering a short-block, is how do you really know you are getting what you are paying for?
Old 12-01-2004, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

The block itself, I believe to be in good shape, with a TR230 cam, and a set of stg. 1.5 Lloyd Elliott heads, stock ls1 intake, TB, MAF etc the car made 389 rwhp...so it was healthy when it went **** up.