Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need serious help!!! What should I do???

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 09:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I need serious help!!! What should I do???

Hey Everyone, basically I have no idea where to start... Im thinking about getting a cam for Christmas, (or something else) but if someone else has better Ideas help me out.. Basically my car is stock... lid/exhaust. Now, I wanna do it right if I get a cam. Heres what I want in the end: The car is not a daily driver but I definetly want driveability... I wanna have the a/c work in the summer on a hot day and it not overheat, I want the car to act normal, a rough idle is ok but I just want driveability... I DONT want ANY check engine lights... I hate those...I wanna get it tuned ONCE and not have to mess around anymore... Basically I want the car to seem normal all the time, but have more get up and go... I want to keep the price down as much as possible but I want the most power possible... What cam should I get??? Do i have to get different springs/retainers... pushrods??? How much will everything cost me?? I dont know if Im crazy but is it possible to get everything done cam and the tune for 400 bucks?? I could do the install...

Or should I keep the stock internals??? Im really torn on this one...

Now, if yall dont think that is possible what are some other go-fast parts I could get?? I was thinking headers, but if I did it I would wanna take the cats off then I would have to get a whole new exhaust built, then I would have tuning problems and yadda yadda and I think it would be way to expensive because I would wanna do it right. ... am I right?

This is what I use the car for:

I randomly like to do driving events, I go the the drag strip rarely but that is fun also... Its not daily driven but, it could be if I end up sellin my honda.. I love my car because its never done anything weird (check engine lights etc.), it runs great and I want it to be the same when I get done except with more power...

HEEEELLLLLPPPP!!!!!!! Im gonna go crazy!!!!
Old 12-01-2004, 09:34 PM
Possible Scammer - Buyer Beware - Issues Unresolved

headers before cam
Old 12-01-2004, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Its gonna cost over 1000 dollars for a cam kit (pushrods, retainers, dual springs, valve locks, valve seals) and a tune. I would definatley pick up a set of headers before the cam install which will run you roughly 400 and up. Cam kits are usually around $699 and up.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BadBowtie03
What cam should I get??? Do i have to get different springs/retainers... pushrods??? How much will everything cost me?? I dont know if Im crazy but is it possible to get everything done cam and the tune for 400 bucks??
-Thunder Racing 224/224 based on your requirements
-Yes, new springs and retainers. Pushrods are optional...along w/ lifters, oil pump, and timing chain.
-Cam package bought, installed, and tuned about $1200
-No, it's not possible to get everything done and tuned for $400

Side note, if you've only got $400 to spend, save your pennies until you have a good chunk to spend. $400 won't get you much performance wise. Maybe used longtube headers. When buying mods, always remember to figure in the cost of install and the cost of tuning (if necessary). You gotta pay to play.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ws.6kid
Its gonna cost over 1000 dollars for a cam kit (pushrods, retainers, dual springs, valve locks, valve seals) and a tune. I would definatley pick up a set of headers before the cam install which will run you roughly 400 and up. Cam kits are usually around $699 and up.

Alright well, I think both are outta my league at least for now... what other go fast part could I get? What would be worth it??
Old 12-01-2004, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

get your exhaust set up for a cam first. headers, catback. then start looking into a cam.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You can buy some pacesetters for 370 coated from TSP, but then again you run into the cats issue. You could buy and ORY for another 120. Or, are you wanting to go the true duals route?
Old 12-02-2004, 12:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

why would you need to redo the whole exhaust? maybe throw another bullet mufller in there for the time being....but shouldn't cause any tuning issues really. might run a little rich(cuz of headers) but nothing to worry about.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:34 AM
Launching!

Hey, well.. I was thinking... My exhaust right now is factory manifolds factory cats and factory y pipe... In the I pipe is a bullet and then piping after that and tips... I like the way it sounds right now, but It would be nice to have headers for more power... How would I do it if I didnt rebuild the exhaust? Can I do headers and then take the cats off and build pipe into the factory Y?? Wouldnt this kinda be the cheap way out? To do it right woulndt I need to do duals or buy an off road Y?

Well, now that I think about it... I could do headers to an offroad Y into my bullet muffler and leave the piping that is there now... but wouldnt that be REALLLY Loud? What should I do??
Old 12-02-2004, 08:35 AM
Launching!

What about Rasp??
Old 12-02-2004, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

yo could fabricate a junction between the aftermarket y-pipe and the stock exhaust witht he bullet in it......as for the rasp.it all depends...a loudmouth for example that has now muffler, when combined with with headeers a ory can be raspy. however, people install a bullet or borla XR-1 replacing the reso and bam!! almost no rasp and a deeper tone.

I guess you ant to keep the stock looking exhaust tips so this is you best solution...........however, the borla is more expensive but known to get rid of more of the rasp...

as for the performance.....

I would suggest that you worked out your exhaust first so when you drop in the cam it will have all the "room" needed to make good hp/trq. For $400, save wat you can because IMO i wouldnt get something used that doesnt have a gaurantee and is possibly damaged without you knowing.....also, it seems common for people to tune more than once so just be ready if you have to again........suggestion:

1. exhaust
2. assembly heads nd cam
3. tune

good luck.laterZ
Old 12-02-2004, 09:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your budget is $400 bucks right now Id get LTs like pacesetters or Flotechs and just throw a bullet muffler off each hedder. (I did that w/ my Z28 before w/ mac mids and some bullets right off the hedders and had a lot of complements on the sound and it really woke it up, i already had a lid, ported tb, SLP bellow, and ASP pulley and it put 330rwhp down in that form w/ stock verter locked . Next for you, Id start saving for a few more bolt-ons like ported TB, UD pulley, LS6 intake etc which my guess would be about another $1000. You could stick w/ the bullets off the hedders or get an x-pipe for about $300-$400 bucks or a 3in ory w/ a hooker catback for bout $400 bucks. Then You should be ready for a cam package. My F11(228/230 .581/.591 114lsa) cam package which included dual springs, titanium retainers, harded pushrods, ported oil pump, installed and tuned from Futral i got this past summer ran me about $2100 out the door. I got 388 rwhp locked which aint to shabby for an automatic, bolt-ons i listed above, changed to an x-pipe, cam-only car and it was extremely streetable. Thats all IMHO. But there are so many streetable cams out there now a days makin a good bit over 400rwhp. All that i just wrote was,as i said before, was just IMHO! Im changing to an F13 or F14 w/ my new car and going with pace LT hedders over the mac mids. It should be still pretty streetable w/ 400+rwhp(verter locked) and hopefully 480rwhp w/ an NX 75shot. Anyway GOOD LUCK with your build and just have fun doin it!!!!!!!!!!!