PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mega squirt write up, long with lots of pic's. no more maf limit for me and cheap!!

Old 12-01-2004, 09:50 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default mega squirt write up, long with lots of pic's. no more maf limit for me and cheap!!

Megasquirt is a build it yourself pcm. It is inexpensive and has many features. In it’s most basic set up it controls fueling only using speed density calculations. It also has many other features that can be activated like spark control, nitrous control, fan control, fuel pump control, water injection control, wideband a/f targeting. The list is long.

I maxed out my maf last year sometime with a mostly stock 6.0 and have been adding fuel with the PE tables in edit. It works but is such a pain in the ***. I am on a pretty tight budget and have only been kind of looking at the after market stuff. It is all expensive. A buddy of mine was talking about this mega squirt and had put it on 4 other turbo cars all ready with success so I jump right on the mega bandwagon. Thanks for all your help Scott (dieselgeek).

The most basic set up is fuel only. First thing is you have to build a mega or buy one prebuilt. I will get more into that later. Once you have the mega built and a harness built you have to put it in the car/truck. The mega is a small metal case that you mount anywhere inside the car that will fit, it is best to put it somewhere you can get to it to take it back out incase you want to add features to it later. Then you plug in the harness and run the wires where they need to go. For fuel only there are 7 things you have to hook up. It took us about 4 hours to do a nice job with it on my truck. We installed new sensors for the intake air and the coolant rather than tap off the factory stuff.

1. One wire to a coolant temp sensor. You also have to ground the other side of the sensor out under the hood.
2. One wire to a intake air temp sensor. You also have to ground the other side of the sensor out under the hood.
3. Throttle pos sensor. For this one you just tap off the factory throttle position sensor.
4. 2 injector wires, you take one injector wire to 4 injectors, ground side only. Then the other injector wire to the other 4 injectors, ground side only.
5. Tach signal wire.
6. Power and ground wires.
7. Vacume line from intake to the mega.

http://www.neufamily.org/images/megapics/DSCN2137.JPG
http://www.neufamily.org/images/megapics/dscn2135.JPG
http://www.neufamily.org/images/megapics/DSCN2136.JPG

It was real easy to hook it all up. Now getting it to fire the first time was a little tricky. No one had any files for a ls1 so we were on our own. You tell mega what you size motor you are running and what size injectors you have an it helps with a couple of numbers but for the most part you have to come up with something that works. Luckily for you we did this all ready and you could start with our numbers and I bet it would fire about many motors. Here is the first screens you have to fill out to get it to start.

http://www.neufamily.org/images/mega...aconstants.jpg
http://www.neufamily.org/images/mega...nrichments.jpg

Before you try to fire it be sure to have a fire extinguisher on hand!! We didn’t get any backfires or anything but it took us about ½ hour of trying different things and cranking to get it to start and run.

Now for tuning! The fun part. It is soooo easy to tune with this thing. All corrections are on the fly (real time) . Change a number and see what it does, that easy. I have a wideband 02 sensor so it is easy. While it is warming up you adjust the warm up enrichments to where you want the 02 to read. You have to do the warm up over a couple of days. Then comes the VE table. You just look at what cell it is running in and then adjust the corners of the cell up or down to get the o2 where you want it.

http://www.neufamily.org/images/megapics/megave.jpg

We adjusted the cell we were idling in first then slowly revved it up into different cells and adjusted them. Then put it in drive and see where it goes and adjust, then rev it a little and adjust. At some point you have to go adjust the acceleration enrichments but we didn’t do much with them till after we got the VE table close.

Once we got it running and the ve’s set at idle we went for a spin. I putted around and did different things to get into more ve cells as Scott (dieselgeek) adjusted the ve’s we slowly got into higher kpa and rpm numbers as he clicked away. It didn’t take any more than an hour to completely fill in that map starting from scratch. We were making wot runs within an hour and the fueling was where we wanted it to be. So far we have tuned up to 6000rpm and 11psi. Only pump gas so far.

The wot stuff is super easy. The warm up is easy but you have to do it on a new day with the motor cold. The accel enrichment has been a little harder but still easy. We just drove around for a couple of hours trying different things and seeing where it seemed to need more or less fuel, we basically adjusted the accelerator pump till it drove nice.

We ran into a few snags along the way. First thing was getting my laptop to communicate with mega, I always have this problem with edit/efilive or anything it seems, not having a real serial port seems to cause conflicts. We also had a little trouble getting a good tach signal. The mega pulls down the factory signal too far for anything to work, we hooked in a “pull up circuit” and all is well now. The pull up circuit for this set up was nothing more than a 12v ign power running thru a 380ohm resistor hooked right up to the tack lead. Other small problems was not having the latest firmware and software. Loading the latest firmware and soft ware. The last bug we had to work thru appears to be a programming thing, thru test driving we found a spot where the injectors would just shot off for a sec at WOT, not a good thing. We figured out what conditions caused this. We had to rescale the ve table to not go over 100%, some kind of math error in the software that they now know about and will fix.

We are headed to the dyno on Saturday to really push my STOCK motor, just for fun. There may be more to add in the tuning information after we crank it up but so far it is running awesome and has been super easy to tune. The real time programming really speeds things up.

Long post huh, I should be done but I’m not . Couple of things left to talk about. How to build the thing and other features.

If you’re a build it yourself kind of guy the mega is really cheap. I am talking something like $240 for all the parts. I need Scott to post up on actual costs because he built mine. I would estimate including the 2 new sensors, all wiring and the mega there is less than $300 in parts. This includes the extra circuits to run low z injectors even. There are people selling these things on the internet prebuilt and Scott is thinking about getting set up to sell prebuilt ones as well. Right now he has sold several to people on the turbo probe boards and they are working out great. The hard part seems to be in the details, working thru the bugs like we did. If Scott sell prebuilt units they will all ready have the harness all made up with the “pull up circuit” wired in. probably send them out with my basic tune and the exact firmware and software I am running. That right there will save a lot of hassles. There is a good network of people out there running the mega and they all seem to want to help each other. Building something yourself and having it work it pretty cool. Here is the link to the mega web site >> http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html . I have found it kind of hard to find the information you need. All the info is there but not always easy to find.

Here are more pic’s of my mega.

http://www.neufamily.org/images/megapics/DSCN2139.JPG
http://www.neufamily.org/images/megapics/DSCN2140.JPG
http://www.neufamily.org/images/megapics/dscn2138.JPG
http://www.neufamily.org/images/megapics/DSCN2141.JPG

Other features. The basic mega pictured above needs a little more hardware if you want to add features. There is something called a fly back board that we don’t have in there yet and that lets us run the low z injectors, Scott has tried this on one car so far and it is running great. Some other features like fan control or fuel pump control are pretty simple, you need to add something like 3 components. So far we have added in fan control and it works exactly as advertised.

There is bad *** nitrous control set up that we just tried to hook up but it isn’t working exactly as we expected, we need to spend a little more time on that one. Right now it sends out a signal like a WOT switch and window switch which right there would save a few bucks but it is suppose to be able to add fuel with the injectors making for a pretty trick dry set up. I listed many of the features up top and we have not tested or wired up any of there other than the fans and to try the nitrous. We are also going to try and hook up the ignition control portion too. I have edit so it isn’t really needed but timing adjustments on the fly would be so nice. To hook up the ignition control you use a couple of parts off of a ford set up called EDIS. You have to adapt a crank wheel to the balancer somehow and a vr sensor, also a moduel under the hood that goes to the coil packs. From what I understand this adds about $140 worth of parts if you buy them all new. Many people goto the junk yard for them, I guess they are very stout and last forever.

Last edited by parish8; 12-01-2004 at 11:17 PM.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:50 PM
single digit dreamer

too long!! thats a first. here is the rest

Here are some screen shots that I think are cool.

http://www.neufamily.org/images/megapics/megatables.JPG
http://www.neufamily.org/images/mega...eganitrous.jpg
http://www.neufamily.org/images/megapics/megaspark.jpg
http://www.neufamily.org/images/megapics/megawater.jpg

that’s my mega write up, I will add more later as we add features. Oh yeah, the built in map goes up to 250kpa or about 22psi, I will be cranking up my boost on Saturday and we may even get to that 22psi. If you think you will be running more boost than that you can get a different map sensor, I think the next step up is 1000kpa. Not sure how many people have actually tried the higher map sensor though.

Jim
Old 12-01-2004, 10:06 PM
single digit dreamer

i forgot about the loging. you can log with it, the log viewer isn't as nice as efilive but it is prety cool still. you dont have to tune it real time, you can log and then look and tune and then relog to see how you did. the 3 things to look at here are the rpm, map and a/f ratio. you can see where you need to add or pull fuel and then goto your ve tables and make a few clicks. it is EASY!!

Old 12-01-2004, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that was MEGA long nice write up.....
Old 12-01-2004, 10:19 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very good, most of the stuff I knew already. As you and diesilegeek know I am very fond of this unit. I am open to learn as much as possible about it. So many cool features. I didn't knwo you could control water/meth, boost and nitrous with it though. Not to mention wideband capability. The thing is some people will shoot it down just because it is cheap too. Oh well. Way cool system that I will probibly end up using myself. Thanks for the great info guys. I will keep in touch with you and diesilegeek.

TJ
Old 12-01-2004, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, when I first saw it I thought it was an alternative tuning solution. It is very cool though.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice Parish, this looks to be a very simple to use set up. You wrote there are pre built units? I would like to know how much your buddy will do one for me. This looks to be a lot simpler than whats out there now and I really like that. PM me with some more info, maybe diesel can make me one exactly like yours..
J
Old 12-01-2004, 10:59 PM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow.... damn good work guys!!! I have my AFR where i want it now.. but throw some different air temp in there or more/less boost and it all goes to hell as you all know. IF you saw my PE table you would probably laugh.
Please tell me how i can get my hands on one of these. I don't trust myself to build it myself.... so I just need something that is as close to plug and play as possible.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So it uses one wire for 4 injectors? Does that mean it's like batch fire instead of sequential?
Old 12-02-2004, 12:00 AM
single digit dreamer

yes it is batch fire.

now that i think about it there is one wire for every 2 injectors, i need to go back and fix that. it does have 2 injector drivers and has the option to run your injectors in an alternating pattern (4 at a time).

seems like a lot of jump in and point the batch fire as a huge downfall, from what i have read on the subject the only thing sequential does for you is idle and part throttle emissions but i really dont know much about it. i can tell you my truck idles and drives like stock. smooth and quiet.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:22 AM
TECH Addict

I am very interested in this, not for my car but for another project. So there is a ve table, but is there also a power enrichment table, or a desired a/f ratio table or something like that? Or do you have to make the ve table do the power enrichment?
Old 12-02-2004, 12:31 AM
single digit dreamer

there is no power enrichment table. you just use the one table, that is one of the best things about it. there are 3 things on the ve table. boost, rpm and ve. on the lower boost(vacume) sections of the table you adjust to get your a/f around 14.7, then as the boost goes up you bring down the a/f ratio.

i have many hours in working on my a/f ratio with edit and it was never quite right where i wanted it. it couldnt be since i was tuning blind(no boost or temp corections). we have very little time tuning with mega and it is closer than i ever was with edit.

i forgot to mention i hooked my wideband into it also, that is why you can see it on the log. it wont run a wideband directly but it will conect directly to narrow band. i have the 0-5v output on my wideband controler hooked into the mega. it does have the ability to shoot for a desired a/f ratio but we haven't tried it yet so i can't say how well it works. i did try the 02 corection for part throttle and it was working but we didn't want it messing with us while tuning so we shut it off. i think it is best to not count on the targeting. get the ve table as close as you can and then maybe turn on the targeting for minor adjustments.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:52 AM
TECH Addict

Cool, thanks. So if you use the wideband, does it always shoot for a certain a/f ratio no matter where you are on the ve table, or can you have it adjust to 14.7 at lower loads and say 12:1 at higher loads?
Old 12-02-2004, 01:00 AM
single digit dreamer

there is a chart that looks just like the timing chart i posted where there is a boost on one axis and rpm on the other. then you enter the disired a/f ratio. like i said, we never tried this feature yet so i can't say how well it works.

i dont think you should even turn that on till the tune is real close with just the ve table. i dont even really see a need for it since the speed density calculations should adjust fuel for diferent temps and all of that. i am sure i will play with it sometime soon. have to get back to you on how well it works.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:32 AM
Banned

So my question to you is what is left that the PCM is doing? Do you have to shut everything off so it does not screw with it? How do you let the Mega take over then?

Rick
Old 12-02-2004, 01:38 AM
Banned

Sorry Jim, one more question. Can I use this on a Mustang also? I dont want to buy a **** load of expensive software to do this customers car. ITs a blower app also. So would it work?

Rick
Old 12-02-2004, 02:55 AM
12 Second Club

Wow.. very nice setup and the price is amazing.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice research id loved to see were this goes as im always interested in new tuning solutions cheap ones.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:17 AM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by Rick@Synergy
So my question to you is what is left that the PCM is doing? Do you have to shut everything off so it does not screw with it? How do you let the Mega take over then?

Rick
my stock pcm is doing everything it did before except fuel, i cliped the ground wire from each injector and other than that the stock pcm doesn't know anything. i am geting a injector circuit code but it is just a light.

i still have the mass air hooked up and on the truck that includes the stock IAT sensor. i am not sure what will happen when i unhook that but i dont plan on leaving it inthere forever. the stock pcm looks at load for line presures and timing. i am not sure if it will switch over to some kind of back up load calculaton if i unhook the maf. i will let you know on this one later too.

the mega should work on any car, the more odd the car the better it would be for one since there are likely no aftermarket solutions out there. once again if you try and keep the stock pcm to run some things there may be conflicts you have to figure out.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:00 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am going to give it a whirl on some of the 4.3l's too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: mega squirt write up, long with lots of pic's. no more maf limit for me and cheap!!