Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

would big cam and ported heads on stock tune

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default would big cam and ported heads on stock tune

would a big cam .591/.569 230/226 and fully ported heads with stock valves stock injectors and stock bottom end make it run crappy at more than half throttle but run great in park and reving up? if you still have stock tune on the pcm? trying to figure out what the problem is. Runs and sounds great at idle and reving up no misses. lopes good. but when driving it bogs when you try to take off fast or give it anymore than 1/4 throttle id this cause it needs to be tuned? thanks guys for any help
Old 12-01-2004, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Short answer - yes it should be tuned
Old 12-02-2004, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

That will make it run right and not like a slow stock 305? Is that my problem i havnt got it tuned?
Old 12-02-2004, 01:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by flippincamaro
would a big cam .591/.569 230/226 and fully ported heads with stock valves stock injectors and stock bottom end make it run crappy at more than half throttle but run great in park and reving up? if you still have stock tune on the pcm? trying to figure out what the problem is. Runs and sounds great at idle and reving up no misses. lopes good. but when driving it bogs when you try to take off fast or give it anymore than 1/4 throttle id this cause it needs to be tuned? thanks guys for any help
Is this the motor that had the pistons hitting the valves? If so, your valves are bent and and not sealing properly. Not trying to flame anybody, I still don't feel right about this. I mean I'm not sure if it has been rectified properly.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes this is the same engine but the guy that did my heads tore them down and check all the valves they were fine just a little scratch up on the edges. The motor sounds and runs great at idle and revs up fast no misses so i believe the guy that did my heads why would he lie about it when i was paying him to replace them if they were messed up. Most people would say they were just to get paid from me. he said they were fine. so that is all i can tell you on that. I can send you a pic of the pistons and the heads if youd like me to. I just wanted to know if it not being tuned could make it run like **** that is my ?
Old 12-02-2004, 03:49 PM
TECH Regular

yes this is the same engine but the guy that did my heads tore them down and check all the valves they were fine just a little scratch up on the edges. The motor sounds and runs great at idle and revs up fast no misses so i believe the guy that did my heads why would he lie about it when i was paying him to replace them if they were messed up. Most people would say they were just to get paid from me. he said they were fine. so that is all i can tell you on that. I can send you a pic of the pistons and the heads if youd like me to. I just wanted to know if it not being tuned could make it run like **** that is my ?

What is the LSA on the cam?
Old 12-02-2004, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

112 with zero advance on the xer's.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:55 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Flippin,
As a minimum you're probably very lean when you try to accelerate and put the engine under some load. With that kind of lift and duration on the cam and ported heads, the volumetric efficiency table has to be off quite a bit which makes your air:fuel ratio out of whack (lean). Now, your stock injectors might also not be able to keep up with the fuel required at anywhere near wide open throttle.

If you want to see if your valves are sealing (due to being bent or damaged in any other way) run a compression check.

Another question: During porting, did they just hawg out the bowls and ports? For instance, if the swirl dam is removed, the swirl and therefore fuel atomization is hurt also making for low power. Also, big ports (improperly done) mean slower velocity which means poor atomization.

The long and short of it is you need to get some logging done on your vehicle (like with EFILive or something similar) and a WBO2 to know what's going on.

Steve

PS
Where do you live in Tennessee. I'm from Cleveland, TN originally (near Chattanooga). I live in Kansas now.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I live in murfreesboro tn about 120 miles give or take from chattanoga. What is the swirl dam? on the intake or exhaust ports? thanks for all the help
Old 12-05-2004, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also what should the compression be on the minimum thanks
Old 12-06-2004, 01:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes you will need a tune and and english class.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:01 AM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Flippin,

I'll get back to you in the next day or so. I've found some fairly good pictures and an article on proper head porting by Joe Mondello (possibly the most knowledgable head porter in the country) on the LS1. I'll try to send it this evening.

Steve
Old 12-06-2004, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Steve for all the help yeah try to get that to me. Hey 2muchrice this forum is to help folks not talk **** if that was what you are doing im not trying to make my post perfect just letting people know the problem.