Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

What is the story if you get caught street racing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 03:18 AM
JSU
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the story if you get caught street racing?

I heard that if a cop catches you street racing they impound your car and crush it. Is this the case or an urban legend? If so what are the conditions?
Thanks Alot!
Old 12-03-2004, 03:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

if im not mistaken, i class B misdameanor, which means, you get a ticket/fine, they impound your car(they do not crush it), and you get a straight to jail pass... well that is how it is here in htown... bc htown is where all the bad asses race
Old 12-03-2004, 05:37 AM
sfj
TECH Enthusiast

yes you will go to jail i believe your car is impounded unless the cop lets the passanger (if you have one) drive it (which he prolly wont) they will not crush it they cant crush your car you payed for it, but they will however charge the @#%^% out of you for holding it while you eat some oscar mayer bologna in the slammer
Old 12-03-2004, 06:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

I feel bad for you all. Here in Maryland we get a ticket for participating in a speed contest and most of the people beat them unless that have video. I know a couple close friends who have taken their tickets to court with a lawyer and got off. Now if you go to a "hot spot' and the cops watch you place bets and plan the whole thing thats another story and youw ill go to jail and get fines till you cant breathe and your car gets impounded.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:54 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Crypt keeper
I feel bad for you all. Here in Maryland we get a ticket for participating in a speed contest and most of the people beat them unless that have video. I know a couple close friends who have taken their tickets to court with a lawyer and got off. Now if you go to a "hot spot' and the cops watch you place bets and plan the whole thing thats another story and youw ill go to jail and get fines till you cant breathe and your car gets impounded.
I agree, unless you are planning this, usually you get the 5 point ticket with the $500 fine for street racing. Happened to my friend a few years back. He got off with a lawyer but still had the fine.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:12 AM
JSU
Teching In

wow sounds like some serious stuff. How exactly would they define street racing? If you just do a 0-60 from a light (against someone) in a 50 zone they cant call that street racing can they?
Old 12-03-2004, 10:18 AM
TECH Junkie

All you have to do is blow the cop and he lets you go........
Old 12-03-2004, 10:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JSU
wow sounds like some serious stuff. How exactly would they define street racing? If you just do a 0-60 from a light (against someone) in a 50 zone they cant call that street racing can they?
They may get you for "excessive acceleration" or "improper display of power". Yes, those laws are in the books.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:21 AM
sfj
TECH Enthusiast

5 points and a 500$ fine
what is a point on a ticket?? do not have those in TX. all we have is tickets and trust me no one gets off on those racing charges here and i mean no one!
Old 12-03-2004, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

here its jail time, impounding and huge fines...oh kiss your *** and your insurance goodbye...but they do allow you to speed like hell on the interstate...WTF?
Old 12-03-2004, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

it's different state to state and even county to county.....down in detroit there is an area that not only impounds your car, but the only way you can get it back is by winning it back in an auction.......

one thing that is universal:
Originally Posted by titanium barchetta
All you have to do is blow the cop and he lets you go........
Old 12-03-2004, 10:29 AM
sfj
TECH Enthusiast

it's different state to state and even county to county.....down in detroit there is an area that not only impounds your car, but the only way you can get it back is by winning it back in an auction.......
maybe it is just me but if i am still paying for a car that gets sold in an auction i am not going to continue paying for it while someone else is driving the **** around because they won it in an auction and if i am missing something and am a bumb@$$ please feel free to inform me
Old 12-03-2004, 10:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Here... you get pulled over, dragged out of the car... read your miranda rights, and you get to take a nice ride in the back of a crown vic or impala...
Old 12-03-2004, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sfj
maybe it is just me but if i am still paying for a car that gets sold in an auction i am not going to continue paying for it while someone else is driving the **** around because they won it in an auction and if i am missing something and am a bumb@$$ please feel free to inform me
yeah, i think i'm gonna throw the b.s. flag on myself......a guy i know lives down there and said that's how they do it, and i know they've proposed some stiff laws, but the only mention i can find of it on the web is fom 2000, when they were proposing to impound cars for a year........
Old 12-03-2004, 11:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

hijacking thread... bad *** truck jdustu
Old 12-03-2004, 12:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MillaTK
Here... you get pulled over, dragged out of the car... read your miranda rights, and you get to take a nice ride in the back of a crown vic or impala...
yep.
along with watching them dig through every inch of your car while you can do nothing but sit and watch. Since it is a Felony here, the cops use that as probable cause to search your vehicle for anything else they might be able to extend your incarceration with.

An arrest for street racing here usually lands you a 2 day stay in county or up to a week in city before they will process your paperwork and let you see a judge. Typically, without some major influence, you have no hopes of getting out on bail/bonds before you see the judge, and the judges in texas are all for the death of streetracers.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Darkside
hijacking thread... bad *** truck jdustu
it's my brother in law's.....it's gonna be pretty sick....i posted about it a while back, we were hoping to have it running this summer, but the 408 was a mess before the turbo setup was done....so he's got a guy in minnesota building a new 408 with a mopar 3r block right now.....if everything goes good it'll be running this spring.....i just put that pic in my sig cuz that setup looks cool....at least cooler than anyhting i've got right now!

here's the link i put in the truck section, i'll update when it finally goes somewhere under it's own power
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...73#post1547173

Last edited by jdustu; 12-03-2004 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Needless to say, ive been caught street racing. I went up to 60 on a 55 and was classified as street racing. Spent the night in jail and got my truck impounded. Got out of jail the next morning (6 hours later) and went and took my truck out of the impound. Unfortunately, i have certain connections and had the ticket removed and didnt get sent to County.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:30 PM
TECH Junkie

here, it depends on the location and the car. Our cars will not get too much, but a ricer gets eaten alive by cops. Impound and a night is what we have i believe, although sometimes you just get a warning.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sfj
what is a point on a ticket?? do not have those in TX. all we have is tickets and trust me no one gets off on those racing charges here and i mean no one!

Yes we have points on our license's in TX............................................. thats only if you have any at fault accidents or tickets of any sort.

Quick Reply: What is the story if you get caught street racing?