Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cause of collapsed lifters

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cause of collapsed lifters

I am on my second cam for my vehicle and when the current cam was pulled out, there were signs of the lifters dragging. You can hear one of lifters ticking pretty bad until it warms up, then it quietens down some. I am getting ready to replace them so I would like to know what causes them to go bad so I can correct this and also what my choices are as far as what brand to replace them with. My current valvetrain setup consists of cammotion 221/221 .587/.587 112 lsa, Heads milled .030, 7.40" hardened pushrods, and stock rocker arms. This is for a 5.3 truck with the 5.3 heads.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

Is this a hard question? I have used the search button.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:26 PM
Restricted User

You forgot the springs being used, as this is kind of important part. If the seat/open pressure is too high it places to much force on the lifter internals, more friction = more wear. Also, low oil pressure, low oil level, and cold start take off's. Low oil pressure will wipe **** out quick! And having low oil, although the pressure looks good on a gauge, it starves internals also causing more friction, as would old oil that loses its ability to provide cooling and lubrication. Leave oil in too long and its really not doing its job, same with the filter being over contaminated it will eventually recycle the crud through the engine, not good. And lastly it could be simple as a bad machining job from factory (also knicking the cam on install hitting journals as you put it in, but this one less likely since you noted it was after pulling the stock cam out.)

Hell thats all I can think of.

good luck

Charlie
Old 12-05-2004, 07:34 AM
TECH Resident

I have comp 918's.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:36 PM
Restricted User

Welp, that shouldn't be the problem at all. Look into oil, degradation/viscosity/contamination as well as possible knicking of the cam on install. Was your other cam possibly a Z06 cam? If so maybe something to due with the smaller base circle, could be totally out in left field with this one, but really cant think of much else.

Quick Reply: cause of collapsed lifters