Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spohn solid motor mounts???

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spohn solid motor mounts???

I need the skinny, pros and cons if you will, to using the Spohn solid motor mounts.

Anyone out there used them or know anything about them?

Thanks.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thats what Fastech runs on their shop drag car, FWIW. Give them a call tomorrow if you can't find the info you need on the boards.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
Thats what Fastech runs on their shop drag car, FWIW. Give them a call tomorrow if you can't find the info you need on the boards.
Sometimes I don't understand the lingo... FWIW?
Old 12-05-2004, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jcarroll845
Sometimes I don't understand the lingo... FWIW?
FWIW = for what its worth.

this should help you out https://ls1tech.com/acronyms.html
Old 12-05-2004, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

OMFG! There's a thread for everything! LOL Thank you for the list... I'll save that one for ever. LOL I do have my moments sometimes.

Old 12-05-2004, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My experience:

I made a set of solid mounts, installed them, and let the car idle to check everything out (vibrations). I didn't take it for a spin because I had the rear out of the car at the time. The car shook a little with the cam that's in the motor now, but it wasn't much more than the poly's I've seen, and I'd say less than the car shook with factory mounts. I didn't really get the vibrations I expected to get, but there may be a smidge of drone @ certain engine speeds (harmonics). Mine weighed in @ around 7lbs together, which is far better than the 18.5lbs the factory mounts and pedistalls.

As long as you recognize that this type of a product is made for race applications for certain reasons, I'd recommend them. If this is for a road-coarse or street machine app., I'd also recommend a knock sensor desensitizer to keep any pot-holes from causing false KR. Though I don't know of anyone that's experienced this first hand, it can happen. In any case,
Old 12-05-2004, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NoseUp
My experience:

I made a set of solid mounts, installed them, and let the car idle to check everything out (vibrations). I didn't take it for a spin because I had the rear out of the car at the time. The car shook a little with the cam that's in the motor now, but it wasn't much more than the poly's I've seen, and I'd say less than the car shook with factory mounts. I didn't really get the vibrations I expected to get, but there may be a smidge of drone @ certain engine speeds (harmonics). Mine weighed in @ around 7lbs together, which is far better than the 18.5lbs the factory mounts and pedistalls.

As long as you recognize that this type of a product is made for race applications for certain reasons, I'd recommend them. If this is for a road-coarse or street machine app., I'd also recommend a knock sensor desensitizer to keep any pot-holes from causing false KR. Though I don't know of anyone that's experienced this first hand, it can happen. In any case,
Interesting. Thank you for the info.

Anyone else?
Old 12-05-2004, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not use poly mounts?
Old 12-05-2004, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
Why not use poly mounts?
That's exactly what I'm trying to find out. I'm trying to decide which set up is better for my application. I'm hoping that I can make a more informed decision if I know the pros and cons first.

<It's 10:45pm here... time for a Guinness! -->
Old 12-05-2004, 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

go for poly. its the best option for a car unless you're aiming for pure race duties. i'm goin for poly, and my car, suspension especially, is getting tuned for street duty. as opposed to 90% of the cars on here.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, so far everything I've bought has been poly, not spherical rod ends or hard mounts. It's just that there was some mention of needing "torque straps" to prevent linkage binding unless you go with the solid mount. I don't know at what hp and tq range you would start to experience this problem and need torque straps. That's really the reason I was looking at solids.

Can you tell me more (or link me to a thread) on needing torque straps or experiencing linkage binding? I'm not pulling up any good info.

Thanks.
John