Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 Degrees advance ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 04:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Degrees advance ?

I currently have the c.c.212/218 cam that comes with 4 degrees built in advance. I know that having such brings the v.e. on earlier but in tuning after the install I was capable and needing to add up to 8 degrees all the way to the 4000 rpm mark with no k.r. Also somewhat comparing another forum member has somewhat of a more radical cam (more duration,lift,overlap) and runs very well with stock programming. Any input
or enlightening as to why I was capable of adding this amount of timing(using ls1 edit)??? I was hoping I would find it in the cam discussion and /or if I did
it went way over my head.
Old 12-05-2004, 04:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Rays C5
I currently have the c.c.212/218 cam that comes with 4 degrees built in advance. I know that having such brings the v.e. on earlier but in tuning after the install I was capable and needing to add up to 8 degrees all the way to the 4000 rpm mark with no k.r. Also somewhat comparing another forum member has somewhat of a more radical cam (more duration,lift,overlap) and runs very well with stock programming. Any input
or enlightening as to why I was capable of adding this amount of timing(using ls1 edit)??? I was hoping I would find it in the cam discussion and /or if I did
it went way over my head.
Your cam is very mild so I am a bit surprised that it took so much additional timing. However added timing is very helpful at cruise, idle and off idle situation since the more radical cam has more duration and bleeds off cylinder pressure more readily. The additional timing rebuilds that cylinder pressure.

I have added a bit of timing at idle and off idle for my TR224. But only about 3 deg. Hence I am 27-32 degrees idle and off idle.

Perry
Old 12-05-2004, 06:15 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks Perry. It kust strikes me odd to add so much advance to such a mild cam and from what I've heard the ls1 head does not usually like so much advance. Anymore input??
Old 12-05-2004, 07:26 PM
TECH Regular

What are your advance numbers (particularly at low load .26-.40 gm/s and low rpm)?

If you are much over 30-32 that is high but won't hurt anything if you aren't getting KR. I had no problem with KR at low rpm but low load, low rpm cruise (.4-.6 gm/s and 1600-2500, I had knock problems) So no harm no foul.

Perry