Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coated or uncoated headers? also ?'s on x pipe

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coated or uncoated headers? also ?'s on x pipe

lookin at flowtech or pace setter headers.. lol mom surprised me today and told me i can spend about 500$ on the car for xmas... about 450 for acutal parts with 50 allowed for shipping

so flowtech coated or uncoated...
and also what x pipe to get with these.. i want to dump it off underneath the car with bullet mufflers and i guess turndowns.. i have a cutout tho now and i want it to be loud and sound good.. dont want it to be quieter..

i can proly get the complete setup if i go uncoated and get a ory pipe?

what do u guys think?
Old 12-05-2004, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I say skip the flowtechs and go with pacesetters, I love mine and after looking at my friends flowtechs I would have to say pacesetters are a bit better quality while probley making about the same power. I can't help you on the x-pipe deal, I run a pacesetter y-pipe(crap) and random technology catback.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

hmm u say the pace setter y pipe is crap?? why so? any install fitment problems? any soundclips?
Old 12-05-2004, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Install fitment is horrible, I couldn't even get the thing on and if you do research you will find that many people dislike it also. The only soundclip I have of my car is without the pacesetter system it is just my catback so i'm not sure that it would help you any in your decision, lol. Bullet mufflers and dumps will sound great and really racey though, I think they may be my next exhaust setup.

Derek
Old 12-07-2004, 02:25 AM
11 Second Club

Ive got pacesetter coated headers from TSP. I would get coated headers. It is a pain to sand offf the paint that comes on non coated headers too spray some decent high heat header paint on them. A buddy of mine sprayed over that paint witout sanding it down and it started to crack and rust.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also got coated pacesetters for my TA so i give you a vote for coated pacesetters from TSP or Speed Inc. and then save for a TSP x-pipe. U'll like it much better than a y-pipe setup IMHO
Old 12-07-2004, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

definitely go for coated pacesetters. quality and longevity are much better. the pacesetter y-pipe leaves something to be determined from what i've heard, but you'll be ok. uncoated headers on a daily driver = bad idea.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:47 AM
12 Second Club

Yea I heard the Flowtech's are junk, I'd go with the coated pacesetter's, also TSP has a catted Y for use with the pacesetters. I'd also look into the Edelbrock Victor Series LT's which are stepped and are only $380 from Jeg's, but you have to buy the Y-pipe seperate, and they are just painted with high temp paint, not coated.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redrocketls1
and also what x pipe to get with these.. i want to dump it off underneath the car with bullet mufflers and i guess turndowns.. i have a cutout tho now and i want it to be loud and sound good.. dont want it to be quieter..
Dude, I ran open cutout on Hooker LT's for two months...switched to TSP true duals and it quieted the car down. Granted, the tone is waaaaay deeper now, but can't compare to the pitch of open cutout at WOT. Open cutout was louder, but the duals sound better.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't get the flowtechs. I had them on my car and ditched them this weekend. We installed a set of Pacesetters on a buddies car and they are much better. The flanges, welds, and collectors are 10x better. Take this from experience. I am in the process of swaping out to Kooks.