Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quick question on a part name..

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 07:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick question on a part name..

the selenoid that controls the torque converter lockup clutch? is it the pressure control selenoid? gmpartsdirect.com only has 2 selenoids listed and one is pressure control, one is shift control so im guessing it has to be it .

the gm part # is 24220158 on gmpartsdirect.com if anybody cares to take a look at it and tell me if that is the part.

thanks in advance.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:03 PM
10 Second Club

ok- you don't happen to have a gm part# and where this is located in the trans do you? sorry but i wouldn't trust some off brand- i may as well keep gm parts in the gm transmission.

thanks though.

anybody else?
Old 12-05-2004, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are two solenoids in the transmission(4L60E '96 & up) that directly control torque converter clutch(TCC)operation.One is simply the torque converter clutch solenoid,sometimes called the torque converter clutch enable solenoid.It mounts directly into the pump,and is held in by two 10mm headed bolts which thread into the case.It can be accessed by removing the transmission pan,and the vavle body will have to be removed to get the tcc pwm solenoid out of its way.The other is the torque converter clutch pulse width modulation solenoid which mounts into the vavle body itself(directly under the tcc solenoid on the pass. side front corner of the vavle body),and is held in by a retaining clip.The vavle body must be removed to uninstall the clip.

Last edited by IMKMFAST; 12-05-2004 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:39 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The valve body doesn't have to be removed to take either of these solinoids out.
The TCC aka lock up solinoid is in the pump held on by two bolts, the PWM aka pulse width modulation solinoid is the one right under it, it's clip is inserted through the bottom of the VB so it can be changed without removing the VB.

You know who has the part# and probably the part? The GM parts department.
I looked it up on gmpartsdirect and found it, couldn't find out the price or how to order it though.
So which one is bad?
Old 12-06-2004, 01:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jxaxsxoxn-you're right about the clips....I'm workin late..and had a brain fart.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:08 PM
10 Second Club

thanks guys. im taking the valve body off to have it inspected (the tcc valve, or so im going to call it- im not sure if my transgo kit came with the replacement and i can't remember if i put it in so im gonna have a trans builder inspect the valve & the bore). hopefully the guy inspecting it has access to these parts.

also im going to try replacing the lockup selenoid.

Last edited by sleeperstyle; 12-06-2004 at 04:14 PM.