Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator pulley? Yes or No

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator pulley? Yes or No

I had it on my car prior to h/c & programming. With a h/c car and custom tuning, do the problems with the low charge and the car dying begin to go away, or do they get worse? Thinking about putting mine back on if the bad things about it aren't so bad anymore.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 12-06-2004, 09:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I had problems on my car. Have to recommend trash can here but it is my .02
Old 12-06-2004, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhosYourDaddy
I had it on my car prior to h/c & programming. With a h/c car and custom tuning, do the problems with the low charge and the car dying begin to go away, or do they get worse? Thinking about putting mine back on if the bad things about it aren't so bad anymore.

Thanks,
Kevin
Are you saying that when you had stock internals, your voltage would drop down low enough for the car to stall? Do you have a big stereo system or anything unusual drawing on the system?
Old 12-06-2004, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jcarroll845
Are you saying that when you had stock internals, your voltage would drop down low enough for the car to stall? Do you have a big stereo system or anything unusual drawing on the system?
Stock stereo w/ 2 blown speakers.
The car never actually stalled, but it would drop down low enough that it wouldn't crank when I got back in and tried to start it. I would also NEVER leave the car to idle for more than 2 minutes because of how low the voltage would get, so it is completely possible that it might have died on its own. I'm just woundering if it might be any different w/ a tuning program. Since I have h/c now, it might also be different. (either to the good or the bad... ?)
Old 12-06-2004, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

IIRC full charge with the alternator pull and crank pully happens at 950, so I wouldnt recomend it if your car idles less that that, or maybe even 1k.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stang killer
IIRC full charge with the alternator pull and crank pully happens at 950, so I wouldnt recomend it if your car idles less that that, or maybe even 1k.
My car idles right around 950 - 1100 (think my tach is off a bit???) Does h/c effect how much the car will charge at an idle? My cam is on a 114, but it's an X3, so it sounds like it's about to die anyway. The cahrge appears to be fine, but I don't want to find out otherwise once I put the pulley back on my car.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:39 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhosYourDaddy
Alternator pulley? Yes or No
I'd say no.