Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuner or EFI Live

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP Tuner or EFI Live

I've done all the searches, but can't find the answer to my question. I have yet to do any programming myself, but I am very excited about starting to do it myself. The question is...

With being new to doing my own tuning & diagnostics, what will be the best program to start with? HP vs EFI7?

I'm looking for which one will be easier to work with, but don't want to be restricted by limitations and have to rely on someone else. My tuner has HP Tuner so worst case I can go back to him and get him to touch up my mistakes, or adjust something I can't get to if I go with EFI, but I want to do it all myself. I would call the manufacturers, but at this point in the game, I don't know enough and everything they said would bee Greek to me. In my shoes, what would you do?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 12-06-2004, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call the manufacturers? LOL do any of them have phone numbers listed?

I haven't used the EFI one yet, I do like thier older scanner, had lots of good features. HP has a good bang/buck if you have friends with the same year car.

Ryan
Old 12-06-2004, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm in the same delema, I dont Know what to do yet. I want to ether trade my LS1 edit and EFI Live Pro for HP tuners or keep the EFI Live and trade in the Edit for the Fash scan or trade in my edit and buy HP tuners and also keep my EFI live and up grade to flash scan and keep the best of the two or maybe keep both
Old 12-06-2004, 11:19 PM
TECH Junkie

I am in the same delima LB. I am going to trade in my edit for tuners and then my EFI Live for FlashScan so I can have both. I see advantages for both in my situtation.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Also, I have used Edit, HP Tuners, and messed around with the eval version of FlashScan. Edit isn't even a choice anymore IMO. HPT is nice to tune the car, but I still will use EFI LIve to monitor it. EFi Live have more possibilities when it comes to loging then HPT. FlashScan will be the **** when it is released. It has a easier to use interface with more features that I have seen the HPT does.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

HP Tuners:
- Offers you a cable with 4 inputs and 2 outputs
- Frequently updates their software
- Supports 6 cylinder vehicles as well
- Sponsors this forum and posts actively
- Will soon offer 2bar and 3bar MAP support.
- Supports the most GM vehicles
- Hosts a very active tuning forum
- Is actively working on new products and software.

Just a short list.

- Keith, HP Tuners
Old 12-06-2004, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Magnus
HP Tuners:
- Offers you a cable with 4 inputs and 2 outputs
- Frequently updates their software
- Supports 6 cylinder vehicles as well
- Sponsors this forum and posts actively
- Will soon offer 2bar and 3bar MAP support.
- Supports the most GM vehicles
- Hosts a very active tuning forum
- Is actively working on new products and software.

Just a short list.

- Keith, HP Tuners
But what can you do that EFI can't?
Old 12-06-2004, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd have to say hptuners! I can say nothing but good things about their product and especially their service. I've sent an email at like 1 in the morning on a weekend and within a few hours they replied and got my problem fixed. I've never had it take longer than like 6 hrs to get a response back from em. GREAT service!
Old 12-07-2004, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I do like the histogram funcion, A tuning methode and costomer support that HP tuners has but EFI Live is real nice too. I know what to do,I'm gonna have my cake and eat it too. I'm selling my Edit for HP tuners and Keeping my EFI Live Pro/Auto tap scanner then upgrade to Flash scan. I'm glad I read this thread, I't helped me make up my mind.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

I made the switch from EFIlive to HPT and am very happy i did, they offer great product support, software and hardware improvemnts.

i liked the logging of efilive a little better, but HPT will do what i need it to do, also have logged yet with version 1.5 so maybe its improved.

go with hpt for sure.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:34 AM
FormerVendor

I am doing both I have HPTuners allready and I also have EFILive so I will be upgrading when the cable becomes availiable. Both packages have their plusses and minuses pick which one suits you best and have at it
Old 12-07-2004, 11:11 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im in the same boat as the original poster. I have been using the predator with mail order tuning. I bought a laptop over the weekend now i want to buy a wideband and a tuner scanning suite. I think the real truth of the matter is that even if I pick the wrong one I will have a great tuning scanner package I wont be doing any tuning for a while so I think Im going to set back and hope for some deals during the winter
Old 12-07-2004, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

Talking

I am in the same shape as many here. I am currently using LS1Edit and EFILive Pro. I like EFILive for logging so I am going to upgrade to FlaskScan. Now do I want to trade in my LS1Edit for HPTuners--more money?????

Bill
Old 12-07-2004, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I't will be nice not Blowing pcm's any longer with Edit, That will be two PCM's so far. Now I can't wait for my HP tuners.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:38 PM
Staging Lane

So EFILive is better for diagnostics and HPTuner is better for the actual tuning? Is this correct?
Old 12-07-2004, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhosYourDaddy
But what can you do that EFI can't?
Quite frankly, there is no point asking these sort of questions on THIS forum, go the the EFILive web site, after the various discussions on this forum regarding this anyone would think we are living in communist Russia.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

nobody really has much feedback on what efilive has.

I'm sure its similar to hptuners, as they knew what they needed to compete against when it came out. Different license structure, and a good name/scanner.

Once more people buy it, there will be more info out.

Ryan
Old 12-07-2004, 08:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

i would assume the software is very similar, but it seems as if hptuners has stayed leaps & bounds ahead of everyone else...efi live was coming out with affordable additional vehicles so hptuners cuts prices in 1/2 or more in some cases. Efi live was coming out with inputs & outputs on their unit so hptuners did and had more of each giving even more flexability. Hptuners has their own forum which they frequent, downloads for new vehicles come online and very quickly and they just keep adding on and adding on, every week theres a new update for people...1.5 came out just a few short weeks back and they are on 1.5.2 now and are reportedly coming out with 1.6 within the next 3 weeks which according to them will have a self sufficient type tuning process...not sure what that entails but it sure sounds easier then what weve all been doing Ive been using the product for 6 months now and would do it again in a second easily this has been my best mod to the car/cars. And with pricing so low ive been able to make a few $ on the side tuning others in the meantime. If your doing 1 car id say its a toss up but hptuners still having a slight advantage, but if you want to tune multiple cars & plan on making extra money on the side I cant see you going wrong with hptuners seeing as you dont have to buy vin licenses and you buy a whole year worth of cars/trucks.

lata
Bill
Old 12-08-2004, 12:36 AM
Staging Lane

Hey guys... i got my efilive unit today... and the reality is that there is no other v8 tuner out there that can simply match the quality of these guys...

The flashscan unit is simply awesome with the best pricing available and the best customer support i've ever seen...

i can post some pics if interested.... TOP NOTCH UNIT!
Old 12-08-2004, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Talking

Originally Posted by The highlander
Hey guys... i got my efilive unit today... and the reality is that there is no other v8 tuner out there that can simply match the quality of these guys...

The flashscan unit is simply awesome with the best pricing available and the best customer support i've ever seen...

i can post some pics if interested.... TOP NOTCH UNIT!
I did not think they were releasing it until Jan...

Post pictures..

Bill

Quick Reply: HP Tuner or EFI Live