Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

2.73 to 3.42 done. What tires now

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 09:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2.73 to 3.42 done. What tires now

I just finished installing a 3.42 rear into my originally geared 2.73 TA. All I can say first is WOW. This thing is a whole different animal now. I also have the Vinci handheld Tranny performance mode installed and shift enhancement on. It is quite chilly here now and when I took it out to test it I got very little traction. When it shifts to second the whole rearend goes out on me. I have Yokahoma AVS ES100s that are pretty new but is it the weather that causes alot of this no-traction issue? Do Nitto and BFGoodrich tires prevent this from happening at the track. I will be taking it to the track the first day they reopen and want to be able to hook from the line and be sure that the shift to second doesnt throw me sideways. I also may need to tone down the shift enhancement but man is the fun factor upgraded with it on.
What tires should I get for my 16" original TA wheels to put on for track runs?
Old 12-07-2004, 06:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

yea gears wake this cars up big time..i went with 3.73's though now that was a wake up. As far as tires for your mods a good set of drag radials would be fine, nitto, bfg, i think even thompson makes some nice ones now?

FYI . I tried et streets on my car and without a stall i actually went slower, taller tire slowed me down... drag radials are the happy medium
Old 12-07-2004, 06:48 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could you guys give me a lil insight on the 2.73 to a 3.42 ratio rearend swap? if im not mistaken the 2.73 is a series 2 carrier needing a series 2 3.42 gears am i right? if so, wheres a good place to buy a set of gears and where might be a good place to get them installed besides your local rip-off auto center? thanks

also, would i need a PCM update?
Old 12-07-2004, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

I have 2.73s and really want to swap in some 3.42s. I think I'm going to go with the Thunderracing package.

Good to hear you like the new gears! I think that the main reason is because of the weather, but you'll definitely have less traction all-around and even in good weather.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

your correct you need a 2 series carrier if you stick with your stocker, i personally got a new 3 series carrier. I had my performance shop install them, not in your area so i couldnt recommend anyone for you. Yes you need a pcm update to fix your speedo and shifting if you have an auto.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:46 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nikon1999
your correct you need a 2 series carrier if you stick with your stocker, i personally got a new 3 series carrier. I had my performance shop install them, not in your area so i couldnt recommend anyone for you. Yes you need a pcm update to fix your speedo and shifting if you have an auto.
thanks.

i was also thinkin bout purchasing the thunderracing package.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:33 AM
12 Second Club

I actually found it easier to get a whole rearend. I bought one from a guy here that was upgrading his 6 speed. It had everything, backing plates, TA cover, ABS, and no traction control. There are always rears for sale on here and other boards. I also purchased 3.73s for my 2 series carrier from Thunder and am going to have them installed in case this one goes . I really wanted 3.73s but it was way easier to drop a rear and put another in than do gears. I am trying to find someone very knowledgable about gear swaps before I let just anyone do it. I have heard cars with gear whine and it sounds horrible.