Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

open headers on stock ls1?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default open headers on stock ls1?

okay i need someone who actually knows rather open headers (lt's) would be better on a stock ls1 motor then say a tru dual setup with an x and bullets or a off road y pipe setup ect... i dont believe they would be at all.. i believe i could and would lose power vs like a x pipe with bullets and turndowns before the rear axle.. what do ya'll think.. got a nice lil debate going with a family member on this one.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/245907-1-foot-header-extension-12-bullet-off-each.html
Old 12-07-2004, 11:55 AM
10 Second Club

Well, I always take my true duals off at the track and run header extensions. The car does run quicker and my MPH is always up but I don't have a really nice merge X like the Dr. Gas. I think with a Dr. Gas merge I could run just as quick as I do with the open headers, not sure how my MPH would be affected. Open headers will also kill low end torque, on the street with the extensions the car is a total bone. I think a bolt on ls1 motor would run quicker with a nice set of duals just because of the torque you should gain in the mid RPM range. Although I got to admit it is kind of fun. Quick nitrous run on the street with open headers scares the hell out of people.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
Well, I always take my true duals off at the track and run header extensions. The car does run quicker and my MPH is always up but I don't have a really nice merge X like the Dr. Gas. I think with a Dr. Gas merge I could run just as quick as I do with the open headers, not sure how my MPH would be affected. Open headers will also kill low end torque, on the street with the extensions the car is a total bone. I think a bolt on ls1 motor would run quicker with a nice set of duals just because of the torque you should gain in the mid RPM range. Although I got to admit it is kind of fun. Quick nitrous run on the street with open headers scares the hell out of people.
Is that much trouble to take them off?

n/m I forgot for a second true duels dont go over the axle.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:32 PM
10 Second Club

Nothing to it, but I go through a ton of band clamps.

Quick Reply: open headers on stock ls1?