Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Who painted their wheels black??

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 07:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who painted their wheels black??

Hello, what kind of paint did you use? How did you prep the wheels?
Old 12-09-2004, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I recommend powder coating them. They'll last a hell of lot longer than spray paint. Don't shop around for the cheapest prices (you get what you pay for), look around for quality.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah powdercoat is the way to go.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

i've got powdercoated
Old 12-09-2004, 11:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by joeformula
I recommend powder coating them. They'll last a hell of lot longer than spray paint. Don't shop around for the cheapest prices (you get what you pay for), look around for quality.
Agreed. I did that (twice) and never could get it right. Don't make the same mistake I did. I'm replacing them with chrome Z06's soon because I'm tired of screwing with them.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you prep them, and clearcoat them properly, you will not have any problems with them. It's just like your car. Do you have to powdercoat it? I know powdercoat is strong, but paint is cheap. I used some German automotive paint, with compatible primer and clearcoat. Clearcoat is what makes or breaks the paint job. If you don't clearcoat them, they will be more prone to scratching and damage.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Send a pm to Bad Black SS I think he is the one who painted them black.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did mine scuffed rim,taped,prime,paint,clear takes a while to do just got price to powder coat 200 for all 4
Old 12-12-2004, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

As long as the surface prep is good the paint will adhere more.

$200 for the set is a good deal. Is that with a polished lip too?
Old 12-12-2004, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have painted several sets of wheels. Yea,,, powder coating is better but it will chip just like paint also. Ever seen chrome wheels where the chrome was scratched off around the lip of the wheel from mounting tires??? If chrome will chip,,,, any coating will. If you have a air supply and a detail gun,,,, do it yourself with automotive paint. You can paint all four wheels for what it would cost to powdercoat one wheel.

If you don't have the tools or gumption to do it yourself,,,, just take them to any automotive painter. I actually like single stage urathane better than two stage clear coat. I've done both,,, I've even spray bombed a few sets. If you do your prep right,, spray bombs even work decently. When it get chipped up,,,, scuff the wheels up and spray again.

One thing I've learned is that polished aluminium really needs to be bead blasted in order for the paint to stick well. I once tried painting a set of polished wheels, I prepped them by sanding with 320 wet/dry and I primed with a etching primer,,, dern things still chip easier than I like. Chome is a pain in the rear too,,,, bead blast them real good before painting.

I painted the wheels on my Firehawk with PPG Concept brand urathane two years ago. Yep, there are a few chips here and there where the tires guys get a bit careless but you will get the same thing with powdercoated wheels {got a set of powdercoated steels wheels on my 4X4}. I don't have any pics of the wheels by themselves buy my cardomain page has a few pics of my car with the painted wheels, check em out. Link is in the sig..
Old 12-13-2004, 07:39 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Judd
I have painted several sets of wheels. Yea,,, powder coating is better but it will chip just like paint also. Ever seen chrome wheels where the chrome was scratched off around the lip of the wheel from mounting tires??? If chrome will chip,,,, any coating will. If you have a air supply and a detail gun,,,, do it yourself with automotive paint. You can paint all four wheels for what it would cost to powdercoat one wheel.

If you don't have the tools or gumption to do it yourself,,,, just take them to any automotive painter. I actually like single stage urathane better than two stage clear coat. I've done both,,, I've even spray bombed a few sets. If you do your prep right,, spray bombs even work decently. When it get chipped up,,,, scuff the wheels up and spray again.

One thing I've learned is that polished aluminium really needs to be bead blasted in order for the paint to stick well. I once tried painting a set of polished wheels, I prepped them by sanding with 320 wet/dry and I primed with a etching primer,,, dern things still chip easier than I like. Chome is a pain in the rear too,,,, bead blast them real good before painting.

I painted the wheels on my Firehawk with PPG Concept brand urathane two years ago. Yep, there are a few chips here and there where the tires guys get a bit careless but you will get the same thing with powdercoated wheels {got a set of powdercoated steels wheels on my 4X4}. I don't have any pics of the wheels by themselves buy my cardomain page has a few pics of my car with the painted wheels, check em out. Link is in the sig..
I want to paint some chrome wheels? How do you bead blast them
Old 12-13-2004, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Honestly,,, I think you should either try to trade the chrome wheels or sell them. Paint just doesn't stick all that well to chrome. If you are dead set on painting the chrome wheels,,,, take the wheels to your nearest sand blaster or maybe a machine shop that bead blasts pistins and stuff. I like the surface finish of bead blasting over sand blasting but the local sand blaster might be able to blast all the chrome off,,, get down to the aluminium,,, that would be the best. Make sure to use an epoxy or a self etching primer before painting the wheels.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2_wacko
Send a pm to Bad Black SS I think he is the one who painted them black.
Correction * i painted mine Gunmedal it only took me 1-2 hours all wheels
Step 1 - Taped,and Wetsand what i only wanted to paint
Step 2 - Sprayed once(let dry),Sprayed Twice so everything would be even
Step 3 - Let them dry and mounted them back on havent had no problems what so ever
*PICS*

Old 12-13-2004, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

I had my Tahoe wheels powdercoated gray over chrome 2 months ago and dont have a problem with them.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:43 PM
TECH Addict

I dont agree. If powder coating is done right, it is ALOT more durable than paint. It shouldn't chip like paint does if the person/place doing it would have taken the time to do it right. It doesn't matter how good the prep is, paint won't be anywhere close to being as durable as powder coating.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I had my welds powdercoated. No probs yet.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by joeformula
I dont agree. If powder coating is done right, it is ALOT more durable than paint. It shouldn't chip like paint does if the person/place doing it would have taken the time to do it right. It doesn't matter how good the prep is, paint won't be anywhere close to being as durable as powder coating.

What part are you disagreeing with me on??? Never said that powder coating was not more durable than paint. I did however say that powder coated wheels will chip,,,,, just like any coating. If you are disagreeing with me on that then,,,, welp,,, I reckon we do disagree then.

Also, want to clarify that when I said chrome was hard to paint over. I was referring to painting them not powder coating. You can paint over chrome,,, it's just hard to get it to last well.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Powdercoat will definitely chip.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

What part are you disagreeing with me on??? Never said that powder coating was not more durable than paint. I did however say that powder coated wheels will chip,,,,, just like any coating. If you are disagreeing with me on that then,,,, welp,,, I reckon we do disagree then.

Also, want to clarify that when I said chrome was hard to paint over. I was referring to painting them not powder coating. You can paint over chrome,,, it's just hard to get it to last well.
Oops, I misread your post, my bad
Old 10-08-2005, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

bad black ss--what kind of paint did you use?