Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aluminum or stainless steel

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 12:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aluminum or stainless steel

hey everyone,

I am about to purchase a new muffler from a member. I am debating on just having a muffler shop weld up a system to bolt it in for 40-60 bucks or I called SLP and they quoted me around 150 dollars for the intermediate pipe and over the axle pipe, but it is stainless.

Any other suggestions

thanks in advance
Old 12-09-2004, 07:18 PM
12 Second Club

The cheap pipe is actually aluminized steel. I would go with that instead of the stainless, unless you plan on having mirrors under your car at shows.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

go stainless
Old 12-09-2004, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

It depends on how long you plan on keeping it. If you think you will only keep the car a few years, or if you are going to keep the car replace the exhaust system again, then get aluminized steel. If you are going to keep the car with this exhaust for a long time, get stainless.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Another_User
It depends on how long you plan on keeping it. If you think you will only keep the car a few years, or if you are going to keep the car replace the exhaust system again, then get aluminized steel. If you are going to keep the car with this exhaust for a long time, get stainless.
what he said
do you drive in the frozzzen north with salt on the roads
Old 12-09-2004, 10:52 PM
Launching!

thx for the input, I think i am going with the aluminized steel b/c most likely when i get out of pharmacy school I am going to strip everything and start all over to make it an all out race car. For now, i just want something quiet so i dont have to keep replacing these speakers, but loud when the cutout is open.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lucian
thx for the input, I think i am going with the aluminized steel b/c most likely when i get out of pharmacy school I am going to strip everything and start all over to make it an all out race car. For now, i just want something quiet so i dont have to keep replacing these speakers, but loud when the cutout is open.
I would get one fabed up too. but i would leave the cut-out opened all the time if it were me.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Lucian
when i get out of pharmacy school
pharmacy is not easy my room mate in college was in it, I did not want his classes. good luck.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fredv
pharmacy is not easy my room mate in college was in it, I did not want his classes. good luck.
thx

it is definately not a walk in the park, it is not really hard though, just a lot of information. I am constantly studying, but i have a problem with always reading the forums, so i try to print out my notes and put the laptop up...lol