Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about running rich after header install?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about running rich after header install?

Im thinking about installing my headers and true duals over Christmas Break. I am already running a little rich right now I cant remember the AFR's though. So my question is, is it okay to install the headers and TD's without a tune? I want to wait to get my car tuned over the summer when I install my cam. So am I putting my engine / plugs in any danger? Should I just play it safe and install my cam, headers, TD's at the same time this summer and have it tuned shortly after?

I have 1 3/4in headers and 3in true duals if it makes a difference.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

I did the same thing installed headers and 6 months later did cam and tune. the car ran just fine.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be fine. Just make sure that you have a spare set of spark plugs in case you foul your current ones. I'd also look around and try and pick up a spare set of O2s. Just to be on the safe side.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

A rich condition, as stated above, will really only cause plugs to foul and potentially coat the O2's.....no biggie, you'll be just fine only loosing some HP due to the rich condition.
The thing you REALLY want to watch is when you get it tuned:
A rich condition can cost you some HP
A lean condition can cost you an engine
Old 12-09-2004, 10:44 PM
9 Second Club

I was really worried about this before my mods. I read tons of threads about running rich/lean after mods. I installed the following all at once: mti lid, asp u/d pulley, qtp headers, tsp true duals & tr 224 cam. I hooked up a LM-1 wide band and my AFRs are perfect as far as I understand. At wot @3k rpm it is 12.8 & peaks out at 13.0 at 6k. This is on the street. The car is absolutely insane almost lost control in third gear tonight, gets great gas mileage etc. It's runs around high 14's to low 15's AFR while cruising. So I don't know if I'm just lucky or what It's still perfect after 1k miles since mods. So who knows how yours will react.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:39 PM
11 Second Club

I got my headers 1.5 years ago and will just be getting it tuned in the next coupe months when I FINALLY get a cam. I wouldn't recommend waiting that long because it's probalby worth the money for the tune at that point, but it shouldn't hurt a thing.

Last edited by blkZ28spt; 12-09-2004 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:37 AM
12 Second Club

You could always pick up a used MAFT for $75-100 if you have a way to log LTFT's. I just installed LT's/ORY a few weeks ago, and have got my LTFT's to -.53 with one. I figure it's kind of like a band-aid for the AFR till I do more that will need a tune(cam,etc.).
Old 12-10-2004, 08:09 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by code4
I was really worried about this before my mods. I read tons of threads about running rich/lean after mods. I installed the following all at once: mti lid, asp u/d pulley, qtp headers, tsp true duals & tr 224 cam. I hooked up a LM-1 wide band and my AFRs are perfect as far as I understand. At wot @3k rpm it is 12.8 & peaks out at 13.0 at 6k. This is on the street. The car is absolutely insane almost lost control in third gear tonight, gets great gas mileage etc. It's runs around high 14's to low 15's AFR while cruising. So I don't know if I'm just lucky or what It's still perfect after 1k miles since mods. So who knows how yours will react.
Good lord I bet that was just like getting a new car. Yeah looks like yours worked pretty well after the tune. Mine was at 12.1 a/f ratio. I have messed up 2 sets of 02's so i wouldnt replace them unless you have to untill you get a tune.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:39 AM
11 Second Club

I've been through two O2s on mine so far, and I put the QTP's in around August.

Quick Reply: Question about running rich after header install?