Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

GM Angry Over C6 Z06 Info/Render Leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 09:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM Angry Over C6 Z06 Info/Render Leak

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=101358

Oh God. As if those of us who know anything didn't already have a good idea of what the car was going to look like anyway. In this day and age, stuff is leaked every single day, I'm not saying it's right but it's the truth. Get over it GM.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Wow that was a good article. Here is a thread over at digital Corvettes posted by the guy "being made an exmaple of"

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...threadid=25709

Last edited by Shinkaze; 12-10-2004 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:42 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Isn't that a shame......poor GM
Old 12-11-2004, 12:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

they need to leak some new camaro info.

BASTARDS!
Old 12-11-2004, 02:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

I remember when I read about that weeks ago; that is amazing that it made to Autoweek.

Everytime GM does **** like this, it makes me want to not buy GM vehicles (forget for a moment that there is not a single GM vehicle that I would buy right now)
Old 12-11-2004, 02:54 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My line of thought here is this: If Gm leaks out stuff too early , it hurts current model sales and gives the competitors an edge to catch up with them.They're in business to sell cars and make a profit at it. I can somewhat understand GM's view on this , those photos were not to be released until a certain date and someone disrespected that.Also ,GM folks like Scott Settlemire , who actually visit the various websites get bombarded with people demanding info that can get them fired if they leak it out. I mean , come on , the guy is decent enough to try to listen what enthusiasts want and give that info to higher ups. Why abuse that? I really can see GM's point on this. You can start booing me now.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:24 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

badjuju342 - Nah I agree with ya.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:16 PM
Teching In

they are stupid...i mean dumb. i emailed them twice about info leaks and never got a reply. if they really cared they would of asked me for the URL. they don't care, i don't care
Old 12-12-2004, 04:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by number77
they are stupid...i mean dumb. i emailed them twice about info leaks and never got a reply. if they really cared they would of asked me for the URL. they don't care, i don't care
Did you think you would get a free car out of it, or what?
Old 12-12-2004, 07:39 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a buddy that's really into Dodges. The message board he goes to for all his Dodge stuff had a report of somewhere around 20 people being fired from the Ontario plant that's building the upcoming Charger. I guess they were leaking info...
Old 12-12-2004, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by badjuju342
My line of thought here is this: If Gm leaks out stuff too early , it hurts current model sales and gives the competitors an edge to catch up with them.They're in business to sell cars and make a profit at it. I can somewhat understand GM's view on this , those photos were not to be released until a certain date and someone disrespected that.Also ,GM folks like Scott Settlemire , who actually visit the various websites get bombarded with people demanding info that can get them fired if they leak it out. I mean , come on , the guy is decent enough to try to listen what enthusiasts want and give that info to higher ups. Why abuse that? I really can see GM's point on this. You can start booing me now.

Start booing? That's the best godamn point I've ever seen on this forum. That would really **** me of if the new Zo6 failed because of some jackass that wanted some attention.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JackZ28
Did you think you would get a free car out of it, or what?
yes i know, now i'm a troll right. continue
Old 12-16-2004, 12:09 AM
Staging Lane

Consider this.....

what is the value of being on the cover of nearly every magazine in January?

Can you put a value on that? Want to venture what that's worth?

Do you think Magazines want to put a picture of a car everyone's seen on the magazine cover?

It could be argued that "well...they will put it on there anyway".....

The point being is this: the photographs belonged to GM. they were put on a secure website that certain members of the media have access to...so that they can go to press with pictures on the embargo date. Someone broke that trust.

Now...if you don't agree with me....how 'bout giving me your bank card and pin number.....come on, you can trust me, can't you?

It comes down to ethics...and it's obvious that some don't have a sense of what good ethics are..........
Old 12-16-2004, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by badjuju342
Yes and no, Nissan very succesfuly built excitment for the Brand by previewing the 350Z years before it was produced. Pontiac has tried similar with the Solstice, and I think it's been succesful in building buzz about the brand and keeping faith in it's current & future lines.

As PSJ mentioned the other day, we are excited about these future models because we are fans. If anything GM should embrace this and develope relationships with the online community as VW/Audi has. Conversly look at the bad blood the Ford-vs.-Blue Oval News Lawsuit spawned. Thankfully GM hasn't been as bad about this as Ford has been, but print Magazines as a source of breaking information is long since dead.

There was once a time that "People" and "Time" were a serious source of news but with the advent of Cable there was suddenly bandwidth the hit specialty topics. Some would say car enthusiast subjects were unaffected by the rise of TV-broadcast because they were TOO focused on a specialty topic. Well the Internet allows any subject to be an instant medium for disseminating information. Magazines are going the way of the Dinosaur (at least in their current form), and GM/Ford, etc need to realize they have to develope serious relationships with the Internet now.

Last edited by Shinkaze; 12-16-2004 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

Just to add to what I said I think that the future will look like this. Major Car Magazines like Motor Trend and Car and Driver will begin to stagnate as Internet Savy readers start to get more and more of their information online. Magazines like "Sport Compact Car" and "Hot Rod" that deal with more journalistic pursuits of news that are "less time sensitive" will likely grow in readership or at least become more relevant.

I can't remember the last time Motor Trend, Car and Driver, etc had a spy photo or car news I hadn't allready heard of months in advance.

-Adam
Old 12-21-2004, 03:58 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

True enough and I can see your point on this. My main thing was those photos were placed into someone's trust , were supposed to be released on a certain date and not before. Someone broke that trust. Now they've effectively screwed themselves. Do you honestly think GM will let this wolf tend their flock of sheep again? I work for Peterbilt in one of their truck assembly plants. You can get into heaps of big trouble bringing a camera phone in that plant even if you've no intention of using it. I found the Z06 photos exciting and from the rumors I've heard GM is coming back like a Great White Shark on the competitors. It should have been GM's deciscion when to let that info , however . It's their property! Consider this: You build a motor , the Godzilla of motors , and you plan on unleashing this beast at a certain track on a certain date. You tell a small circle of people you trust and think your motor info is secure. You go on your favorite website like LS1tech and there's all the specs & pics of your motor! A. You just lost your advantage. B. Everyone is gonna scramble to come up with something comparable to it. By trusting someone , you got shafted! Now , in the future , will you trust those people again? NO! So , they're not privileged anymore to know what's up in your garage.The next project you're ultra tight lipped and nobody gets to know anything . Who's the bigger loser in this scenario? You lose because you can't trust anyone else to help you, they lose because they're not "in the know." I still defend GM's position on this . It was their property and their deciscion.I wouldn't enjoy getting screwed over like that, myself.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:12 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The amount of people on these message boards is a small percentage of the car buying market. We are the techies and enthusists which is a only a very small number compared to the overall buying public.

I've talked to lots of guys with ls1's who have no clue what ls1tech or ls1.com or ls2.com or corrvetteforums are. They don't go onto internet message boards but own multiple ls1 powered vehicles.

Honestly, a lot of the people who work at GM don't even know about the message boards either. Case in point, go to a car dealership and play dumb about the new 'vette. See how much crap they try to shovel at you because they aren't informed as well as we are.

**** happens, that's why it's only a secret if you don't tell anyone.

Quick Reply: GM Angry Over C6 Z06 Info/Render Leak